Regarding Melee mechanic

leaderdog

Out of all the changes made this is the only one that gets me to not want to play.

The melee mechanic behaves like a gun. you don't have a spread of raycast with the entity(zombie) set as priority, so if the head moves, the "swing" which should still connect with the zombie misses outright.

This isn't an issue so much with slow moving zombies. When you get mobbed, it is a problem, but otherwise it's fine, BUT,

when you get ferals and night time zombies doing they're head moving thing it becomes very dangerous, when you have 2, 3 or more ferals or running zombies, it's an outright nightmare.

Not a manageable or fun nightmare, it's just horrible because of a broken mechanic. This takes your fate out of your hands and into the hands of the existing mechanic which has zero forgiveness and takes no logical motion into account it's just welp, you missed the head by a single pixel, so therefore you miss the whole zombie.

Even when they're on the ground, a swing in an arc which should hit the head, simply hits the ground. Very frustrating.

I can deal with all the other things that I'm not happy with, and there are many really cool things in A17, but this is a flat out gamebreaker for me.

a few others have said that Fataal is happy with how it works, or wasn't sure how to do it correctly to make it really work, or something, but it's current state isn't tenable. It needs to be fixed.

I'd just like your final say on how it is, if this is the way it's going to be and your team isn't going to fix it (or don't feel it's broken) then I guess I'll have to mod the game so it's one shot kill for anything. I'd rather not, but the game loses it's luster when my skill is no longer a viable option for playing, I'm at the mercy of twitch zombies with clubs that behave like guns.

When I first played it was mostly range weapons because I was too nervous to use melee, then range got boring so I ventured more into melee, and got more confident so that it was my main fighting technique always, even horde nights, my bases were made so that melee combat was fun and exciting. Clearly, with the clubs the way they are now, that isn't even a remote possibility.

and especially since light weight character goes blurry eyed after one beer.

So ya, thanks for reading, Please let me know.

And you players that think the current broken Melee mechanic isn't broken, Go fight a bunch of ferals, or running zombies with a spiked club, and video it so I believe you when you say it isn't a problem at all. I'm guessing most of you are using guns.

That is not a change.

Melee has been working like that since there was a melee weapon in the game.

Uhm, what?? Melee is completely different from before. if you swing and slightly miss it still hit the body which would actually happen. Now it's a gun shot. This is not how it behaved before.

I used guns only when I had to. the rest of the time it was the spiked club, when I was able to make it. These melee weapons behave nothing like they used to.

Myself and many others have mentioned this through the forums and on the steam forums. I'm not the only person that has recognized how huge of a difference it is.

really? so if you hit a ball and it's not a home run, it's just a ground ball because you missed the sweet spot slightly, you'll just stand there and take the out?

All I'm asking is for a bat to behave like a bat. Like it used to. We're talking a pixel width off and it's a miss. We're saying if you swing and miss the head for some magical reason your club didn't follow through any to hit the body.

What changed then? I know I didn't get "worse" at swinging the club. Something is not the same.

I think what the OP is trying to say was summarised nicely by games4kickz.

If i do a vertical swing at a head and miss by close enough to shave their ear, IRL that axe should scan down and hit the flesh of the shoulder.

Likewise horizontal swings across the body don't miss the entire body because you were 2 pixels to the right. You miss the arm and merely wound the torso for less stumble instead.

Take a look at the analogue mode controls for dead island. Thats the representation they are talking about.

Has the reach of weapons been extended? I'm finding I use a club far more than previously and is more reliable (for me).

ok, well now you've got me curious.

is FOV so screwed up that when I apply it it screws the swing up horribly? I can't play without fov at 90 because my eyes go crazy with fov at 65. everything is to close. I had no issues with any previous alpha, and my fov was always set to 90.

Do you apply fov or just run with what the pimps locked it to for now?

Ah, yeh if that's the case it makes no sense.

They're using a collider on the arm AND chest, so if missing one, it should most definitely hit the other if it's in the path.

