Please consider adding a high HP, low Damage, slight slowdown trap

FileMachete

The removed cone shaped spike traps had a very useful balance & seldom killed.

Adding something like a grate block with sharpened bars. High hitpoints so not destoyed by even a few dozen z's passing over it. Low damage output, compared to current wood/iron spikes, so even a base z wouldn't die passing over say four or six of them. Give it a slight movement speed reduction; not as much as barb wire. And add a decent dismemberment chance.

Idealy a flat 'plate' model, damage output for both sides so could just slap down or could use them 'upside-down' as the last block outside of a doubled pole defense type wall and z's would still be standing on them while beating down the poles.

These, along w AI tweaks, would hopefully help to reintroduce melee bases that aren't xp stealers.

That would be a fun trap. :)

Not quite what I was envisioning though. Well, I think it would be a bit of a reach if they had say a 1000 hps anyway :)

Basically the current spikes either kill the zed or are destroyed. I'd not only like to be able to get the xp by finishing them off myself, but it'd also be nice to be able to repair, rather than replace. Not just due to the time cost of re-crafting a bunch of traps, but hopefully bring back some of the challenge during a horde night. Trying to keep up w both repairing and fighting.

The lack of the extra workload/stress of repairing is one of the reasons I personally don't care for a tower setup.

---

If they did bring in electrified barb wire I think it might need to be individually wired per block. Wired in series would 'normally' result in any one piece breaking, breaking the whole chain...

Flat, plate type hmm.

Glue+plate = Sticky plate.

Glue+plate+broken glass = foot killer.

Marbles = Roll and fall.

Rounded pebbles = roll and fall trap.

Spiked planks = Just planks with nails poking (way) through to the other side.

Do want, that'd be a fun little trap.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you can already do this now: It is possible to have the cables of the electric fences run through barbed wire fences - I actually use this in my horde base and it works nicely.

Soooooooooooo, you're asking for electric wire fence, which already is in game.

Its most underused trap in game which does exactly what OP asks for, low damage, slow down, won't break unless badly placed/runs out of power, can be wired so it creates corridor of slight pain and crowd control at low maintenance cost.

heh, yeah, basically Katitof :) except as a non-powered block, available in early game. With less damage than the e-fences.

I haven't gotten far enough in any a17 game to use electricity. Tbh I don't know what lvl it unlocks at.

I do like the electric fences & used them all the time in a16.

Why do you need this when barbed wire is so easy/cheap to make?

At 1 block height zombies tend not to bash it, so easy to stick in doorways to slow down a rush of greenies.

If anything barbed wire is over powered as only the cops seem to take it out.

I'd quite like a glue trap though just for an alternative or perhaps an oil trap (oil on smooth surface) to make them slip up. Slippy floor and running doors is always good in real life at least.

Did folks use the log spikes in A16? Yes.

Their balance was towards maiming rather than killing.

They did less damage than the spikes in A17.

Even if not fully upgraded to steel you seldom had dozens destroyed.

The combination of many more hit points and lower damage allowed them to survive long enough to be repaired while fighting.

Repairing added to gameplay.

I find early game horde nights in A17 much less entertaining due to the (current) inability to build a non-cheese melee base.

-- I don't consider sitting in a box while a significant majority of the zeds are killed by spikes to be meleeing

-- nor is shooting them while they're slowed down

I think adding back a block similar to the log spikes could help to bring back viable, no-cheese, melee bases in A17.

I am getting more and more curious. What is a non-cheese base?

That's an interesting question if you dig into it.

While there's no question that a tower base; where someone stands above the z's shooting down while protected from harm by a birdcage is 'legit' gameplay. If there's no risk, is it cheesy?

TFPs certainly appear to find underground bases cheesy, yet it could be argued it was/is legit gameplay.

Maze bases; cheesy? Certainly seems to be un-intended, and most comments appear to generally agree they're cheesy. While some folks seem to enjoy them.

So I suppose, like so many many things, it's a personal opinion. For me if there's no risk there isn't much fun. Which doesn't directly equate to being cheesy. No skin off my nose if someone wants to avoid the horde by digging to bedrock under a mountain, or builds an unbreachable bunker where they can do chores while the horde uselessly flails away.

Yet a looper base, where the z's climb a ramp, fall off end, and circle around endlessly is pretty cheesy, to me. And since you can smack the z's w a melee weapon as they come by, some consider a looper to be a melee base. And that's totally fine. It's not what I'd prefer though.

Not saying 'go back to a16', but you had an option for making bases in a16 where you could do a lot of meleeing. And from the very first bloodmoon.

Anyway, I'm overusing the 'cheese' word. And unintentionally insulting some folks. I hope any I've offended will accept my apology.

And I'm not being PC, or caving to sociatal pressure when I say, 'if it's fun for you then have at it and enjoy!'. I honestly think & feel that.

