Zombies not syncing on dedicated?

I played a LOT of A17 in single player after it came out and have mostly enjoyed it, so I updated my dedicated server, wiped the old saves, and started fresh. However, something is VERY off. In single player I am a sledgehammer god. I can smack down lumberjacks with ease. However, on my dedicated server, which is two 6ft stretches of shielded Cat6 and a gigabit Ethernet switch from my gaming rig, I am CONSTANTLY being one-shotted by these things. Smack one in the head and it stumbles backwards and then teleports to being right in your face and kills you in a single hit. I even had a vulture spawn INSIDE my character while walking down a highway. I could not move or damage the thing. It killed me in three hits. It is almost like my client will show me one animation and the server is doing something entirely different. This does not happen if I host a listen server or in single player, so I am fairly sure this is a replication issue of some kind.

Have any of you had issues like this which are unrelated to latency or packet-loss? I think I am going to record a quick demo of this happening. I'll likely wipe my server, then give myself a sledgehammer and go find one to fight.

I played a LOT of A17 in single player after it came out and have mostly enjoyed it, so I updated my dedicated server, wiped the old saves, and started fresh. However, something is VERY off. In single player I am a sledgehammer god. I can smack down lumberjacks with ease. However, on my dedicated server, which is two 6ft stretches of shielded Cat6 and a gigabit Ethernet switch from my gaming rig, I am CONSTANTLY being one-shotted by these things. Smack one in the head and it stumbles backwards and then teleports to being right in your face and kills you in a single hit. I even had a vulture spawn INSIDE my character while walking down a highway. I could not move or damage the thing. It killed me in three hits. It is almost like my client will show me one animation and the server is doing something entirely different. This does not happen if I host a listen server or in single player, so I am fairly sure this is a replication issue of some kind.

Have any of you had issues like this which are unrelated to latency or packet-loss? I think I am going to record a quick demo of this happening. I'll likely wipe my server, then give myself a sledgehammer and go find one to fight.

Sounds like a ton of server lag. I know that my server has a small amount of lag compared to my local game, but no where near what you're describing.

There is no lag. I created a video to demonstrate the bug just now and will be posting a link when it uploads. It is slow. 18.3GB of RAW 1440p video. I literally have the server underneath the table my rig is on. I go out through shielded Cat6 into a gigabit switch which has 15k jumbo frame support, then through another shielded Cat6 into the server. No lag here, none. This is a bug which I only see on multiplayer, not on single player.

Video should be up in an hour or two. Youtube throttles uploads. I have 30Mbps up but am getting nowhere near that to Youtube.

This has always been this way for me. Melee is much easier and more responsive on single player than it is on multiplayer. The ping to my dedicated server is usually 20ms or less and doesn't make any difference. It's always been a night and day difference between single player melee and multiplayer.

The most common issue I get is things like I'll smack a zed and then back up and be a good 8 feet away and still get hit in MP. It's like me or the zed is not really where the client thinks it is leading to the appearance that the zed must have 8 feet long arms. But, in single player that never occurs.

OK, I finished uploading. The first instance of zombie movement is at 36 seconds in. I hit him on the head with a sledgehammer and he stumbles back, but watch him (legs too!) recover. He almost "slides" up to be in my face after being knocked back.

The second instance is at 1min, 42 seconds in. He stumbles back and then quickly gets right in my face as though he had never been knocked back.

The third and fourth times just seem to slightly bug him and he doesn't really stumble back. No problem here. The first two however, notice how after being knocked physically back, their animation just slides across the terrain towards me. My theory is that the client didn't tell the server that the hit was a knock-back, so the server keeps the zombie marching towards me. Meanwhile my client renders the knock-back and then asks the server for the zombies new location, direction, animation, etc, and the server says the zombie is in my face, so my client renders the transition from the knock-back animation to the walking animation while adjusting his position, making him "slide" towards me in that animation.

This is all just an educated guess based on my knowledge of replication, not any proof. I do not have access to the game source and I do not work with The Pimps.

So does anybody else get this in any capacity? I did not have this in A15 or A16.

Archived