Steam reviews - I kinda figured

hillbilly

We can only speculate. Are steam reviews considered serious metrics? I really am not in tune with the Steam scene.

All I can say is that I've never played a game that's Overwhelmingly Positive on Steam and thought it wasn't deserving of that review.

I might have the money to buy the game, yet the first thing I look for in Steam, is the review. Of course there are some with 10 minutes played, that say "♥♥♥♥" as the "full review". Yet sometimes, you can actually find some others with insight. They compare the game to others you might have played or at least are familiar with and make the decision to spend your hard earned money easier.

Dismissing a review because it's not how you feel is perfectly fine.

Dismissing one because "people are crazy", "vengeful", or "they don't know what they're talking about" is naive and dangerous in the long run.

So you builded a bunker in A17 you used in a hordenight ?

yes and it failed because ai and zombiedmg is a bit ridicoulus (plus 64 zombies and insane :D) but it did work as intended!

Btw.

Survival is not optional.

Every time you left your base in A16 you could die by zombies.

but you can evade the hordenight! the greatest threat in the game. The main force driving you to improve your character, tools and base.

And as i proofed, in A17 you can build passive surface bases that are so safe as a bunker in A16

jup. zombie ai sucks right now. 100% agree. But that doesnt mean that they should reimplement MORE ways to avoid the horde again.

but you can evade the hordenight! the greatest threat in the game. The main force driving you to improve your character, tools and base.

The most important option the game needs, "Disable Bloodmoon"

Go on a server, see that 95% of the player log out for the bloodmoon night and understand

95% of the player dont want the Bloodmoon night

So you builded a bunker in A17 you used in a hordenight ?

Btw.

Survival is not optional.

Every time you left your base in A16 you could die by zombies.

And as i proofed, in A17 you can build passive surface bases that are so safe as a bunker in A16

You're not wrong. However, TFP know about the A17 passive stuff and said they are looking into that as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Be kind of odd in a game called "7 Days to Die" wouldn't it?

I admire your passion that's for sure. You are passionate cause you care. I admire that. I just think TFP want the game to go in a direction you don't.

My only issue is someone that thinks the game is good but leave a bad review because they don't like the direction. I just think steam reviews should be, is this game good or not. If you think its still a good game I think it deserves a thumbs up. But that's up to the reviewer, i'm just calling it out as being unfair. I guess that a subjective argument too. Just how I feel.

You do not give reviews only to the game, but to the things surrounding it.

Ark was not a bad game after the flyers nerf. OR after a bad overpriced dlc. But the devs proved to be stubborn, childish and moneyhungry and THAT deserves a down.

Same here. I can give it a down and still say that I at least partially enjoy the game. But the changes do not warrant a thumbs up.

When GTA started banning people for using mods, that didnt make GTA V a bad game. But the devs proved moneyhungry and didn'T care abotu the fun of the players, so the game got thumbed down massively.

There are a lot of factors that influence a review fun is only one part of that equation

Reading some of the reviews on steam and I gotta walk back some things I said. The negative reviews im reading are not bad. And tbh I agree with some of them.

Stamina issues

Builders being left behind

Slow early game, although I think this one will not be a big deal once we dont have to restart 3 times a week lol.

I dunno guys. I guess for me, im having so much fun with alpha 17 I just can't let the issues with it get me down. There's so much good.

TFP have also addressed a lot of these issues. So people writing up reviews before balance has been done. Well I hope they plan to go change them, assuming the balance it to their liking.

I get what people are saying now on the steam reviews and I no longer think most of them are just trolls. I guess I just see alpha 17 as very different.

I couldn't disagree more. If it doesn't suck to begin with then there is no reason to take the perk to make it better. IMO it HAS to SUCK and SUCK HARD at first.

Strongly disagree with how extreme you think it should suck. If it sucks that bad people will quickly get frustrated and not want to spend 20-30 levels getting to the point that it doesn't completely suck. Early game the player should have a difficult time killing zombies and inconveniences to deal with like eating more often, but it shouldn't be tedious and painful unless you're playing on high difficulties. QoL/general improvement perks like slow metabolism should be good enough to be worth buying and remove some inconvenience but not so good to make the player an overpowered god. It's all about balance, not extremes.

Perks in general should be focused mostly on adding special abilities you otherwise don't have access to, like shotgun messiah adds stun chance, deep cuts adds bleeding etc. Not on needing to have 2-3 points in half of them just to get to some sort of baseline and make the game not completely suck. Not saying the perks are that bad atm, though stamina perks are at that point as of this latest version imo.

You do not give reviews only to the game, but to the things surrounding it.

