I'm back... and lots has changed (except for MM's beard!)

stinnaz

Hi everyone,

After taking a decent break from 7D2D, I've returned refreshed and reinvigorated, with Alpha 17 being the bait to lure me in.

It's good to see so many familiar names are still here on the forums, and one or two who seem to have been promoted from lowly scum like me to QA Testers & Mod's - well done you!

Up until early A16, I would have classified myself as a semi-seasoned pro, but it seems after the hours I've put into A17 over the last week or so, absolutely loads has changed with this release! No books?! No gun parts?! No Xp from doing?! Wow! Plenty for me to get used to. It certainly seems a lot harder up front now, especially the first week, but hey, I'm not saying that's a bad thing.

So what I'd like to know is how you are coping? I used to have it down with regards to a good build plan, where I was going to put my points, where/how to loot, strategies etc etc to get me up and running in a reasonable time. But so much has changed I feel like a total newb now!

How are you coping with weather (get super hot super quick now), the fun and games of stamina early doors, where are you putting your points now etc etc? Also is it just me, or do you find yourself playing a good percentage of the time under a negative buff? - if it's not illness, it's weather, if it's not weather it's hunger, if not hunger then you've died and you're being punished by the Gods for being so crappy/unlucky a player and losing stamina and stats?

Anyway, it's really good to be back, and the game is so different yet again, it feels like we keep getting sequels rather then revisions. I haven't even got trying all the new vehicles yet! Hopefully that's a good thing (and they don't do the old minibike "now you see me, now you don't" shuffle!).

So if you're ready to help an old dog learn new tricks, throw me a bone or two. All tips/tricks and any info you think I should check out, very gratefully received.

Finally, just to say that it really is great to see the forums are still so active, and as usual full of information, debate, fun, flames, irreverence and indeed the one and only Gup! Some things will never change eh?!

Welcome back!

In my opinion, one of the best things to realize is that in this version when running we are much faster than anything else in the game. Instead of backpedaling just turn and run to get some distance. You’ll always lose them if that’s what you want or give yourself enough distance to shoot them while they catch up. Also at night they can’t actually see you. They are simply running to the last place you made noise.

Concentrate on food/water/cooking pot initially to help offset the stamina drain, coffee etc are helpful too. Levelling is pretty easy in the first week and points go where you feel you need em. Mainly using stealth and bow myself and really enjoying it. Careful of the dungeon pois as you can get ferals etc early on. Magic bikes are still a thing unfortunately, bicycles a hoot dunno about the rest. Normal bases dont survive now so watch for that too!

Welcome back and enjoy!

Thanks to both of you for your warm welcomes. Still no ziplines then Roland?!

I have to say I've found night time quite weird in A17 - hard to get used to the idea that actually it's okay to go out at night and move around/chop trees etc, as long as you're crouched and moderately careful. An old habit I need to break then.

As for dungeons/POI's - really liking that improvement. Finding a little "set-piece" on a construction site, or under a house, really nice and makes the world feel much more lived in. Like you say, sometimes they do come with a punch though!

I'm on A17.0 stable at the mo - worth updating to 17.1 for the improvements/fixes to stamina etc?

Also how are you coping with temperatures? The values for heat and cold are separate and don't influence each other do they? E.g. if an item has Heat 6 and cold 3, it doesn't even out to +3 heat and -3 cold?

Also Yukka Juice used to be my staple for warmer climes, and in fact the text for the item does still say about cooling effects, but does that no longer work and the text is wrong? Didn't seem to do anything for me anyway.

Final one - heat as in heat hordes. I couldn't find anything more up to date than A16 describing how this works. It seems pretty unforgiving now - is there somewhere you could point me in the direction of to explain how it works and indeed, how AI pathing now works - is it all that new "breadcrumb" stuff still?

Great to be back anyway - loving it again and happy to add to the almost 1500+hrs I already had.

Thanks to both of you for your warm welcomes. Still no ziplines then Roland?!

I have to say I've found night time quite weird in A17 - hard to get used to the idea that actually it's okay to go out at night and move around/chop trees etc, as long as you're crouched and moderately careful. An old habit I need to break then.

As for dungeons/POI's - really liking that improvement. Finding a little "set-piece" on a construction site, or under a house, really nice and makes the world feel much more lived in. Like you say, sometimes they do come with a punch though!

I'm on A17.0 stable at the mo - worth updating to 17.1 for the improvements/fixes to stamina etc?

Also how are you coping with temperatures? The values for heat and cold are separate and don't influence each other do they? E.g. if an item has Heat 6 and cold 3, it doesn't even out to +3 heat and -3 cold?

Also Yukka Juice used to be my staple for warmer climes, and in fact the text for the item does still say about cooling effects, but does that no longer work and the text is wrong? Didn't seem to do anything for me anyway.

Final one - heat as in heat hordes. I couldn't find anything more up to date than A16 describing how this works. It seems pretty unforgiving now - is there somewhere you could point me in the direction of to explain how it works and indeed, how AI pathing now works - is it all that new "breadcrumb" stuff still?

Great to be back anyway - loving it again and happy to add to the almost 1500+hrs I already had.

If you are having fun with 17.0 then no real need. If you are finding stamina issues to be a bother and/or you are thinking of restarting then for sure go with 17.1

For temperature all you need to look at is the value that effects the biome you are entering and ignore the rest. The Heat 6 is heat resistance 6 and the Cold 3 is cold resistance 3 so when you are in the desert where there is no cold debuff the value that resists cold doesn't matter in the least. It means that in temperate biomes like the forest you rarely have to change your clothing at all. If you are in the desert a lot though you might want to change to 17.1 because in 17.0 getting wet has no effect but it does in 17.1 which can be a godsend in the desert.

I think yukka juice and snowberry juice have been switched for their effects. Yukka juice now warms you for snow biome and snowberry juice cools you for the desert biome. Someone thought it was clever to make you go to the other biome to make juice that protects you for the one you are in. :)

snip

Thanks for the feedback Roland. I did make the switch to 17.1 last night in the end, and i'm finding it much better (especially stamina!).

Also it looks like the description for Yukka Juice got fixed in 17.1 so no longer says it cools, which is nice.

Archived