My simple wood base

Junuxx

In my current game I made a simple but effective type of base that I haven't seen anyone else post about.

s1QTcZL.png

Here's a 3d view. Legend:

Orange: Wood blocks,

Green: barbed wire on the floor on top of wood blocks,

Dark blue : Anti-spider lip (goes all around, but I ran out of space in this voxel app),

Black: Threshold that prevents cops from seeing me too early,

White: where I stand during horde night.

At some point you can add a roof with bars for vulture protection.

It's not a maze, doesn't exploit loops or fall damage.. Doesn't use excessive traps or anything really. Just a staircase, some blocks that prevent line of sight so cops don't puke at my base, lots of barbed wire to slow them down, and a single line straight to me so that they are really easy to shoot. I basically just shoot at the same pixel for a few minutes during horde night.

So far this design has withstood many ferals, cops, etc. Repair costs were never more than a handful of wood (mostly from when I miss zombies and hit a block) plus some iron for barbed wire.

People say building is dead etc, zombie block damage is too high. Well this has allowed me to have a big supply and crafting base connected directly to my horde defense base (something I'd never do in A16). You can make the base section as big as you want. Anything more durable than wood is not even necessary; it's so cheap to build that you can have the basic layout done by day 2.

I play on medium difficulty because I don't enjoy bullet sponge zombies, but I think it would still work fine on higher difficulties. You might just need a longer barbed wire section.

I think this works too well. One simple fix to this strategy would be to have some of the horde night zombies just always attack the closest player made blocks.

Well it does exploit the AI in that you can guarantee they will all file up the stairs and straight towards you, and thus they will never try to attack your base. So technically it IS a maze, just a straight one.

In A16 the AI would not have done this and many would instead have whaled on all your walls and supports and brought your base down easily.

I am curious as to what difficulty you are playing on, and the highest gamestage you have fought a horde night with this design. I am 100% sure that if you try this base on a decently high difficulty and on a late game horde night, you will be overwhelmed. You will just not have the firepower to stop them all before they get to you, and your barbed wire will be gone in seconds - all of it.

This is why most people start with your design then add a fall pit just before the zombies get to the player, which makes them infinite loop back up the ramp. (This removes the need for barbed wire).

In short, the the classic "AI exploit" design in A17 is what you have made above, but with the blocks in between the green and white tile in your diagram being the fall pit (extended to 2 blocks ofc).

Yeah, that's similar to what I use too. I'm not sure why you have your base elevated though - the same approach works fine if you are at the ground level.

I also use a corridor that's three blocks wide instead of one with two spaces on one side partially filled with iron traps to handle zombie overflow. Otherwise they may clog it up and start bashing on the walls. I added barb wire outside near the entrance to spread zombies out a bit.

I tried blade traps near the entrance, but they worked too well and I wasn't getting any experience. So I turn them on when I leave the base to keep screamers in check.

I think TFP's intent was to disable passive-only defenses. Slowing zombies down and sniping them works the same way it used to.

Well it does exploit the AI in that you can guarantee they will all file up the stairs and straight towards you, and thus they will never try to attack your base. So technically it IS a maze, just a straight one.

In A16 the AI would not have done this and many would instead have whaled on all your walls and supports and brought your base down easily.

I am curious as to what difficulty you are playing on, and the highest gamestage you have fought a horde night with this design. I am 100% sure that if you try this base on a decently high difficulty and on a late game horde night, you will be overwhelmed. You will just not have the firepower to stop them all before they get to you, and your barbed wire will be gone in seconds - all of it.

This is why most people start with your design then add a fall pit just before the zombies get to the player, which makes them infinite loop back up the ramp. (This removes the need for barbed wire).

In short, the the classic "AI exploit" design in A17 is what you have made above, but with the blocks in between the green and white tile in your diagram being the fall pit (extended to 2 blocks ofc).

Pretty much ANY type of hordebase "exploits" the AI, in the sense we know the ai is making a path

toward us (the players) every horde night, and we prepare for it.

And the op says he/she is playing on medium. Just read the entire post.

I like the OP's design. Looks simple and usable enough.

Pretty much ANY type of hordebase "exploits" the AI, in the sense we know the ai is making a path

toward us (the players) every horde night, and we prepare for it.

And the op says he/she is playing on medium. Just read his entire post.

I like the OP's design. Looks simple and usable enough.

There is any horde base that does not?

Totally agree, I don't have any issue with players, myself included, cheesing the AI for a base. I take issue that it essentially the only way to do it now.

I will agree that it doesn't exploit loops or fall damage, but it does clearly exploit AI pathing still.

I think knowing that they will move along a player designed gauntlet is no more or less exploitive than knowing they couldn’t squeeze between the gaps between columns in A16. Both are designs that are actively tended by the player.

Faatal has introduced some variation so that all zombies don’t do the same exact thing and he’s working on the looping as well. I’ll be interested to see how your base design works in A17.1 :)

That's possible. I played up to day ~90 (but with really short days). I can check my gs later at home.

Yeah, that's similar to what I use too. I'm not sure why you have your base elevated though - the same approach works fine if you are at the ground level.

It's so they can't see me from far away. Cops only start puking when they see you. Also, so that spiders don't skip the barbed wire. I guess putting a roof on the whole thing would work too. Not sure what would take more resources to build.

Additionally, jumping is slow, and when they jump on the threshold they tend to just stand there for a second. If I shoot them there and they go flying, they have to climb the stairs again.

but.... posts like this precisely prove that building is dead. I want to need a fortress to survive, and I want to need to keep upgrading it each bloodmoon. Not use a wooden path....

