Regarding Melee mechanic

leaderdog

I think he is suggesting we make it

Come back Unholy Joe. You're our only hope.

Jax... the base is there is it not? (and that is me asking for clarification myself)

the plan was to get things in so modders can have fun too... but even now we still need tuning and people are butt hurt over change... yes some things i dont like...

so if a brand new player just bought the game and played it and never visited the forum or steam forum.. he would have a hell of a lot of fun.

some of us dont like changes and we must adapt. i seriously think tuning is needed and people really do have to try to be patient and give peace a chance.... ooops damn j.lennon again :)

Gotta say, this one really would make me quit. :)

OOhhh can we do it together? We can even release a formal statement :D

- - - Updated - - -

Jax... the base is there is it not? (and that is me asking for clarification myself)

the plan was to get things in so modders can have fun too... but even now we still need tuning and people are butt hurt over change... yes some things i dont like...

so if a brand new player just bought the game and played it and never visited the forum or steam forum.. he would have a hell of a lot of fun.

some of us dont like changes and we must adapt. i seriously think tuning is needed and people really do have to try to be patient and give peace a chance.... ooops damn j.lennon again :)

Hmmm maybe? I didnt even think to check for any accuracy on a melee weapon.

If devs don't want to listen to feedback, then they shouldn't be selling games in Alpha state. It's not about being butt-hurt. If I bought a finished game, I would accept that I have no say over how anything is done, but if I buy in early access, I have a voice. That's why we buy in early access.

OOhhh can we do it together? We can even release a formal statement :D

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm maybe? I didnt even think to check for any accuracy on a melee weapon.

i do find myself missing when they move as well but i feel as if its because things are tighter and not using any perks or mods..

once i hit a perk and found a couple mods that helped... things start getting simpler. but that is just me... we all dont think the same.

That is not a change.

Melee has been working like that since there was a melee weapon in the game.

Is Gazz trying to gazzlight us?

I really should have resisted, but I couldn't.

I'll be interested to see how this shapes up, in any case. It could be the one thing to move me off of melee builds in the game, and instead rely almost solely on my paltry FPS skills, I suppose.

If devs don't want to listen to feedback, then they shouldn't be selling games in Alpha state. It's not about being butt-hurt. If I bought a finished game, I would accept that I have no say over how anything is done, but if I buy in early access, I have a voice. That's why we buy in early access.

if i provided a video of their discussions.. you would be eating crow... but i wont do that any ways.

every body has a voice... but... everybody also feels as if theirs are more important then everyone else.

If devs don't want to listen to feedback, then they shouldn't be selling games in Alpha state.

You literally have a dev giving feedback in this thread while you're posting and you make that comment?

Are you sure that's why you're upset or could it be that you don't like what they're saying?

Just a question.

give peace a chance.... ooops damn j.lennon again :)

He milks that line in that song.

How many times does he say it? Sixty or something?

It's like he got a good riff and a cool line then decided to get high and couldn't finish the song..... so Yoko took over.

Is Gazz trying to gazzlight us?

I really should have resisted, but I couldn't.

I'll be interested to see how this shapes up, in any case. It could be the one thing to move me off of melee builds in the game, and instead rely almost solely on my paltry FPS skills, I suppose.

Melee hits have always been a single raycast, done at a specific moment. Ask any modder. No change there.

Now it's actually synched with the animation so it's more accurate and compatible with anything that changes animation speed.

As a result it's more reliable than ever.

Someone mentioned FOV being an issue. I'm playing at FOV 80 or 90 (something) so does that mean it somehow does not work at 65?

You literally have a dev giving feedback in this thread while you're posting and you make that comment?

Are you sure that's why you're upset or could it be that you don't like what they're saying?

Just a question.

I already said I have no issue with the melee. I was just responding to the comment saying people are butthurt and needing to adapt to change.

As far as I remember, before A17, you had to aim slightly higher than the head to actually hit a zombie in the head with a melee weapon. Otherwise it would hit the torso.

So it felt like you actually had an arc with melee weapons.

But yeah, I agree. Even though I think the current system is ok and feels pretty nice, melee weapons should be able to connect, be it with lower damage or something, if the target is clearly within the swing arc.

And about the RNG stuff, melee accuracy should not be tied to any skill or perk - it should be purely player skill based for positive melee feel and fluid gameplay. I click, the character swings that way. It is my own (possibly fatal) fault if I clearly miss during intense melee combat. Damage, stamina use, weapon degradation, stun chance etc. are already great ways to have character skill levels influence melee effectiveness.

Ranged weapons have RNG scatter, this is fine. I am not expecting pinpoint accuracy from a pistol I found in the toilet or my low level character to be a world class bowman.

As far as I remember, before A17, you had to aim slightly higher than the head to actually hit a zombie in the head with a melee weapon. Otherwise it would hit the torso.

So it felt like you actually had an arc with melee weapons.

But yeah, I agree. Even though I think the current system is ok and feels pretty nice, melee weapons should be able to connect, be it with lower damage or something, if the target is clearly within the swing arc.

