Improvements for the dedicated server

Alloc

HI Alloc, is there a way to have the map reveal only the game detail and not the player detail. So All players can view the map but dont see bases/construction and alike?

Well, theoretically it would be possible to only show the map as it *originally* was (i.e. without *any* kind onf modifications, no matter if it's digging, zombies destroying houses or whatever) by just rendering each tile once when it's first visited. But that's not implemented and I don't plan to work on this atm. With A16 there'll be a feature in game though which allows prerendering any amount of the map, you could use that and disable the map rendering in the mod afterwards and you'd basically have what you want.

Excellent, Am gonna wait then. Thanks. Its been a drawn out process which I had already started. To pull a fresh map from the current seed. Which I intended on running from a different IP using the leaflet map js etc. Then allowing player to see that version from within the website and only having admin access to the latest static index at the server's default. Even how far I got 3 months in was more than enough on this little venture.

Thanks, for that response. Ari

Cleaning of Cache and stored data can cause this depending on how you clear browser history and the boxes ticked or not. if you use internet options. or other history cleaner they dont always marry or maybe preserved in one instance and not the other. Which is how a set to differ from browser to browser. Its where the hidden default user folder comes in. or cache2 in your case with Firefox. I come across a similar event with it being stored in the steam overlay browser with Google.

Correct. You did fix it.

TO help a little further and Just to cover angles here. If the same google accounts linked to another browser or device and with most smartphones where backup options are part of the default phone setup and requirements for play store and the like. google servers pull it right through the linked browsers and devices but not instruct a push of data to the PC or Server which it doesn't by default.

Regards, Ari

Just a curiosity of mine: Why aren't Alloc's server fixes part of the official dedicated server? Why is a mod instead? Is it because it's still too experimental to be integrated or what? In all my experience it seems solid and never caused any problems Im aware of. So why is it not just integrated into the official dedicated server?

Just a curiosity of mine: Why aren't Alloc's server fixes part of the official dedicated server? Why is a mod instead? Is it because it's still too experimental to be integrated or what? In all my experience it seems solid and never caused any problems Im aware of. So why is it not just integrated into the official dedicated server?

Some stuff was already moved over, most of what's not is because it relies on hacks (mostly the data stores) that I wouldn't want in the official code. Most likely at some point it will at least be shipped with the server though, but still having it as a mod has the advantage of allowing to provide updates whenever needed or new features are ready, and also allows to have that stuff as examples for other devs of DLL mods.

Loaded up a server to see what all has changed. May be setting my server back up but under a different name soon. Talking to a gaming network now to see if they want to play ball or not. Seems a great deal has changed in my absence. Like a lot of the changes.

Was looking at some of your stuff Alloc and looks like you have been very busy lol.

Alloc, I've been trying to figure out how to use an API mod to change a player's skill values/levels (including Wellness value) but have not been successful at getting it to push to the client. Do you know what the proper code would be?

None of these methods seem to work (where _players is the EntityPlayer):

_player.classMaxWellness = 250;

_player.Stats.Wellness.BaseMax = 250;

_player.Stats.Wellness.OriginalMax = 250;

_player.Stats.Wellness.OriginalValue = 250;

_player.Stats.Wellness.Value = 250;

_player.Stats.Wellness.MaxModifier = 0;

_player.Stats.Wellness.ValueModifier = 0;

_player.Stats.IncrementVariable("Wellness",250f);

_player.Stats.IncrementVariable("Wellness", 25f);

_player.Stats.IncrementVariable("Wellness", 2f);

_player.Stats.IncrementVariable("Wellness", 1f);

_player.Stats.SetVariable("Wellness", 250f);

_player.Stats.Wellness.ResetValue();

_player.Stats.Wellness.ResetAll();

_player.Stats.AccumulateWellness(250f);

_player.Stats.AccumulateWellness(25f);

_player.Stats.AccumulateWellness(2f);

_player.Stats.AccumulateWellness(1f);

_player.Stats.Wellness = new Stat(_player,250f,250f);

No automatic sync, not even sure if client side changes are synced to the entity on the server. You'll have to look into manual syncing, probably something like sending the PlayerStats netpackage manually.

So there is nothing server-side that causes/triggers any player's skill values to change, it's all client side? There has to be some way for the server to manipulate a player entity's skill values. I'll mess around with trying to manually send the netpackage stuff, though I'm learning all of that from scratch with no knowledge of what's going on behind the scenes there.

Update: It worked to just send a netpackage update from the server, at least for changing a normal skill (Medicine). Hopefully getting wellness to sync will be as easy!!! Thanks alloc!

Update Update: I can get all of the normal skills to update, but still no luck with changing Wellness.

Edited by icedsun (see edit history)

So... the server sends the data that tells the client to change the data (dying, etc), but it's the client that actually changes it?

Seems like the server and client sync data sometimes, but not all of it is automatic. So the EntityPlayer on the server may have different values for some things than the EntityPlayer clientside. Some server actions likely trigger the sync to occur, but it isn't a given.

I've yet to figure out how to sync changes to the Wellness value yet. (Maybe I'm not changing the right value or something, IDK.)

New issue... when a player joins, the serverside EntityPlayer syncs some of the data, but NOT the player's current health or max health. Those only get updated serverside during certain changes (like when the player uses a medkit or gets hurt), and I don't know how to force the server to grab the correct data from the client. At login, the serverside player has 100 health and 100 maxhealth, regardless of the actual values for that player. So, if I send the NetPackagePlayerStats too early, the client gets their health changed to 100 even when that's not correct. Any ideas what would trigger the server to grab the correct health/maxhealth values?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Should be no update required.

that's good news. are you saying we should be able to use those existing fixes and apply them to a16 or will there be a revision of these fixes for us to apply.

The main function I am looking for is the option to RENDERMAP to generate map in advance in order to have a smoother loading server when multiple players are moving around and or using minibike as it takes lots of loading and writing to the server.

that's good news. are you saying we should be able to use those existing fixes and apply them to a16 or will there be a revision of these fixes for us to apply.

The main function I am looking for is the option to RENDERMAP to generate map in advance in order to have a smoother loading server when multiple players are moving around and or using minibike as it takes lots of loading and writing to the server.

I don't know if this is possible as the map is done in regions. If the region is being entered for the first time, it's generating as the player is moving through it.

I don't know if this is possible as the map is done in regions. If the region is being entered for the first time, it's generating as the player is moving through it.

Alright then maybe there just something wrong on A16 with map generation on dedicated servers.