Just Get Rid Of Stamina All Together... <FLAME ON!>

Jackelmyer

So... I've played a bit of A17, and in fairness... Probably haven't given it a good enough shake. But for the hours I have played... My word...

Sluggish. That's what it feels like to play. Every minute. Just... Sluggish.

I would argue that Stamina isn't really worth it. Many games don't bother with it. So it's not unprecedented to have a game be without stamina. Survival games don't HAVE to have stamina. And frankly... Is it really even worth it? What really good game play do you get from stamina management? What extra effort goes into the development and planning surrounding stamina management? How much more other cool stuff could we have if we just didn't have stamina any more?

Just saying... 7D2D was way more fun with it seemed more fast pace and more of a race. Where stamina wasn't a real thought most of the time.

What do you all think? Is stamina at all even worth having? Does stamina actually bring anything fun to the game experience for you?

I think they need to tweek stamina a bit to find a good balance but I think having it adds a layer to the game. State of Decay is one of my most played games and you could run out of stamina from running or fighting but it just seemed smoother. It never took me out of the game like A17 does in that regard.

I'm not sure I'd say remove stamina entirely though. Just need to work on it some more I'd say.

They’ve already tweaked stamina. You start the game with 150% fullness and your max stamina doesn’t start to drop until you get somewhere below 100%. The exact amount is still in flux but it has significantly changed the early game to be much less of a waiting for stamina to recharge game. There are still those moments but they are a lot fewer.

Some will call that making the early game easier and others will call it making it less tedious. Whatever your perspective, it does make eating a little less of a pressing issue on day one and two although you can get yourself in trouble if you neglect it. It also lessens the feeling that spending points in stamina related perks is mandatory.

Edit: I’m referring here to b241 which will be part of 17.1. Sorry for any confusion.

Just started playing subnautica a couple days ago....there is no stamina.

Just food, health, water, oxygen, and energy levels (which are extremely generous as to how fast tools and vehicles drain energy - they have amazing battery life).

I love it. It's fast paced, exciting....I'm never sitting around doing nothing - because I don't need to. I can always be seeking resources, crafting, exploring, etc.

TBH even food and water in that game starts to get to the "why bother" - and if i do another playthru, i'll put on freedom mode, which turns off water and food needs. Why? because it's just inventory management....and i'd rather play the real game.

So what does this have to do with 7dtd? Well...a lot actually.

There are many systems in place to prevent players from doing what they want to do....NOT make it harder, NOT add a challenge....just prevent or slow.

Why do I need to be kept from doing what I want in the game? what purpose does it serve? What benefit is there to slowing down our chosen playstyle or actions, rather than adding meaningful challenge to them.

Stopping mining because my little purple bar is empty and so I stand around and wait? bad

Stopping mining because it's noisy and random world zombies are shambling over to investigate so I have to attack, run, or bypass them? Awesome

Don't slow us down for the sake of slowing us down. Add challenge to tasks you want to take longer.

I don't know if it brings fun, but it's really nice to manage it in close fights. Being afraid of running out of stamina is fine too, when you have to flee, it's forced us to anticipate the fights.

But I guess that miners don't like it, and I understand. Maybe mining with a low stamina or a null one should not prevent the mining, but just reduce the yield. Hard to say, I don't dig or break stone before the second week, when my skills are upgraded (that's why I'm against the "learning by doing" thing. Boring.)

Lol.

Not sure if this guy is sarcastic of serious.

For real, if there would be only a choice between the current situation and completly removing it its 100% better to remove it completly.

But a few small changes would be enough with 2/5 and definatly with 3/5 skillpoints in all 4 related perks 7D2D is again playable.

Sadly thats

1 Point in Perk

2 Points in Branch

1 Point in Perk

----------------

5 until here = 20 Level

----------------

3 in branch

1 in perk

===========

9 = 36 level

Why survival skills you need from the beginning on are gated i will never understand. But its ok. I wait what they change and if the game stays unplayable, well its only one game

I never minded the stamina. The only thing I did not like was the addition in one of the experimentals of the waiting time for stamina regeneration after a power attack. Even that, I deal with just fine, but I wish it only applied if you miss your swing.

Go out in the forest with an axe. Swing your hardest at the tree. You can see how you would lose stamina from doing this... but you are ready to regain it and swing again. Now, step 10 feet away from the tree and do the same. It will take you much longer to recover from a miss.

I can see why some people weren't fans of it, particularly in early A17 builds, where, initially, you often had to stand there doing nothing while your stamina regenerated (which isn't fun), but as Roland has mentioned, TFP have tweaked it, and it's much less of an issue than it originally was (in terms of lowering fun factor).

Personally, I wouldn't want them to remove it altogether, but to continue tweaking it, so it remains something you need to be aware of, but not something that is constantly causing the player to "stop and wait" - and I think TFP have largely gotten us there now.

Well to be fair the tweak I mentioned hasn’t been released yet. It is in build 241.

Ahh, well, that's my bad, probably due to my 240 play being an accelerated startup (was suffering a little restart fatigue, so I pumped up the skills into a new 240 build character). It'll be interesting to see how the next build plays normally then.

