Radiated Zombies

Mantres

Today I was doing a quest that involved clearing out a house. One of the rooms had 4 radiated biker zombies in it. At this point in my game I have my precision stat pretty high, headshot perk at level 3, a fully modded out crossbow with steel bolts and tons of ammo. This is I believe at default difficulty or maybe even 1 below default.

In this situation I pumped no fewer than 12 headshots in a row into a radiated biker and it was still not dead. This is 12 headshots in about a minute's time (I know they regenerate so I was doing it fast)

This is simply a ridiculous thing to have in your game. I have the gear, I put my perks mostly into combat revolving around my crossbow and hitting headshots, and I still can't kill these radiated zombies even as I turn their faces into a forest of arrow shafts. I ended up only killing two of the four zombies before eventually dying after expending about 80 or 90 steel bolts.

Honestly after that experience I just want to uninstall the game and never recommend it to anyone again. I have 1200 hours in 7 Days to Die and it's been one of my favorite games for years but unkillable zombies that can just tank literally dozens of headshots in a row and barely even stagger is NOT FUN. It is ANTI-FUN. If I have good equipment and my aim is good I should be able to kill zombies. The game should not be deciding I'm not allowed to kill them because ha ha they have endless health pools ha ha we're hilarious devs look at how hilarious we are.

Take them out or nerf them. It's plain stupid.

You can set down traps too. Barbed wire is cheap and slows and damages them. I've never heard of a person taking on a full apocalypse single handedly and not use any traps. 😀

Barbed wire with some wood spike traps is something to carry around at all times. Gets you out of alot of crap. Dogs, ferals, unsure about entering a room.... they are great!

I personally hate the concept behind how they just stat buffed irradiated zeds.

Just give it 10x the hp lol. Its too tedious to kill them and they are certainly not worth the exp you get from them based on the ammo needed to kill them.

That's what I call artificial difficulty. Very tedious.

I found schematics for an item that is supposed to stop them from regenerating. The problem is I can't make it yet and I have no idea if it is a mod for guns or for mele weapons. Seems like if it is a mele mod, it's tantamount to useless. Until then, I just shoot them in the face with slugs. Though it does seem like you are maybe exaggerating a bit on how much it takes to kill them. I had a glowing feral whit chase me out of a crack a book and I left my shotgun at home. It took about 6 steel arrows to the face to kill it. Don't use a crossbow. They regen. You need to out DPS it. An AK is probably the best tool for the job.

I personally hate the concept behind how they just stat buffed irradiated zeds.

Just give it 10x the hp lol. Its too tedious to kill them and they are certainly not worth the exp you get from them based on the ammo needed to kill them.

That's what I call artificial difficulty. Very tedious.

I agree with this. I like the concept, but they need some work. Instead of extra health some other abilities.

It's the regen that I think is the issue, because it can leave the player actually falling behind the Zombies power to regen, particularly if they're not combat perked up, making the Zombie effectively invulernable. Higher HP is ok, but regen can mess it up.

So why not a flame thrower, or a dot weapon, or mods that halt regeneration?

There is the "rad remover" mod that helps with that. It's just as fantastical of a device as the radiated super regen Zs are. Can be attached to any firearm, not sure about melee.

I'm okay with rad Zeds, I think they have to appear a lot later in your gamestage though. It's still this hard jump in difficulty instead of a gradual increase and I find myself often way less prepared for it than OP.

Another reason why the crossbow is useless. Explosive bolts are the only reason anyone should use one. Although my favorite weapon is a crossbow, I regrettably avoid it because I play on either warrior or survivalist. Against a rad zombie, you'll never kill one with the 9-year reload. I have no issues killing rads with melee/compound bow or just a few shots to the dome with an AK.

My recent playthrough I found 2 rad remover mods lol, haven't had time to check it out yet. Crossbow needs a reload delay buff, that's the issue. If you want to mod it, change the reload delay on it and it's usable again. I think it's balanced for the explosive bolt, but that just makes any other use useless.

It's just a grammar problem:

The problem is you used (Strong) Radiated zombies and Crossbow in the same sentence! :)

When its time to fight a room full of "whoopass", you need to have the RAD mod (looks like a Geiger counter) on a damage hose (AK, SMG) ideally with the extended mag and a dye mod for extra power, more mods would be nice.

Enemies should always be killable no matter how poor your DPS is.

If rad zombies are going to regen, then maybe there should be a cap on it. Like, they can regen 300% of their initial HP pool, and then they run out of rad-mana.

I disagree. There should always be ways to not fight something OP and succeed with the mission. Not fighting is always my first choice, unless its early game and I need key perks.

I disagree. There should always be ways to not fight something OP and succeed with the mission. Not fighting is always my first choice, unless its early game and I need key perks.

That would hold true for A16.4 and later, now you can't really out maneuver them since the AI has all the data it needs to stay ontop of you.

Enemies should always be killable no matter how poor your DPS is.

No, a T1 wooden bow with stone arrows is not meant to kill every enemy in the game.

The crossbow that the OP used is a very strong weapon for sneaking around and sniping enemies but the DPS are low.

Insisting that a wrench must be good at putting nails into a wall does not make it so.

No, a T1 wooden bow with stone arrows is not meant to kill every enemy in the game.

The crossbow that the OP used is a very strong weapon for sneaking around and sniping enemies but the DPS are low.

Insisting that a wrench must be good at putting nails into a wall does not make it so.

Bull.

You can tottaly whack a nail into a wall with a wrench, might take a while or not go in stright but it will go in.

Any weapon should be able to kill anything (doing damage = it dies), how effective it is is another matter. If it takes 20 arrows to kill a zombie? Not very fun but its better than enemies being (very litteraly ) unkillable just because you dont have the right weapon.

Wow. What kind of game design is that? A wooden bow should not be able to kill every enemy? Look there's weapon progression yes, and later weapons should be way more efficient than early game ones but to say something like that, that's very disappointing.

I've heard you point out to some other people that they don't understand how games work, but seriously? You seem to want to nuke any fun or feeling of accomplishment from this game and turn it into your nostalgia for RPGs like Runescape. You say you are anti grind, and that learning by doing is a chore. Well 17 is a chore. You made this Alpha far worse than any previous grind this game had. Spam crafting 500 shovels, or go out and spam kill 500 zombies. BOTH are a grind?

Its ok to have fun in a game Gazz. You're a former modder you should know this. You never put a mechanic into a game that is unbeatable. And when you have radiateds spawning as early as day 1 in pois you are setting people up to deliberately fail, even more so with that silly statement above.

Interesting response. What makes the crossbow superior to the bow for stealth sniping especially if the dps is low compared to the bow?

At least give us back our exploding bolts and pipe bombs, because it's completely useless now. I think A17 is a step forward, but relying too much on 7.62/9mm weapons will make a very short gameplay, because you could easily engage a few enemies, but you can get outnumbered easily as well, so you need weapons that give you a much better crowd control.

Archived