Dealing with Game difficulty

hookamenace

I'm going to start off saying I love the new update. It's like playing a whole new game and it is amazing. I like the skill system, the random gen, and love the POIs. The issue I am having is the zombie levels (it is a server I am playing on, so don't know the difficulty). I am level 108 and have focused more on construction. Maybe that was a mistake as clearing out any POI is now very difficult. There is always at least 3 radiated feral zombies, if not double that on a bigger POI. They take forever to kill and I drain a ton of shotgun ammo. Now getting lead, nitrite and coal is not much of an issue. But this is making scavenging very hard and I can only go through may 3 to 4 POIs a day.

Now this is not a complain despite how I sound. What can I do to make myself stronger? I am using a sniper rifle, shotgun, and compound bow with Steel Arrows. I level 3 on headshot and try to stealth as much as I can, but If you do not one shot the zombies, it tends to alert the rest. I am starting to level up on my ranged attacks.

On a side note, anyone else having a hard time getting bones to make glue?

I'm going to start off saying I love the new update. It's like playing a whole new game and it is amazing. I like the skill system, the random gen, and love the POIs. The issue I am having is the zombie levels (it is a server I am playing on, so don't know the difficulty). I am level 108 and have focused more on construction. Maybe that was a mistake as clearing out any POI is now very difficult. There is always at least 3 radiated feral zombies, if not double that on a bigger POI. They take forever to kill and I drain a ton of shotgun ammo. Now getting lead, nitrite and coal is not much of an issue. But this is making scavenging very hard and I can only go through may 3 to 4 POIs a day.

Now this is not a complain despite how I sound. What can I do to make myself stronger? I am using a sniper rifle, shotgun, and compound bow with Steel Arrows. I level 3 on headshot and try to stealth as much as I can, but If you do not one shot the zombies, it tends to alert the rest. I am starting to level up on my ranged attacks.

What mods do you have on your shotgun? I was really having a hard time until I was able to make my own shotgun that was better than level 2 so I could put some mods on it. The amount of shots it took to kill any glowing zombie was a big problem without the mods. Of course some of them have a lot more HP than others also. Glowing Bikers and Wights were especially difficult to deal with since they would eat all 8 shots forcing me to run away. I found the schematic for the rad remover mod that stops them from regenerating. I tend to use that one on my shotgun also. It doesn't seem like it does much at this point, but if you have limited mod slots, it would probably make a big difference. May RNG be on your side with that one.

Yes, I have said several times that there is not enough bone and fat resource once you hit mid game. People who either don't have play styles that require the animal fat, or haven't played far enough in to need lots of duct tape, will argue that you don't require it. Because reasons. Good luck with that.

I have no mods on the shotgun. The issue with that, is that every once in a while the game glitches and freezes. When I log back in, my toolbelt is gone. So I have not been able to keep my shotgun mods. Luckily I can craft shotguns so I can remake my whole toolbelt, but without bone it is a little tricky getting glue and then duct tape.

bones are hard to get enough. you kill animals in your area, they do not respawn fast, takes a week or more to get animals back in same area. roadkills are not enough eiter. get few from looting, still not enough.

my suggestion is: make 10% of zombies drop bag with bones. nothing extra valuable, just bones. 10 per bag. so you can get roughly 1 bone per killed zombie. maybe less, like 5 in bag, so it does not get too easy.

that also gives motivation to kill zombie (i assume, xp from kill will be lowered a lot, since now we get way too high xp from ordinary z kill)

Yeah quite a few people have that problem.

Others don't because they play differently.

Best solutions:

- Make Traders your friend.

Buy Tape.

- Designate a day here and there for hunting.

Spend time in forest mining rocks. You'll eventually get some animals.

- Modify the XML to give more bones for animals.

I find x3 is just the right amount.

I am currently playing 2 games, 1 MP and 1 SP.

I made the same mistake in the MP server and is now slowly recoving from it.

Get the following perk:

1# Boom! Headshot!

2# Automatic Weapons/Shotgun Messiah/Gunslinger/Dead Eye (pick one or two,I prefer Automatic weapon for it make both 9mm and 7.62 ammo useful)

3# Run and Gun,Fortitude Attribute/Pain Tolerance (it helps but not as important as the two damage perk above so these are optional)

Remember these perk only cost 1 point each, but the Perception/Fortitude Attribute can cost up to 5 points at level 10. So it make more sense to level them up equally instead of maxing any 1 perk first.

Bring an axe with you. If you see any carcass/dead body(not fallen zombie) break them down with the axe for 0~2 bone. This won't let you find tons of bone in a short period of time. However if you collect them as you play you should have enough for upgrade/building.

Yeah you're going to have a tough time if your weapon is unmodded, because aside from the functionality, you're also missing the damage increase every mod gives.

I also find the rate of fire on the shotgun too low and the magazine too small for what it does. In my experience, the SMG or AK with a few mods is far superior for dealing with multiple high level zombies.

But honestly, even with fully modded weapons and an almost maxed out perception tree, I found late stage POIs to be barely worth it. The zombies become bullet sponges and the loot is not enough to make up for lost resources. A lot of people seem to be using spike traps or barbed wire to immobilize zombies and get easy headshots while preventing them from swarming you, but somehow that feels cheesy and laborious to me. I'd much prefer some more crowd control abilities, but so far there's only the shotgun perk and "cripple 'em" mods that point in this direction. Oh and the sledgehammer AOE perk, if it's actually working.

Stealth doesn't really feel like it's worth the huge investment in perk points. Waking up zombies is almost inevitable, and every time that happened, I wished I had put those points into survivability or damage output instead.

Archived