It's a game, it should be fun, whatever someones definition is.

For me, I used to have a lot of fun on horde nights. That consisted of lots of meleeing, repairing, switching turrets/traps on & off, moving around to spread damage, etc. I'm not having fun atm during A17 horde nights and I'd like that to change. So after considering how things are working right now, and comparing to a16, it seemed that something similar to log spikes, along w tweaks to the new AI, might help bring back a certain playstyle that I'm quite fond of.

That's an interesting question if you dig into it.

While there's no question that a tower base; where someone stands above the z's shooting down while protected from harm by a birdcage is 'legit' gameplay. If there's no risk, is it cheesy?

TFPs certainly appear to find underground bases cheesy, yet it could be argued it was/is legit gameplay.

Maze bases; cheesy? Certainly seems to be un-intended, and most comments appear to generally agree they're cheesy. While some folks seem to enjoy them.

So I suppose, like so many many things, it's a personal opinion. For me if there's no risk there isn't much fun. Which doesn't directly equate to being cheesy. No skin off my nose if someone wants to avoid the horde by digging to bedrock under a mountain, or builds an unbreachable bunker where they can do chores while the horde uselessly flails away.

Yet a looper base, where the z's climb a ramp, fall off end, and circle around endlessly is pretty cheesy, to me. And since you can smack the z's w a melee weapon as they come by, some consider a looper to be a melee base. And that's totally fine. It's not what I'd prefer though.

Not saying 'go back to a16', but you had an option for making bases in a16 where you could do a lot of meleeing. And from the very first bloodmoon.

Anyway, I'm overusing the 'cheese' word. And unintentionally insulting some folks. I hope any I've offended will accept my apology.

And I'm not being PC, or caving to sociatal pressure when I say, 'if it's fun for you then have at it and enjoy!'. I honestly think & feel that.

It's a game, it should be fun, whatever someones definition is.

For me, I used to have a lot of fun on horde nights. That consisted of lots of meleeing, repairing, switching turrets/traps on & off, moving around to spread damage, etc. I'm not having fun atm during A17 horde nights and I'd like that to change. So after considering how things are working right now, and comparing to a16, it seemed that something similar to log spikes, along w tweaks to the new AI, might help bring back a certain playstyle that I'm quite fond of.

I'm curious, what did the old log spikes do that the current type of spikes ones don't?

I guess what I'm asking is: why are you hoping the old spikes come back instead of the new ones changing in some way? What was your playstyle it would bring back?

(edited for clarity)

Obviously!

Why do you want log spikes back rather than the type of spikes we have now is the crux of my question. You stated that it would bring back a playstyle for you. I was curious what that style was.

I didn't state that haha, I thought you were under the impression that we still had log spikes due to your statement of "what did the old log spikes do that the current ones don't?"

My thought was: The old log spikes existed, while the current ones are nonexistent lmao

I didn't state that haha, I thought you were under the impression that we still had log spikes due to your statement of "what did the old log spikes do that the current ones don't?"

My thought was: The old log spikes existed, while the current ones are nonexistent lmao

Sorry thought you were the OP I was replying too lol. Didn't take the half sec to compare names :D

I'm curious, what did the old log spikes do that the current type of spikes ones don't?

I guess what I'm asking is: why are you hoping the old spikes come back instead of the new ones changing in some way? What was your playstyle it would bring back?

(edited for clarity)

The old log spikes were more likely to maim a zed, taking off a leg so they became a crawler, than to just kill them.

They had many more hit points, balanced to materials of course, so they were more likely to survive a horde night instead of being destroyed.

The ones closest to your walls could be repaired during the horde. Sure you can repair the current spikes but there's a much smaller window to do so due to their lower amount of hitpoints.

While it's certainly possible to change the current spikes total hps, and damage output, so that they become similar to the old log spikes, it would seem that TFPs would have done so if they had intended to. So I'm guessing the current wood/iron spikes are acting as intended.

As to the playstyle. I'd very much like to be able to melee, from inside a base, in early, mid & late game, without the base build depending on certain AI behavior that faatal has said he is working on. The addition/return of something like the old log spikes _could_ assist with this, in my opinion. Example; turning a runner into a crawler spreads out the zeds.

I'm not sure the above is any more useful in explaining what I'm attempting to convey. If not then my apologies, not sure how else to say it :(

Edit: "What was your playstyle it would bring back?"

Specifically in a16, it was pole walled bases w a double row of log spikes in front. First day 7 horde would be a 5x5 made of cobblestone & maybe the inner row of log spikes upgraded to scrap iron. There could be some frantic moments trying to lure z's to another area when poles were about to fail, and trying to keep up w repairs to poles & spikes vs. smacking zed's w a club. I find that kind of horde defense engaging. And what I'm hoping will make a return: playstyle wise. Doesn't have to be poles or log spikes, just some magic sauce where I'm doing most of the work, not the spikes.

Archived