What in heavens name happened with Random Gen / World size? And the insane memory use

-Holo-

So. I hadn't been following the news about A17 to hopefully get a suprise.

I did get a suprise alltight.

(This is all playing on a dedicated server I run on my local Lan)

Me and my buddies started up a new server, default settings in serverconfig prettymuch just to test the default game.

I cursed and swore about what I thought was random radiationzones that killed me as soon as I wanted to go explore the word.

When I later found out it was the edge of the map I have ran into in several different places my jaw dropped.

How the hell can the default map be so utterly tiny?

I do rememer one of the Dev's saying that they'd made the originpoint of the player dynamic so they could have larger map without the shaking animations so I looked into the serverconfig and changed the size to 16K.

(Don't remember what size the world has been in the past, but guess around 16K?)

It takes bloody ages to initially start the server (Running on a Ryzen 1600X, 6 core, 12 threads), Currently waiting, it's been generating Country Roads and POIs for the last 45 minutes.

Server is using up 7.5 Gb of ram just from being idle?!? Seriously? earlier alphas been using about 700MB

And joing that server, takes forever to "download world" the server is sending a pitiful 2.2Mb /second. On a GB Lan. which I copy files back and forth with atleast 100MB/s capability.

Why do we have to download the entire map instead of the relevant parts?

And holy hell. My game client used up 17Gb of ram downloading that map, and is now using 11 GB of ram just from logging in?

Where does all this data come from?

The save game is 104MB, and the map under Worlds is 533MB

Right now the devs don't reccomend maps over 8192, as it generates and loads very slowly above that size. Default sizes for random gen are 4096 or 8192. For now unless you wanna take a huge performance hit/ram hit don't go above 8192.

As for the downloading of the map, RWG was changed to be like navezgane, it saves the world so when you load back into it, its extremly quick, it also gets rid of a lot of the studdering when traveling to new places since its all saved in a file and it doesn't have to generate it all on the fly like it did in a16.

As to how 533 mb in files becomes 8gb in ram, well it has to load all the models and such, so that can fill up ram easly.

They switched the game to a new version of the program it runs off of (unity? dont remember the name) and that caused some issues. THey have said they will be doing another pass of the RWG maps after the holiday madness has ended.

What scyris siad is true :p dont go over the 8k maps atm because they arnt working properly. They dont generate quickly, dont load quickly and from what I heard the radiation zone is still sitting at the 6k mark on them due to a bug with them.

What the maps generate are also very funky right now. THey tried to have desert at the bottom, snow at the top of the map. But for some reason shifted back to the random biomes all over style right before stable. The generation of buildings is somewhat weird atm too. Radio towers everywhere, water towers everywhere. Some of the new buildings are missing.

I've made a coupe of 16k maps - yes they do take ages but the rad zones were around 7.6k where they are supposed to be. I made a 12k map with Magolis cpack 35 for my server which seems to be better though. I am hoping some better manipulation of the biomes and towns will emerge in the modding community soon, which currently hasn't seemed to focus much on how to improve the mixers. What i have seen so far has been a bit buggy.

I've made a coupe of 16k maps - yes they do take ages but the rad zones were around 7.6k where they are supposed to be. I made a 12k map with Magolis cpack 35 for my server which seems to be better though. I am hoping some better manipulation of the biomes and towns will emerge in the modding community soon, which currently hasn't seemed to focus much on how to improve the mixers. What i have seen so far has been a bit buggy.

Thats probally because tuning rwgmixer.xml is a long process when it takes 5-10 mins for a map to generate on average, and then they have to explore said map.

Archived