They’ve already tweaked stamina. You start the game with 150% fullness and your max stamina doesn’t start to drop until you get somewhere below 100%. The exact amount is still in flux but it has significantly changed the early game to be much less of a waiting for stamina to recharge game. There are still those moments but they are a lot fewer.

Some will call that making the early game easier and others will call it making it less tedious. Whatever your perspective, it does make eating a little less of a pressing issue on day one and two although you can get yourself in trouble if you neglect it. It also lessens the feeling that spending points in stamina related perks is mandatory.

I'll agree it's better than it was during experiential for sure. By day 7 stamina is not really a big concern for me.

waiting for stamina to recharge. The entire game.

spending points in stamina related perks is mandatory.

Whether or not you try to negate reality, it is still real. The OP stating that TFP should eliminate Stamina in favor of enjoyable game-play is much more grounded in reality.

If you want to have a forum admin reprimand me for exposing you to reality again, feel free. After all, I am just a consumer, AKA the people paying your salary.

Whether or not you try to negate reality, it is still real. The OP stating that TFP should eliminate Stamina in favor of enjoyable game-play is much more grounded in reality.

If you want to have a forum admin reprimand me for exposing you to reality again, feel free. After all, I am just a consumer, AKA the people paying your salary.

I didn’t have anyone do anything. If you were given an infraction it must have been because you broke the rules and weren’t simply disagreeing with something I posted. People disagree with me all the time with no consequence.

I’m not sure the point of your post other than as an excuse to complain about an infraction. I wasn’t negating reality. I acknowledged that the devs are taking the stamina issue seriously and have already made changes in preparation for 17.1.

I didn’t have anyone do anything. If you were given an infraction it must have been because you broke the rules and weren’t simply disagreeing with something I posted. People disagree with me all the time with no consequence.

I’m not sure the point of your post other than as an excuse to complain about an infraction. I wasn’t negating reality. I acknowledged that the devs are taking the stamina issue seriously and have already made changes in preparation for 17.1.

Much better than I expect of you. I am always happy to be PROVEN wrong, so hopefully the rest of us get b241 soon.

is it me allowed to disagree ;)

---------------------------------------

no serious, i dont track who get bans and who not, but i perceived nothing like that.

(Nearly) all bans and deleted posts i saw have broken the rules in my perception.

Edit: I’m referring here to b241 which will be part of 17.1. Sorry for any confusion.

Sounds like a decent compromise, looking forward to it.

...but knowing the pimps, the starting stamina is level 10 gated. :)

Much better than I expect of you. I am always happy to be PROVEN wrong, so hopefully the rest of us get b241 soon.

You sound like a guy who has to be proven wrong alot.

...life is much easier if you approach things you don't like with courtesy instead of hostility.

I wouldn't be upset if Stamina went away. I doubt my enjoyment of the game would be lessened if I wasn't having to stop whatever I'm doing periodically just to watch my stamina bar tick up again.

As a builder/miner, what I would LIKE to see is if Stamina was only used for weapons, and not tools. So swinging a club uses stamina, but not a pick or shovel. It's disconnected from reality; but then, this is a GAME and not a life simulator. It should be fun to play, and Stamina is a pretty un-fun mechanic the way it's implemented right now.

What really good game play do you get from stamina management?

It allows for consequences and disempowerment of the character. If there is no stamina, why not go All Out all the time? Why not hold the shift key and run ALL the time? Why not hold the power attack button down whaling on a block, go get lunch, then come back? Stamina gives us a reason why not, and as a result, the decision between sprinting and walking is meaningful. By restricting what we can do, it gives us more choice.

The time that you spend waiting for your stamina to recharge can be used to do other things. Look around for zombies. Manage the inventory. Eat some food. Place some blocks. Plan on what you're going to do next. Does anyone seriously think that holding down the left click button constantly while keeping your crosshair trained on a block(mining without stamina) is more fun or engaging than doing the same thing but alternately holding and not holding it down(mining with stamina)?

Does a game really need to be constant action? I'd say not. This is a horror game. The periods of less action and less drama are important for giving context and emotional weight to other parts.

I wouldn't be upset if Stamina went away. I doubt my enjoyment of the game would be lessened if I wasn't having to stop whatever I'm doing periodically just to watch my stamina bar tick up again.

As a builder/miner, what I would LIKE to see is if Stamina was only used for weapons, and not tools. So swinging a club uses stamina, but not a pick or shovel. It's disconnected from reality; but then, this is a GAME and not a life simulator. It should be fun to play, and Stamina is a pretty un-fun mechanic the way it's implemented right now.

Perhaps mining tools and weapons could take power from different stamina pools. The mining one could drain super slowly but take like a day with full food to recharge, so there's still a limitation on how many resources you can acquire in one day of work, but you can get it in two in-game minutes instead of twenty, leaving you to do more "fun" things.

Perhaps mining tools and weapons could take power from different stamina pools. The mining one could drain super slowly but take like a day with full food to recharge, so there's still a limitation on how many resources you can acquire in one day of work, but you can get it in two in-game minutes instead of twenty, leaving you to do more "fun" things.

Cool 2 minutes per day, then my base will be done 2025, nice

Archived