If it's not, then something could be janky in their hit detection code they use to determine the dismemberment stuff.

Which I think is broken anyway, so will likely be fixed when that is.

Ah, yeh if that's the case it makes no sense.

They're using a collider on the arm AND chest, so if missing one, it should most definitely hit the other if it's in the path.

If it's not, then something could be janky in their hit detection code they use to determine the dismemberment stuff.

Which I think is broken anyway, so will likely be fixed when that is.

To add to this I have noticed that if i DO miss its almost always when a zombie is in its animation. Be it a swing of their arm or a stumble forward, almost as if the hitbox may be "blinking". It's almost guaranteed to happen every time. I know I have thrown body shots at a stumbling zed and it completely goes through them during their animation.

lets try this...

* base system for melee gets redone and starts out at lowest stats

* sometime player misses target and hit closest body part (wild swing)

* player finds mod for club "swing like babe ruth" now when players swings at targets head and if makes good contact... targets head is sent out for a home run

* players till misses now and then

* wait, there is a perk now available - "getting better" now player is 50% better and not missing as much

* oooh whats this mod for "broadside of a barn" appears now every swing will make contact, just cant miss.

get the idea... but the base had to go in and all stats have to be at a descent lower level in order to allow for perks and mods for improvements. and this will take team work and time the ground works had to be fixed.

hope this explains it :)

of course i know many will want to argue me down... good luck.. i will not participate. :) i said my piece and i have as much right as anyone else.

lets try this...

* player finds mod for club "swing like babe ruth" now when players swings at targets head and if makes good contact... targets head is sent out for a home run

* wait, there is a perk now available - "getting better" now player is 50% better and not missing as much

* oooh whats this mod for "broadside of a barn" appears now every swing will make contact, just cant miss.

get the idea... but the base had to go in and all stats have to be at a descent lower level in order to allow for perks and mods for improvements. and this will take team work and time the ground works had to be fixed.

of course i know many will want to argue me down... good luck.. i will not participate. :) i said my piece and i have as much right as anyone else.

So there's a perk to improve accuracy of melee swings? What perk? or it's not implemented yet and we're just missing for funsy?

I don't think it is an FOV issue because I also set mine to 90 via the F1 command.

For me melee is one of the few things I am actually happy about in A17. In A16 it felt like the zombies arms were just as long as mine with a bat, so if I was close enough to hit them with a bat, then they were close enough to hit me without one, which i didn't think was right.

Now I can actually hit them and not get hit in return at the same distance.

The only thing I really really miss is how I could smack a body part, and it would explode off. A couple of times I managed to smash all a zombies limbs off before popping it's head. It was an endless source of amusement for me.

...wow, actually verbalising that makes me sound a bit like a psychopath. haha

To add to this I have noticed that if i DO miss its almost always when a zombie is in its animation. Be it a swing of their arm or a stumble forward, almost as if the hitbox may be "blinking". It's almost guaranteed to happen every time. I know I have thrown body shots at a stumbling zed and it completely goes through them during their animation.

The getting up animation... I don't even bother to swing on them then.

lets try this...

Well, i did not know this lol

So there's a perk to improve accuracy of melee swings? What perk? or it's not implemented yet and we're just missing for funsy?

not yet.. i said, things take time and now everyone can work on adding such things after a while modders will have so many mods and perks that the game will bog down... :)

lets try this...

Are you suggesting this or is this how it is?

If suggesting, I disagree. If it's how it currently is, I strongly disagree. =)

...it takes player skill entirely out of the equation in lieu of random dice rolls.

Might as well make it a turn based game.

ok, well now you've got me curious.

is FOV so screwed up that when I apply it it screws the swing up horribly? I can't play without fov at 90 because my eyes go crazy with fov at 65. everything is to close. I had no issues with any previous alpha, and my fov was always set to 90.

Do you apply fov or just run with what the pimps locked it to for now?

I set my FOV to 80

Archived