And about the RNG stuff, melee accuracy should not be tied to any skill or perk - it should be purely player skill based for positive melee feel and fluid gameplay. I click, the character swings that way. It is my own (possibly fatal) fault if I clearly miss during intense melee combat. Damage, stamina use, weapon degradation, stun chance etc. are already great ways to have character skill levels influence melee effectiveness.

Ranged weapons have RNG scatter, this is fine. I am not expecting pinpoint accuracy from a pistol I found in the toilet or my low level character to be a world class bowman.

This may be my problem then. But I'm aiming at the head now instead of above them like in alpha 16. And so many shots will go past or hit a wall or the ground.

I Think melee needs to join the new generation and allow for proper collision then. if a zombie is two feet in front of me and I swing, there's still a neck, or body shot that should land if I miss that precious head shot because of the tweakers, twichy or drug withdrawal zombie. Especially in close quarters.

If it's tighter, and the animation is more accurate than ever, then the twitching zombies are just more annoying than they need to be with runners and ferals.

But I sure hope there won't be any perk to tighten melee swings, that's just horrible game design.

Melee hits have always been a single raycast, done at a specific moment. Ask any modder. No change there.

Now it's actually synched with the animation so it's more accurate and compatible with anything that changes animation speed.

As a result it's more reliable than ever.

Someone mentioned FOV being an issue. I'm playing at FOV 80 or 90 (something) so does that mean it somehow does not work at 65?

I truly can not understand the issue. So many people have been complaining about melee hits that there must be something going on. I can't understand why I don't notice it though. I melee zombies from day 1 with little issue. I wish I wasn't so lazy or I'd figure out how to make a video of my melee combat.

This may be my problem then. But I'm aiming at the head now instead of above them like in alpha 16. And so many shots will go past or hit a wall or the ground.

I Think melee needs to join the new generation and allow for proper collision then. if a zombie is two feet in front of me and I swing, there's still a neck, or body shot that should land if I miss that precious head shot because of the tweakers, twichy or drug withdrawal zombie. Especially in close quarters.

If it's tighter, and the animation is more accurate than ever, then the twitching zombies are just more annoying than they need to be with runners and ferals.

But I sure hope there won't be any perk to tighten melee swings, that's just horrible game design.

well i am not saying the pimps would/will make such a mod/perk... but be realistic... we have modders that will and create other crazy things to happen... that is the intent... those of us who dont want them do not have to use them or play that way.

but i do agree with gup on that part... they do seem much better and if i miss i miss and it means i shift my pattern to work with it... even in a17 i am still a melee fighter with a club and i use arrows only to grab an individual zombie so i can kill him.

I truly can not understand the issue. So many people have been complaining about melee hits that there must be something going on. I can't understand why I don't notice it though. I melee zombies from day 1 with little issue. I wish I wasn't so lazy or I'd figure out how to make a video of my melee combat.

Ditto. I find it actually easier to melee now. I guess because before I was also aiming right at them but it was borked so missed more. Now it actually hits where I have always aimed. I would estimate I use 50% less arrows than before because I melee so much more now.

Ditto. I find it actually easier to melee now. I guess because before I was also aiming right at them but it was borked so missed more. Now it actually hits where I have always aimed. I would estimate I use 50% less arrows than before because I melee so much more now.

I use less arrows now because they don't go through their heads anymore.

For me melee has become my go-to, way more so than any ranged. THe only ranged I use is compound bow with stealth for headshot kills. I haven't even touched a gun in my current playthrough, I don't need it. Way too much work to keep it in ammo when I can melee stuff down and kite or stealth and headshot with a bow, using a tiny fraction of the resources and not drawing attention.

And you players that think the current broken Melee mechanic isn't broken, Go fight a bunch of ferals, or running zombies with a spiked club, and video it so I believe you when you say it isn't a problem at all. I'm guessing most of you are using guns.

Well, i am not madmole, just mad.

So i stripped my char of armor, bought all melee and stamina related perk, and loaded 25 feral soldiers

and 25 feral wrights. At once. And beat them all with just a spiked club.

So melee works. Aiming can be a bit tricky , but one can get used to it.

Well, i am not madmole, just mad.

So i stripped my char of armor, bought all melee and stamina related perk, and loaded 25 feral soldiers

and 25 feral wrights. At once. And beat them all with just a spiked club.

So melee works. Aiming can be a bit tricky , but one can get used to it.

No video, I don't believe you. ;)

maybe since melee hits only the one point, they should redo all the animations for it so it shows you stabbing things instead of swinging

Right?

I mean, melee in 7dtd "works", but it feels terrible to me. I can't think of any other game that has such a disconnect between your weapon's animation and the target, whether you hit or not. You swing a bigass sledgehammer in front of you and it passes through all the zombies in its arc without doing any damage, just because your crosshair wasn't over a hitbox at one point in the swing?

It's easily the most immersion killing thing for me in this game. I use melee in the first parts of the game since it's easy to kite & club most zombies at that point, but I perk for ranged because I just hate how melee feels later in the game when zombies start moving faster and their janky bobble head doll animations become exaggerated even more.

I'm frankly surprised so few people complain about this part. Practically every other zombie game out there does it better.

Archived