Ark was not a bad game after the flyers nerf. OR after a bad overpriced dlc. But the devs proved to be stubborn, childish and moneyhungry and THAT deserves a down.

Same here. I can give it a down and still say that I at least partially enjoy the game. But the changes do not warrant a thumbs up.

When GTA started banning people for using mods, that didnt make GTA V a bad game. But the devs proved moneyhungry and didn'T care abotu the fun of the players, so the game got thumbed down massively.

There are a lot of factors that influence a review fun is only one part of that equation

I don't see it that way. For me it's simply is the game good or not. But we can agree to disagree

Go on a server, see that 95% of the player log out for the bloodmoon night and understand

i am inclined to agree with you.

Although on multiplayer, this is caused by something special:

In pvp (I'm a heavy pvp player myself), you can not build zombiesafe buildings that are invisible to other players.

So in fear of losing loot, they build underground with no indication above ground and simply log out on hordenight.

Also sometimes people log in 1 day before hordenight, when they logged out right after hordenight, making them not ready to face another horde...

There are lots of reasons for this besides not wanting to face the horde.

Yes to option to disable it, no to most players in online logging out because they dont want to fight the horde.

Reviews are fair as long as the reviewer is being honest and thorough in explaining their reasons.

I appreciate it when people who give negative reviews say it is only because they were banned from the forums or because they don’t like the personality of the developers. Some people care about that and will join in the boycott to teach those devs or moderators a lesson.

And I can ignore the entire review as being irrelevant to my purpose in playing a game.

Be kind of odd in a game called "7 Days to Die" wouldn't it?

Maybe, but honestly, after i had developed my passive base and the horde was no longer a threat to me, the hordenight was in no way a positive gameelement for me, i would really liked to disable it.

Sadly this moment the only Danger in the Vanilla game is digging tunnels.

Or the players own stupidity. (Died nearly once by a bear by shooting him on short distance with a shotgun 1/8)

want to skip hordenight ? get a bike, swim in a deep lake, log off if u play on a mp server, set horde to walk and just walk away from them, get a gyrocopter and just watch them from above going crazy :D

Well u can do many things if u want to skip the horde .. no need to build underground bunkers to skip them. BUT building underground bunkers for pvp or just for the fun should be not a problem .. right now with zombies digging dirt faster than molerats pvp is much ded and for pve its no fun eiter.

Well sir get ready to have a hearty chuckle.....Because yes I do in fact feel it is better overall.

You have an opinion and I have an opinion, neither is wrong.

not talking about enjoyment.

What is better and why.

You can enjoy something because it is new, which is not an indicator for it beeing good.

You can enjoy it for its graphics.

You can enjoy it because you personally like the rotten egg (refrence to my previous post saying that just because certain ppl enjoy those chinese rotten eggs, they are not on the same quality as lobster), which is fine but doesnt make the game overall better.

The game is less balanced, way less polished, way more tedious instead of added gameplay, removed some core features and more.

Yes you cna like it. But that doesnt mean its objectively better.

- - - Updated - - -

want to skip hordenight ? get a bike, swim in a deep lake, log off if u play on a mp server, set horde to walk and just walk away from them, get a gyrocopter and just watch them from above going crazy :D

Well u can do many things if u want to skip the horde .. no need to build underground bunkers to skip them. BUT building underground bunkers for pvp or just for the fun should be not a problem .. right now with zombies digging dirt faster than molerats pvp is much ded and for pve its no fun eiter.

and all of those things should be fixed at some point! Same as with digging zombies.

and all of those things should be fixed at some point! Same as with digging zombies.

cant wait for those fixes. maybe zombies with aa missiles to shoot down gyrocopeters. or vehicls are disabled at 22:00 pm lol

i think u take this too serious, hahaha AA missiles for zombies i got pictures in my head now

cant wait for those fixes. maybe zombies with aa missiles to shoot down gyrocopeters. or vehicls are disabled at 22:00 pm lol

i think u take this too serious, hahaha AA missiles for zombies i got pictures in my head now

there are easy fixes :D

I know you are joking, but there are ppl who think there will always be these exploits. But gyros needing to refuel (on the ground) for 10 seconds or temporarily failing due to a thunderbolt is NOT unrealistic :D (you dont refuel cars mid drive, beeing high up in a metal construction while thunder is going on is a BAD idea :D)

not every problem has to be solved by zombies... although AA missile cops beeing targeted by some military zombie next to it would be SO fun to see ^^

I can think of a few ways off the top of my head to completely avoid horde night using the new AI. One example is a double layered maze using doors place horizontally and/or draw bridges. Opening and closing the doors/draw bridges as the need arises to delay the zombies the entire night without having to fight even a single one.

