Are sleepers back to spawning right behind you?

Vomkat

My issue with the sleepers ever since A16.0 is they don't make any noise at all (not including the snarling noises they make before "waking" up) until either they are attacked or you attack them. I have been told they are looking into fixing this thankfully!

So because of this, it's very cheap and easy for zombies, including ferals, to sneak up behind you. Most of my deaths have come of this :/

On the first a17 release, on a random map, I got crazy spawns. Had to kill 90 zombies to clear 2 medium houses. I even saw them spawn.

But after that first build, and playing navezgane until RWG is better again, I havent seen a single spawn infront of me again. And medium houses have again 25-30 zombies.

Maybe it was the version, maybe it was RWG which was pretty lame in that version (and still needs work)

sometimes there is spawning errors. i once entered room, killed 1 sleeper silently. broke all closets and looked around every corner. checked ceiling. closed entering point with frames, so there was no way to enter without breaking something. i was suspicious, cos that room should have more sleepers in. i opened next room door, stepped in and turned around, there was 3 zombies in cleared room and attacking me. i guess, they could not spawn before, because i could see them spawning, while i was in room and all hidden closets was destroyed. so they spawned, when i turned back and left volume.

Are sleeper spawns broken again, or am I just missing sleepers that are standing right behind me snoozing?

I've seen some instant sleeper respawns, but it only happened a few times. Whatever's causing it seems to be rare.

And medium houses have again 25-30 zombies.

And that is whats wrong with the new Spawn system. Remember how it was supposed to be "some dead bodies can be sleepers" for A16. Now it turns into every house has dozens of Zombies. The new system breaks immersion because you know that ever house has a unholy amount of zombies. Areas that are supposed to house maybe 20 or 30 families, feel like they now had 1000's of zombies. No wonder the large building are not generated anymore on the map, imagine a skyscraper with 1000s of zombies on top of all the surrounding zombies. Getting to the top will be so frustrating ( especially with zone respawns, see below), yea, there is a reason why they are not in A17.

It also makes the lack of Zombie models even more annoying when its always the same zombie types that keep showing up.

And a lot of Zombies that look to respawn are because:

* Hidden on top of support beams above a door, so you do not see them but they active and fall to your side or behind you. Cheap tricks.

* Hidden behind fake walls, closets, fake ceiling and other deliberate spots with a "one hit" fake tile. More cheap tricks.

* Houses too big, so when you run to one side, the game can respawn zombies in a zone. Normally the game has a limit of X number of spawns / zone. If you do not clear them all ( hidden in fake ceilings for instance ), they can respawn in a new spot.

* Pulling Zombies out of a house and losing them, does not remove them from the zone counter. So if you pull a zombie out of a house, it will despawn but still count towards that 1 zone zombie and it will respawn as a different zombie in that house zone.

So yea, the system is badly designed because you can not even try to pull zombies out of a house without killing them. To drop the zone counter to 0, is means killing every zombie in that zone. No wonder the game feels so repetitive so fast.

And that is whats wrong with the new Spawn system. Remember how it was supposed to be "some dead bodies can be sleepers" for A16. Now it turns into every house has dozens of Zombies. The new system breaks immersion because you know that ever house has a unholy amount of zombies. Areas that are supposed to house maybe 20 or 30 families, feel like they now had 1000's of zombies. No wonder the large building are not generated anymore on the map, imagine a skyscraper with 1000s of zombies on top of all the surrounding zombies. Getting to the top will be so frustrating ( especially with zone respawns, see below), yea, there is a reason why they are not in A17.

It also makes the lack of Zombie models even more annoying when its always the same zombie types that keep showing up.

And a lot of Zombies that look to respawn are because:

* Hidden on top of support beams above a door, so you do not see them but they active and fall to your side or behind you. Cheap tricks.

* Hidden behind fake walls, closets, fake ceiling and other deliberate spots with a "one hit" fake tile. More cheap tricks.

