Dedicated Server vs Public Hosting Performance

ghettochild2600

I host a muliplayer game for a couple friends and almost every horde night after day 14 causes considerable lag/fps drop during blood moon. If I were to setup a dedicated server to take the load off my gaming rig would this circumvent this issue? I'm guessing a lot of the drops are due to zombies spawning in and AI scripts running. I'd really like to increase zombie count as well.

Gaming rig is a 8700k, 1080 Ti SLI, m.2 & ssd raid 0, 16gb 4133MHz h20.

I have an i5-6500, 16gb, ssd machine here doing nothing and wonder if that would work well for a dedicated?

Never use the same machine to game on that you host. You are better off getting a bare bones toaster and running a server on that locally.

Yes that other box you have will work fine. But setting up ports and NAT can be a hassle if you aren’t so inclined

Never use the same machine to game on that you host. You are better off getting a bare bones toaster and running a server on that locally.

Yes that other box you have will work fine. But setting up ports and NAT can be a hassle if you aren’t so inclined

I had no issues setting up a linux (headless) server. Definitely better performance. I spawned 200 zombies just to test it's limits and was still getting about 45 fps. I had no problem setting up ports or anything. I work as a linux server admin for a hosting company so I have my own hardware firewall/vpn setup. All that good stuff. Thanks for responding.

• 1 year later...
On 1/9/2019 at 1:25 AM, ghettochild2600 said:

I host a muliplayer game for a couple friends and almost every horde night after day 14 causes considerable lag/fps drop during blood moon. If I were to setup a dedicated server to take the load off my gaming rig would this circumvent this issue? I'm guessing a lot of the drops are due to zombies spawning in and AI scripts running. I'd really like to increase zombie count as well.

Gaming rig is a 8700k, 1080 Ti SLI, m.2 & ssd raid 0, 16gb 4133MHz h20.

I have an i5-6500, 16gb, ssd machine here doing nothing and wonder if that would work well for a dedicated?

I host 7 days to die on a very similar system and it works just fine. I reboot daily to flush memory as we have quite a few users on occasion and that seems to help greatly. I have hosted maps up to 16K in size, but keep our zombie count capped. You can still have a huge stream of zombies lasting all night long while only allowing 65 on screen at a time. I'm only running an RTX 2070 Super OC, but I can't imagine very good FPS with 200 zombies as a cap. 

Archived