Is Progression to slow?

CHangWOlf

So I've been playing A17 for a decent amount of time and I really feel like it's way to hard to progress into higher tier stages of the game. You literally have to be level 100 to craft things I would be able to craft almost instantly in A16. I get that they want the game to be harder, but it really just makes the game more grindy than anything else. It makes me discouraged to play the game at time because of how much xp I have to accumulate.

It seems slow at the start, but the progress moves at a steady pace even into the higher levels.

I really think having level gates of level 50+ are completely unnecessary at this point. That being said, the pace feels slow at the start, but it remains constant even into higher levels at least so it doesn't feel too bad.

Leveling isn't slow at the beginning ( up to level 20 - 30 ), it slows badly once you need 2,3,4.. levels just to unlock another perk under basic skills ( per, str, For, Agi, int ) just so you can invest 1 point into sneak attack or greasy monkey etc..

At that point in game you also need to fight lots of irradiated and feral zombies for small XP rewards, yet they can rush you all at once because of faulty sneaking mechanics ( a feral will wake up on the opposite side of a building and than all of the zeds on that floor will wake up at the same and run at you even when you didn't make any sound ( problem is zombies sometimes always know where you are no matter what you do ) so you may die and get death debuff which makes things even worse since you loose the needed skills and DPS for 30 min.

Leveling can become quite tedious, especially since xp required to level up increases with every next level, yet xp remains the same from everything else you are doing. There are great moments but than there are other moments that gives you a bitter pill to swallow.

Leveling isn't slow at the beginning

Incorrect.

Levelling needs to be 2-5 times as fast in regards to everything other than killing zombies in regards to TFP's stated goal of zombies being a thing to be feared.

And if zombies are a thing to be feared, then zombies need to be tougher, as well as much more rare.

It should be much more rare to find Boars, and especially BEARS with how tough they currently are, and zombies should be much tougher. Which is saying that Survival and FOOD should be tougher, while PROPSPERITY and Advancement are HARD.

I can agree that I'd like them to pick up the pace for the first few levels. It's just a matter of taste. I'd rather have unhindered movement and have some other way to have progression occur. It's not gamebreaking for me though but I know I'd have more fun if I could run around easier.

It not so much that a weak start can't be fun. I just get tired of it restart after restart. The novelty wears off.

Leveling can become quite tedious, especially since xp required to level up increases with every next level, yet xp remains the same from everything else you are doing. There are great moments but than there are other moments that gives you a bitter pill to swallow.

Actually, you get more and more xp from looting (opening untouched containers) as you get higher level.

At 140+, i get 310ish xp pr container, while xp from killing zombie remains the same. So opening 2 - 3 containers

are about equal as killing a zombie.

I think more important than the speed of progression is the ability to control that speed.

Currently, if you want to progress slowly (because you want lots of time to build, craft, and prepare before the gamestage gets too high) you can do that by avoiding killing zombies.

On the other hand, if you want to progress quickly to get the higher level perks (and don't care that this will ramp up your gamestage) you can do that too by going out of your way to kill as many zombies as possible.

That flexibility is good, as it lets you play in your preferred style.

Unfortunately, the devs are saying that they're going to increase the experience gain for everything else except killing zombies in order to appease the whiners - so it looks like we might be losing that flexibility.

So I've been playing A17 for a decent amount of time and I really feel like it's way to hard to progress into higher tier stages of the game. You literally have to be level 100 to craft things I would be able to craft almost instantly in A16. I get that they want the game to be harder, but it really just makes the game more grindy than anything else. It makes me discouraged to play the game at time because of how much xp I have to accumulate.

Or you can open the quest.xml file and change the 4 points given at the end of the first quest by, let's say, 20 points. Or 30. Or 40. Then you'll be able to create an advanced character and won't feel the need anymore to force the people who want a slow start to follow your own desire.

Some of us want to be challenged in the beginning. Some others don't. Just a number to change in a file.

Or you can open the quest.xml file and change the 4 points given at the end of the first quest by, let's say, 20 points. Or 30. Or 40. Then you'll be able to create an advanced character and won't feel the need anymore to force the people who want a slow start to follow your own desire.

Some of us want to be challenged in the beginning. Some others don't. Just a number to change in a file.

And your group that wants slower progression is right so everyone that dosent has to edit XML...

Id say a faster default progression would be healthier for the game than a creepingly slow one, you can always XML edit a slower progression for yourself, why exactly is slower progression better for the base value? All it does is make a barrier to entry for new players (grindy) and annoy people that dont enjoy spending hours upon hours leveling.

Better yet give us the bloody menu options so everyone can be satisfied.

Theres also the fact that some of us dont view slow progression as a 'challange' infact theres nothing challanging about it, early game is ♥♥♥♥ tools, stamina and weapons... just forcing that for longer is not adding challange, its adding tedium.

What I read here is that you believe that your way of playing the game is correct and that other people should mod their game so that you don’t have to.

What I read here is that you believe that your way of playing the game is correct and that other people should mod their game so that you don’t have to.

well if you want something to be different from the base game you mod it. Just like in minecraft if I want something to be different I mod the game. You cant expect the game to meet the exact specifications of thousands of people. The game is easily modable for a reason :p

I guess this depends completly on the person and how much time one will put into a game

Default settings, means 60 min days

Day 22 (pushed intelligence and had a nice Seed with a really nice startpoint)

(before i moved out to build the base below)

0AAE311686CE0B9096993CDACC3DE563236D6412

56B0F190555F9FDB90B12CBA7F759BE181A247E0

Day 47, Lvl arround 120 all you can wish (stopped the game there because nothing more to do)

6C7481F9F0A1864E45512C2483984ED0C92728A9

For me i can say that most gates feel for me ok, i nearly never had material and need for something far before i meet the gate requirements

i think royal deluxe just likes showing off his base screenshots and finds any reason to do it ;)

Naaa

CAE98CA166CBB9759144BF1B99C46E574E65CA92

soo many screenshots i dont post i think and if the they are 100% topicrelated

CC1E9D6CA260B5E85F88B0004AE4F6C4BF625C1F

really

-----------------------------------------------------------

No serious, i post them mostly to explain things.

Above i tried to show whats possible in A17 and how the Gamepace looks from my point of view.

Compared to other games the leveling speed is more likely fast than slow.

But 7D2D is one of the best games if you want to play Death is Death. And for this a fast pace is really nice

I guess this depends completly on the person and how much time one will put into a game

Default settings, means 60 min days

Day 22 (pushed intelligence and had a nice Seed with a really nice startpoint)

(before i moved out to build the base below)

0AAE311686CE0B9096993CDACC3DE563236D6412

56B0F190555F9FDB90B12CBA7F759BE181A247E0

Day 47, Lvl arround 120 all you can wish (stopped the game there because nothing more to do)

6C7481F9F0A1864E45512C2483984ED0C92728A9

For me i can say that most gates feel for me ok, i nearly never had material and need for something far before i meet the gate requirements

I love the farm up above a nice look. I have been on a project to reshape the burning biome and bring life to it again. :)

Progression is only slow if you don't loot POIs or fight zombies deliberately. Then it's blistering fast well up to level 50. At some point other activities grant more XP than zombies, because zombie XP is fixed and everything else scales or is a ratio to resources mined. So in terms of XP, zombies go from being desirable to merely being a nuisance.

Archived