* Houses too big, so when you run to one side, the game can respawn zombies in a zone. Normally the game has a limit of X number of spawns / zone. If you do not clear them all ( hidden in fake ceilings for instance ), they can respawn in a new spot.

* Pulling Zombies out of a house and losing them, does not remove them from the zone counter. So if you pull a zombie out of a house, it will despawn but still count towards that 1 zone zombie and it will respawn as a different zombie in that house zone.

So yea, the system is badly designed because you can not even try to pull zombies out of a house without killing them. To drop the zone counter to 0, is means killing every zombie in that zone. No wonder the game feels so repetitive so fast.

I agree, but it's not what this topic is about. It's talking about zombies spawning in your face. And while I complained about it in the first a17 release, I find it isnt happening anymore to me.

I am one of those who dislikes every POI beeing a dungeon now, but it wasnt the point of the topic.

sometimes there is spawning errors. i once entered room, killed 1 sleeper silently. broke all closets and looked around every corner. checked ceiling. closed entering point with frames, so there was no way to enter without breaking something. i was suspicious, cos that room should have more sleepers in. i opened next room door, stepped in and turned around, there was 3 zombies in cleared room and attacking me. i guess, they could not spawn before, because i could see them spawning, while i was in room and all hidden closets was destroyed. so they spawned, when i turned back and left volume.

What makes you sure they didn't walk in from outside in the same entrance you did? I get zombies behind me all the time coming in from outside. I put some frames in the doorway so I have a little warning.

What makes you sure they didn't walk in from outside in the same entrance you did? I get zombies behind me all the time coming in from outside. I put some frames in the doorway so I have a little warning.

This is most likely what is happening. Interesting observation yesterday, not sure if it's a coincidence. I went into a POI yesterday and I swear a handful of zeds spawned a short distance outside pathing towards the POI. They were spread out pretty far apart so I dont think it was a horde.

If this is a thing I dont mind it as much as it's very subtle and its believable that some roamers would walk by and potentially hear you and try to get in.

I once pulled a sleeper from a house, killed him and then went back in. There was another sleeper sitting on the floor in the exact same spot. Since they don't sit back down once they are up, I could only conclude that that was a respawn.

Are sleeper spawns broken again, or am I just missing sleepers that are standing right behind me snoozing?

They can spawn next to you if you jump down one floor. But more often then not, it is

just someone that woke up and they don't make a sound when they move towards you.

They can spawn next to you if you jump down one floor. But more often then not, it is

just someone that woke up and they don't make a sound when they move towards you.

Aye, most commonly it's a sneaky zombie jumping down or from behind something, but I have seen them spawn in out of nowhere.

Butcher Pete's....there's a staircase up to the third(?) floor that's covered in wood plates. You can chop through those plates and everything's OK. Once you climb the stairs though, there'll be a couple sleeper spawns in the room. If you poke your head up and take a peek they're not there yet, and you might think the coast is clear. Oh, and after you move into the room a bunch of zombies come down through the ceiling too. Run out to the fire escape and....escape?...Vultures ahoy! Lol...love it.

-Morloc

This is most likely what is happening. Interesting observation yesterday, not sure if it's a coincidence. I went into a POI yesterday and I swear a handful of zeds spawned a short distance outside pathing towards the POI. They were spread out pretty far apart so I dont think it was a horde.

If this is a thing I dont mind it as much as it's very subtle and its believable that some roamers would walk by and potentially hear you and try to get in.

I've observed this exact same thing. Small hordes of 3-4 zombies. I think I saw a post during experimental they toned down early gamestage horde spawns.

I have entered POIs on MP dedi, and quite frequently the sleepers to not show in their "sleeping" state. They will quite often just all spawn in and activate at once standing up and all attack you. This has happened to me over a dozen times in the last week.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the max spawned zombies settings and playing on servers with more than 12 people active.

Originally Posted by wildaxeman1 View Post

Archived