the one land claim rule ruins multiplayer

EdwardSmith

I should be able to setup a PVE server without any mods and have safe, fun environment where other players can’t be griefed through normal game mechanics.

Hackers are hackers and will always find glitches. I’m talking about ♥♥♥♥ like the broken zed digging grief right now. That is a built in mechanic, and yes it’s being loooked at for 17.X, that should have an off switch.

This is naive at best. Part of griefing is using the game's mechanics to troll players. It really doesn't matter what the mechanics are, or how safe you think they are, griefers will find a way. Whitelisting isn't a guarantee, but it goes a lot further to prevent griefers than any normal game mechanic can.

Was there ever a reason given as to why they moved the zombie protection from bedrolls to claims? I suspect that is a good part of the reason they only allow one, to prevent killing spawns.

I saw nothing wrong with bedrolls controlling that. My previous snark aside, I agree. LCB can be important to builds. For the life of me Im trying to think of a good gameplay related reason why they did this.

Perhaps as a way of controlling people from being able to grief quest POIS? If thats the case a simple server option like AllowMultipleLCB=false would fix that

The reason they are only allowing one is to stop griefing. So that some jerk can't decided to come on and put one in every POI they can find and stop people from being able to quest. Because the quests have to find a POI that they can use. If there is a LCB in the POI the quests won't work in them. However I have said from the beginning that admins can deal with said jerks just as they have been doing from the get go. If an admin really finds it a problem then they could limit LCBs by only giving them out. But most would either use something that monitors it or has people that monitor it and ban offenders.

The reason they are only allowing one is to stop griefing. So that some jerk can't decided to come on and put one in every POI they can find and stop people from being able to quest. Because the quests have to find a POI that they can use. If there is a LCB in the POI the quests won't work in them. However I have said from the beginning that admins can deal with said jerks just as they have been doing from the get go. If an admin really finds it a problem then they could limit LCBs by only giving them out. But most would either use something that monitors it or has people that monitor it and ban offenders.

Admins can see land claims and most don't like when players land claim POI's (Like loot POI's, working stiffs,popnpills,ect.) but each server has its own set of rules, they can very quickly teleport to the location and remove those land claims, and in my experience I have not seen very much POI land claiming except for players making a base inside them, occasionally I came across people who land claimed them for competitive reasons, making it only 1 land claim was a horrible idea even if it was meant to prevent stuff like this, honestly that won't stop griefing and most of them are likely to just teleport to your base and just blow it up/remove your land claims, ect.

What we need are more tools that actually help admins with policing their server, right now they can't even clip underground to see players trying to explot the X-ray glitch and can't go invisible last I remember so how are they supposed to catch any cheating players in the act?

Remember that LCBs cost 100 Forged Iron each before the A17 epiphany, and took a while to craft. Even then, at least on the server I was playing on, it was taboo to build structures out of LCBs.

Yep, that should have kept the cost for land claims behind something like 50 or 100 steel imo. you never have a reason to really make more than a few in single player, in multi we really need unlimited, adjusting the cost of them is also something admin can do, the only problem with making them 50/100 steel is with the new game players can potentially lose their land claim when they spawn in depending on the server they are on, they could run across a player who will snipe them for a free land claim, which usually causes them to quit the server on the spot.

If not you have a player that cannot make land claim protection for themselves till level 35+ post patch.

If land claims prevent zed spawning, you can just make it so only bed roll prevents zed spawn after 10-15 minutes of laying it and remove land claims from affecting anything spawning in multi.

Admins can see land claims and most don't like when players land claim POI's (Like loot POI's, working stiffs,popnpills,ect.) but each server has its own set of rules, they can very quickly teleport to the location and remove those land claims, and in my experience I have not seen very much POI land claiming except for players making a base inside them, occasionally I came across people who land claimed them for competitive reasons, making it only 1 land claim was a horrible idea even if it was meant to prevent stuff like this, honestly that won't stop griefing and most of them are likely to just teleport to your base and just blow it up/remove your land claims, ect.

What we need are more tools that actually help admins with policing their server, right now they can't even clip underground to see players trying to explot the X-ray glitch and can't go invisible last I remember so how are they supposed to catch any cheating players in the act?

