Is the game ever going to perform better?

MaxTunnerX

With every new update, the game runs more and more slowly. A17 once again managed to run more slowly than the alpha before, and it now runs so slowly, that it's nearly unplayable. I have no idea how it is possible to have every setting in the game set to the lowest value and still have the game play slowly/choppy, but that's how it is now.

Before I made this thread I was almost thinking that it was not the game's fault and that I have a slow PC or that I'm nostalgic about old updates so much that I forgot how bad they ran. So downloaded the earlier alphas (A12.5 and older) and I couldn't believe my eyes. My memory still serves me very well as I found my game nearly racing all of sudden. All details on max and it ran like a rabbit on fire, fast and smooth.

That brings me to why I'm writing all this; is there any hope of performance improvements in the future, or will I have to keep playing just the older versions that work properly?

I won't really mind playing the older versions as I enjoy them more anyway, but it's really sad that after all those years with the game, I won't probably be even able to run the actual release, which is something I used to think was granted and logical until the recent alphas hit me.

Usually 1600x900, but since the game was lagging, I lowered it all the way down. I believe the lowest I found was 1280x760 and even that was making my head spin from all that blur. If it's possible to go any lower, I will do that but I'll most probably need to add black bars into the game as well or I might as well go crazy from that.

But again, why do I have to compromise between performance and the game looking decent? I literally just played the several years old versions and they look good AND perform well at the same time, even on 1600x900 mind you.

PS Maybe one of the problems is that some of the settings don't do anything? I set all view/rendering distances to minimum and still saw pretty much the same things even mountains in the distance, I also got zero FPS increase.

So I've managed to set the recommended resolution in addition to the already lowest settings, and the game runs very well. Also the black bars got added automatically (probably because of my graphics card settings), so I didn't have to do anything else.

However, this doesn't change the fact, that the game requires lower and lower details to get the same FPS each time

a new version comes out, which is unacceptable. Optimisation needs to be focused on and enabling the 7DTD community play the game properly should be a higher priority than the looks of the game. Even if it means having two versions of the game, with some kind of "ENB" or "ultra textures" voluntary free DLCs.

After all, it's different when somebody buys the game and cannot run it and when somebody buys the game, can run it perfectly, and later they can't anymore. I think everyone who bought the game should be guaranteed to have the same FPS and same graphics quality in all future versions including the launch (if not better of course, but never one on the account of the other).

If anyone wants super awesoem graphics, let them download the free texture pack DLCs or something.

Usually 1600x900, but since the game was lagging, I lowered it all the way down. I believe the lowest I found was 1280x760 and even that was making my head spin from all that blur. If it's possible to go any lower, I will do that but I'll most probably need to add black bars into the game as well or I might as well go crazy from that.

But again, why do I have to compromise between performance and the game looking decent? I literally just played the several years old versions and they look good AND perform well at the same time, even on 1600x900 mind you.

PS Maybe one of the problems is that some of the settings don't do anything? I set all view/rendering distances to minimum and still saw pretty much the same things even mountains in the distance, I also got zero FPS increase.

blur?

try to disable motion blur

I've disabled that the very first minute of gameplay (because I hate this effect in general, especially when the game is laggy and makes me dizzy with this crap). What I'm talking about is the quarter textures, lowest details, no antialiasing etc. What you end up with is a mass of sharp lines that kinda fail to resemble the actual objects and become an unbearable blur (even when youre stationary mind you).

Fortunately with the low resolution I can now play at half textures and can probably go even higher than that, so I can finally play, but this is not how the game should perform. I may as well end up on 640*480 when it finally releases if this keeps on. Fortunately, I've just seen the devs adress the performance issues in post about known problems that will be fixed, so there is still hope.

What engine did they use before? I remember it was precisely at the moment they switched to Unity that the game's performance went to hell.

So far as I know this has always been a Unity game. It was just better optimized before this.

I think it might be the lighting engine.

Archived