True, in this sense advanced building has become kind of pointless. I meant the type of posts saying building large bases has become impossible because they get destroyed. Those are the people building pillar bases or 360 degree bases like they would in a16 I guess.

This absolutely exploits AI pathing, but then that's nothing new. Also, if the voxel design is accurate, then the zombies will fall through the barbed wire and loop round again, so that's another exploit.

Ah, I was unclear. Green blocks are wood with barbed wire on top, not just barbed wire.

I’ll be interested to see how your base design works in A17.1 :)

Me too! I hope it doesn't.

The litmustest for the ai would be a comparison to how a base would fair against a group of conscious players controlling the zombies.

In the above base, what would the human controllers do?

Probably one group attacking the base of the tower, while other zombies run along the ridge of the bridge (avoiding the barbed wire in the middle).

A perfect ai could imitate that reasoning. So maybe we get there one day.

I think knowing that they will move along a player designed gauntlet is no more or less exploitive than knowing they couldn’t squeeze between the gaps between columns in A16. Both are designs that are actively tended by the player.

Faatal has introduced some variation so that all zombies don’t do the same exact thing and he’s working on the looping as well. I’ll be interested to see how your base design works in A17.1 :)

100% agree, and am pretty excited to do some builds in the new patch when released

but.... posts like this precisely prove that building is dead. I want to need a fortress to survive, and I want to need to keep upgrading it each bloodmoon. Not use a wooden path....

Like this?

A17.0_2018-12-13_10-32-19.jpg.c7b2f5abef240ff46b6feb211f920994.jpg

A17.0_2018-12-13_10-32-46.jpg.000499fddae16f7d9e3fea654cd8c908.jpg

A17.0_2018-12-13_10-52-22.jpg.85cfa95a38f3c8c6fc58c41b474b4faa.jpg

Was done before the recent optimization so low resolution lol, and for whatever reason, the steam screenshot wasn't working so I used debug shot. Check out the one done at like 5am, lost spikes but they didn't even touch the walls. Mix of wood/iron reinforced wood with a cobblestone wall. Wood bars up top, triple door entry just in case.. but it wasn't even needed. That base survived till day 28 when I quit the world for a new build, built a bigger similar version on my new game after surviving the third bloodmoon in a house, haven't had a chance to play it for day 28 horde, but I assume it'll hold just the same. Both done on survivalist difficulty with 16 blood moon spawns.

Like this?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27007[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27008[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27009[/ATTACH]

Was done before the recent optimization so low resolution lol, and for whatever reason, the steam screenshot wasn't working so I used debug shot. Check out the one done at like 5am, lost spikes but they didn't even touch the walls. Mix of wood/iron reinforced wood with a cobblestone wall. Wood bars up top, triple door entry just in case.. but it wasn't even needed. That base survived till day 28 when I quit the world for a new build, built a bigger similar version on my new game after surviving the third bloodmoon in a house, haven't had a chance to play it for day 28 horde, but I assume it'll hold just the same. Both done on survivalist difficulty with 16 blood moon spawns.

OFC it works. I am building stuff like that too. the problem is, it is a waste. Thats should be needed to survive, instead, it's just a waste of mats to do. Doesnt mean it wont work.

There is something stopping you from doing so?

Just because there are ways to cheese the AI doesn't mean it's a waste to do a normal base...

because you build and fortify a 360؛ perimeter.... and only 5% of it gets attacked. So doing paths/mazes is much more efficient. I dont do them, b ut it still sucks that my perimeter is only built bc I like it, not bc it's what is needed.

Test it and see if that is true. I think you underestimate how strong the horde becomes in later gamestages. They will tear through concrete like it is paper.

But, I'm not standing there staring at them, nor are my walls just concrete. Spikes on the wall = both HP on the wall and DPS to zombies. Spikes layered and stacked = more HP to walls and more DPS to zombies. 1x1 moat with spikes = more DPS to zombies, less time to the walls. By the time they get to the walls, they're dead from combat from me and damage to spikes. I don't underestimate ♥♥♥♥, I play tactically lol. I've had similar bases at later game stages in other games with rad zombies, wights, cops coming at me all night and the base stood. Walls ALONE don't work. Walls + carefully placed traps do...

and Kalaroo, read what you type, that made zero sense. Okay so 5% got attacked (in my case, 40% got attacked...), so how is that not efficient? I replace the spikes in that area and I'm done. The other spikes don't vanish at the end of the night... but yes I would like them to attack the entire base, but it doesn't make it worthless and "building a base is pointless, cheesing is the only way to play the game"

how is that not efficient?

The new horde AI+block damage encourages exploiting that AI to a single point, so you can fortify 1 point only, instead of 360؛ perimeter. Thats what I mean with 90% of the defenses beeing wasted, bc you can easily just build the 10% they are going to attack instead of surro8unding yourself with 360؛ defenses, which is what would make sense and is cool.

I repeat, I still do perimeter defense fortresses, but it sucks knowing that I could do a defense with 20% of the mats Im using if I focus on the new AI instead of still building like if it would be the old AI.

I want to need a fortress to survive

I think this hits the nail on its head, for me.

Some will argue that the game isn't forcing you to cheese and exploit, true, but not the point.

Limiting yourself to build a fortress when there is no point to that is a very different experience from *needing* good defenses if you want to stand a chance, and the game punishing you hard if you didn't prepare a solid defense.

Archived