I'm looking for nitrates and coal

Coldred

All ores are found in every biome in small quantities, but each biome has a specific ore that spawns in larger quantities. Burnt forest has coal, snow biome has nitrate, desert has shale (not found anywhere else I think) and forest has lead.

Biggest veins are near bedrock, but if you dig out gravel patches beneath the small surface boulders, you'll find some nodes as well. In my current world, I found a border between a burnt forest and snow biome, and dug down to bedrock. From there I tunneled into both biomes, so one branch mainly gives me nitrate while the other gives me coal. I happened to find quite a bit of lead in there as well, so it seems like I only need one mine for this world.

Yeah that's pretty much where I get most of my nitrate.

It's as easy as it was in A16 when Burnt Forest had a ton of it.

Yep, its great since you constantly need the stone for making cement so its a pretty good win.

Course you can always do the "Branch mining method" (Which is the method I use to find buried chests)

I'm not sure if digging gravel is the most "reliable" way to find them as much as it is just to remove a large amount of gravel faster than stone and thus uncovering veins , or if its literally meant to spawn near gravel.

Desert biomes are pretty OP to dig in too, Need iron ore? Don't worry, Desert Biome has you covered, and all the shale you couldn't possibly know what to do with. (But its great TFP lowered the barrel crafting time down significantly!)

Now...can we talk about ladder climb speed?

Or give me a craftable elevator shaft I can create or something? its tediously annoying to dig slanted down slopes and you still move pretty slow going up those, just not downwards.

[edit]

Also Stalactites and Stalagmites inside cavern systems yeild Nitrate as well.

Those are the large spikes on the ceiling and the floor.

You sure about that?

mZkh23Y.jpg

Is that shale? I remember a dev mentioning that more ore can be found near bedrock than near the surface, and it's been true in my experience as well, at least with potassium nitrate, coal and lead. I don't really mine for shale, never need it. But I could very well be mistaken, of course.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. I find boulder mining too slow with low yields. Is it snow that's supposed to have veins of nitrate? That's a good image as well, wiĺl keep mining iron desert. Hot work

Yeah snow biome should have most of the nitrate, but you'll run into other stuff as well. Surface boulders don't yield enough nitrate and coal for me either in A17, at least not once I start producing a lot of ammo. I think it was different in A16, I remember just farming boulders for everything.

Yeah that's pretty much where I get most of my nitrate.

It's as easy as it was in A16 when Burnt Forest had a ton of it.

It's not that easy because in A17 you get a lot less: in A16 120 ~ 130 boulders would give you ~ 5k Coal/Nitrate/Lead; in A17 you get ~ 1.4k. I think stone and iron should have a little bump, maybe 15 ~ 20%, but coal/nitrate/lead should give you at least 100% more.

Coal is easy to get in the burned biome by chopping trees down. Nitrate I get underground I have yet to find coal.

Might be more accurate to say it's easy to get "a little" coal by chopping trees down. If you are trying to fill your turrets with bullets for horde night you will need all 7 days to chop trees.

Might as well say nitrate is easy to get by looting sinks.

After one night in my motherlode mine, primarily with the auger,

i went back up with this load.

20181230143622_1.thumb.jpg.a28ae2d01dcf1ad14a0fcc1731c9b916.jpg

The mine is primary lead, with coal, nitrate and some iron. I think the little iron i

got was from stones. I focused on lead, since it sells better. about 1 duke pr lead

with max barter, and half a duke pr stone. Stacks up pretty nicely.

I think i'll prefer deep mining contrary to surface and boulder mining.

After one night in my motherlode mine, primarily with the auger,

i went back up with this load.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26769[/ATTACH]

The mine is primary lead, with coal, nitrate and some iron. I think the little iron i

got was from stones. I focused on lead, since it sells better. about 1 duke pr lead

with max barter, and half a duke pr stone. Stacks up pretty nicely.

I think i'll prefer deep mining contrary to surface and boulder mining.

You sell lead?

MB4oG0J.gif

Why not make bullets?

At navezgane we have with two peoples dig 2 hours in the burned biom (deep and not deep), find a litle bit lead and iron but not one dam coal in the ground. (And what you get from woods its totaly a joke, thats not a joice if you have 7 people, there is bloodmoon and per person you need 250 bullets.

You sell lead?

MB4oG0J.gif

Why not make bullets?

1 stack of lead = 8400 dukes.

turned into bullets, it would only make 2100 dukes + it would require more work and clay/dirt.

But, i make bullets too. Not exactly short on lead. Plenty more in that mine.

tried 3 locations. one was dry. second seemed to be mostly coal. Not sure if the

ore spots in Navezgane are random or preset. Here's the third one. had both

coal and nitrate.

20181231010420_1.thumb.jpg.9d530358eefec34abe3f8116216dd987.jpg

The spot at the arrow is the third. The red flag is the second spot.

And, it was at about elevation +8. That's the elevation i use when

i search for veins.

Might be more accurate to say it's easy to get "a little" coal by chopping trees down. If you are trying to fill your turrets with bullets for horde night you will need all 7 days to chop trees.

Might as well say nitrate is easy to get by looting sinks.

I don't do turrets old school here so I forget there even a thing. I have a chainsaw and rack up coal chopping down trees and it's plenty for my uses and trust me I get a lot more than nitrate from sinks. :) I would also like to add I'm melee first except for ferals and blood moons.

So after we have 80.000 stone farmed in burned biom without any coal, we have edited the blocks.xml to get prob to get coal and potasium by farming terrstone.

If you like it too. Its .../data/blocks.xlm (make a backup)

go to line 106, insert new line paste this

<drop event="Harvest" name="resourceCoal" count="7" prob="0.33" tag="oreWoodHarvest"/>

<drop event="Harvest" name="resourcePotassiumNitratePowder" count="7" prob="0.33" tag="oreWoodHarvest"/>

save it, start complet new the game. Goes with multiplayer, single, random, navs.

have fun

(its so much as you harvest the small rocks at the map)

Archived