Are vehicles still disappearing?

OnlyMeiya

It seems that it's a problem with dynamic entities being left in unattended world chunks which are unloaded.

If you leave a vehicle unattended (i.e. no players near the chunk), then leave that chunk such that the game unloads it, the vehicle will still appear on the compass and map, but when you travel back to it and the chunk reloads, it will delete the vehicle instantly and anything in it. It won't drop it's inventory, it will cease to be. If you're going to leave the chunk, pick your vehicle up and put it in a chest or your inventory.

It seems that it's a problem with dynamic entities being left in unattended world chunks which are unloaded.

If you leave a vehicle unattended (i.e. no players near the chunk), then leave that chunk such that the game unloads it, the vehicle will still appear on the compass and map, but when you travel back to it and the chunk reloads, it will delete the vehicle instantly and anything in it. It won't drop it's inventory, it will cease to be. If you're going to leave the chunk, pick your vehicle up and put it in a chest or your inventory.

This makes sense in that the last two bikes I lost where when I died. When I got back to my pack which was over 1K away from my bind spot the bike was gone.

The VehicleManager was doing a save every 2 minutes. If you placed a vehicle and shutdown the server (quit in single player) before that save happened it would be lost. These fixes will be in the next version:

Fixed SDTD-9585 If a server is restarted shortly after placing a vehicle, the vehicle will disappear (added save on shutdown).

Added VehicleManager saves when vehicles added or removed (with short delay and increased timed save delay).

To disappear completely, the game must actively deleted it. A strange choice by the programmers ...

For the position, it should not be so hard to find "some" position in the world to place it savely without bugging through the terrain.

If it fell though, just place it somewhere nearby ontop of the terrain again... Worst case, turn off the physics, until a user activates it again.

There is already code that does that. Pushes it up to the surface. Could be something with chunks unloading and no surface to be found, but the vehicle should despawn in that case and be saved by the VehicleManager, which then respawns when the chuck loads. Maybe that respawn has a bug. I'll have to test that case.

I've often lost vehicles after exploring parts of the map.

Usually a day of looting and such.

I get home and sometimes want to take a break [irl] and save the game.

Come back and vehicle is gone.

I find sometimes when I retrace my steps I'll find the vehicle somewhere where I've been that day.

So....

Probably the 2 minute save timer. Was saved, you moved, exited and never saved in new position. Should be fixed in the next version.

Edit:

Actually, looking at the code in the version you have, it looks like the vehicle should be saved in single player on exit. Exit does a bunch of stuff before saving vehicles, so an error could stop the save. I assume you did not have an error or you would of mentioned it.

Fixed vehicle out of world check using different positions for chunk and terrain tests, so vehicles could get killed and removed Kill.

The code that pushes an underground vehicle up could look in an adjacent unloaded chunk if the vehicle was tilted and think it was underground, but find no ground above and then just killed it.

I just lost my minibike.

It was there when I logged out. Gone when I logged in.

- P

If a vehicle is gone when you log in, immediately CTRL+ALT+DEL, Task Manager, End Process to prevent saving.

Now reload your game and it might be back. If not, Task Manager and End Process again...

I lost a minibike on Continue and was able to restore it this way.

If a vehicle is gone when you log in, immediately CTRL+ALT+DEL, Task Manager, End Process to prevent saving.

Now reload your game and it might be back. If not, Task Manager and End Process again...

I lost a minibike on Continue and was able to restore it this way.

why not just spawn one in? it would be much easier and less time consuming :p

My husband made a garage for our vehicles. We parked them in there for the upcoming horde, his jeep and my motorcycle. It was there when we started the horde and after the horde, but when we logged in the next day, it was gone. SO frustrating. This is the second motorcycle that has just vanished on me. We checked LE and it was not listed. It is just gone. I am so bummed.

What I’ve noticed is that they almost always are moving after you get out of them. If you always stop the vehicle using the brakes then exit it never moves after you get out. At least in my experience.

Yes, they keep moving if you jump out of one just like in real life. They would also roll if you jumped out on an incline.

My husband made a garage for our vehicles. We parked them in there for the upcoming horde, his jeep and my motorcycle. It was there when we started the horde and after the horde, but when we logged in the next day, it was gone. SO frustrating. This is the second motorcycle that has just vanished on me. We checked LE and it was not listed. It is just gone. I am so bummed.

Hopefully one of the fixes I made will prevent that happening in the future.

To replace a lost vehicle: Open console using F1 key. Type dm then enter key. Look at an open space on the ground. Press F6 key and click a vehicle button to spawn a replacement.

I have never lost a vehicle in 7 Days. Not in A15 or A16. Today I took off on my new motorcycle (why does that V8 death machine sound like my Harley?) and looted a few spots. Turned around, came home, and the bicycle was GONE. Nowhere to be found. So I can finally say I lost a vehicle. It was just sitting when I left and gone when I returned. First vehicle loss ever. Just wanted to add my experience to the list.

Probably the 2 minute save timer. Was saved, you moved, exited and never saved in new position. Should be fixed in the next version.

Edit:

Actually, looking at the code in the version you have, it looks like the vehicle should be saved in single player on exit. Exit does a bunch of stuff before saving vehicles, so an error could stop the save. I assume you did not have an error or you would of mentioned it.

I wonder if I should force a save before exiting and just sit a few seconds to make sure it's all done.

On our ded server several bicycles and minibikes have suddenly stuck high up in the sky. So if you seem to lose a bike, yet see the icon for it, look up. The damn thing can be hundreds of blocks high up, just sitting up there. Had to use cheat mode and fly up to grab the thing back.

My bicycle dissapears every single time I logout of the game.

Motorbike I've only made once, but it did the same.

I just use the console to spawn a new bicycle, but I don't know how to do that with the motorbike :(

type 'cm' into console to enter creative mode and exit console, push u to bring up creative menu. search for motor bike. if you want to match quality, just refresh search until you get a match in quality. drag to your inventory then turn off creative mode

Archived