Yep, that should have kept the cost for land claims behind something like 50 or 100 steel imo. you never have a reason to really make more than a few in single player, in multi we really need unlimited, adjusting the cost of them is also something admin can do, the only problem with making them 50/100 steel is with the new game players can potentially lose their land claim when they spawn in depending on the server they are on, they could run across a player who will snipe them for a free land claim, which usually causes them to quit the server on the spot.

If not you have a player that cannot make land claim protection for themselves till level 35+ post patch.

If land claims prevent zed spawning, you can just make it so only bed roll prevents zed spawn after 10-15 minutes of laying it and remove land claims from affecting anything spawning in multi.

more tools to help admins monitor and catch griefers would actually be great, as i tried to setup a server before, i quickly found out that almost everything needed to setup and monitor a server properly is using 3rd party tools, that are very finniky and dont like to work all of the time, so inbuilt tools to help admins and moderators would be great

- - - Updated - - -

it would also make dealing with griefers much easier, and LCB spamming would basicly be impossible, WITHOUT limiting real players who want to build large bases

Well yeah, my point was if they didn't make it so you could only have 1 LCB you could make a base out of them.

- - - Updated - - -

This is really irrelevant honestly, return them to require more resources to craft, 50-100 forged iron, or steel and its no longer efficient to craft and make a base out of them, that was really a great thing how they were in 16.4, making them dirt cheap and making them less valuable to multiplayer was a really dumb move by TFP.

Seriously TFP you need to learn to stop "Fixing" what wasn't broken to begin with, now you've broken multiplayer and pvp in favor of pve. and honestly, my question is

"Why?"

What was honestly the reason for changing land claims from how they were? They were borderline perfect already for both SP and MP. and PVE/PVP.

I just don't get it, because some idiot in single player may screw up their land claim block so make it where they can quickly craft another or something? I mean, Making a New Game works players have to learn through trial and error you don't need to "Dummy Proof" it if that was the case, and that early in it doesn't matter and late game you have the resources that crafting them (which you'll need by then anyway, at least in MP)

So build a smaller base? I don't really understand this position honestly.

How about just don't build a base at all? It's just going to get raided, right? TFP should just scrap the whole idea of base building and voxels, all problems solved forever.

I would LOVE an option to toggle that sound that plays when you hit protected land. It's abrasive and pretty obnoxious, and turning it off would at least allow people to have some chance of making hidden bases etc.

Wont keep me from running around with a claimblock to see other claims :D

Ive always used a lot of land claims for redundancy and to deter raiders from going after claims rather than hitting the base which is made to take the beating. Another reason is ( I build towers in PVP) keeping people from being able to nerd polling up high enough to jump on my roof and raiding me top down (generally the best way to hit a tower)

Going after the single claim is now my first priority when raising and I haven't seen a good way to stop that yet.

The only way to fix them the way they are now( one claim per person ) IMO is to be able to move around the claimed area in which the claim block could be anywhere on the area and the claimed area it self could be made rather large, around 100blocks squared.

can we stop freaking out about something that has been pointed out to be in progress? irc madmole has stated they are working on it and Roland pointed out Richard saying something along the same lines.... I think people forget this is early access. Things are gonna break, they switched to a new unity/system thing and things may not be working right until they get everything sorted out. They are tweaking things and we're not even to the first big patch of a17 :p

I don't run a server, nor have I completed any mods... but what I wish could happen on a PVP server is the following.

1) Everybody gets the ability to use one LCB.

2) Everybody can get additional LCB allowance based on gamestage.

3) If you die, this decreases your gamestage and a possibility to lose an LCB allowance if the gamestage lowers to last threshold. The last LCB you placed is destroyed in this case.

4) When you are allowed another LCB, this must be purchased from a trader.

5) The ability to disable and pick up your own LCBs easily (if fully repaired).

I run a server and this 1 LCB is awful. I set up multiple locations but now I can only protect one. It sucks. I have players completely new to the game digging up around public areas causing holes for others to fall in (and die/break a leg.) If servers don't like multiple being used, then you can mod them out, make them uncraftable. My server is geared towards building and my players are reluctant to do big builds. It's my only huge beef with a17.

This is naive at best. Part of griefing is using the game's mechanics to troll players. It really doesn't matter what the mechanics are, or how safe you think they are, griefers will find a way. Whitelisting isn't a guarantee, but it goes a lot further to prevent griefers than any normal game mechanic can.

You didn’t read anything I wrote.

Also I feel really sorry for anyone you play PVE with. This is exactly the type of attitude that ruins MP servers.

Archived