There will always be ways to exploit AI that can't adapt to the circumstances. The main issue is taking away more and more playing styles. Why do that? This game was originally touted as minecraft with zombies and more for adults. The reason minecraft is loved is because of the crazy high amount of ways a player can play the game. Limiting a gamer's choices in a game that's suppose to be a sandbox isn't a good idea imo.

I know it might be a pain to do but highly optimized features can only add to the attraction of the game.

What is better and why.

You can enjoy something because it is new, which is not an indicator for it beeing good.

You can enjoy it because you personally like the rotten egg (refrence to my previous post saying that just because certain ppl enjoy those chinese rotten eggs, they are not on the same quality as lobster), which is fine but doesnt make the game overall better.

The game is less balanced, way less polished, way more tedious instead of added gameplay, removed some core features and more.

- - - Updated - - -

I like killing zombies for xp. I wish the harvesting got some xp love and it will, Mademole has already addressed this.

I like perks over skill points because there is choice

Graphics have improved

The vehicles are awesome

The melee feels better, power attack down combo

Compound bow is awesome

SMG feels better

POI's are incredible, Dungeons

Vultures are cool

Trader is better, more stuff for sale, less selling exploits to get your rich fast

Quests will be awesome when they are balance, again mentioned already by MM. Actually has been changed already in a test build

Mods are cool. Just used the flaming mod on my sledge hammer, its sick!

Spikes are improved

Level gates are back, They are a good way to handle progression, much better than RNG

MP is so much improved it's not even funny

Group xp is a game changer

Running through a POI with your friends is hectic and exciting

Enough with the rotten egg stuff. You stating totally subjective opinions as facts and dismissing anyone that likes Alpha 17 out of hand. People have different opinions on the game. I understand that of you, you should return that respect.

Was speaking to my girlfriend about this and the best way for me to describe it was like this

"I bought into game A and instead of a a gradual change to B to C to D [etc] they went straight from A to F"

There was a response earlier from madmole in the thread saying that you actually get more stone now from grinding and is NOT nerfed but while you might get more stone per stone block, there is a HUGE difference in the number of these stone blocks scattered around which in turn makes grinding for said resources a massive time sink [more so than before] and behind mid > high level gates to get any sort of speed on them.

Not saying i should be able to build concrete mega towers by night 7 [as truth be told that was a bit silly] but i shouldn't have to invest 200+ days to build something i would previously just spend 50 days on. That is too much of a difference to not be seen as a huge nerf to a major part of the game.

I like killing zombies for xp. I wish the harvesting got some xp love and it will, Mademole has already addressed this.

I like perks over skill points because there is choice

Graphics have improved

The vehicles are awesome

The melee feels better, power attack down combo

Compound bow is awesome

SMG feels better

POI's are incredible, Dungeons

Vultures are cool

Trader is better, more stuff for sale, less selling exploits to get your rich fast

Quests will be awesome when they are balance, again mentioned already by MM. Actually has been changed already in a test build

Mods are cool. Just used the flaming mod on my sledge hammer, its sick!

Spikes are improved

Level gates are back, They are a good way to handle progression, much better than RNG

MP is so much improved it's not even funny

Group xp is a game changer

Running through a POI with your friends is hectic and exciting

Enough with the rotten egg stuff. You stating totally subjective opinions as facts and dismissing anyone that likes Alpha 17 out of hand. People have different opinions on the game. I understand that of you, you should return that respect.

I like majority of those new aspects too [the survival part of the game], i personally just don't like the bits about base building. The new dungeons especially are great imo [a bit too many but hey better to have too many than not enough i suppose] and vultures can be a right pain [but again, great for the survival part].

Ummm....Then why in the world would I Play a Game if it wasn't for fun or enjoyment??

What is better and why.

For me?

*Disclaimer* My opinion, but you asked.

I like the harder start to the game, some call it a grind, but I like it. I find it challenging which I enjoy

I like the progression as I feel I have more control over how to develop my char.

I like the perk system. I feel they make meaningful changes to my character.

I like the level gates as I feel accomplished once I've reached on of "my" goals.

I feel the AI is considerably better and more challenging while clearing POI's. Died way more in this release than last two alphas combined

I like all the detail that went into the POI's. I still get surprised even though I know they should be there.

I feel that mods are a great improvement over "gun parts" as I felt that was just tedious and grindy. The mods provide variation.

Love the graphics

Absolutely love sticky arrows, I chuckle every time I shoot the wife in the butt :)

I like the XP sharing on MP, it helps the wife and I play together since she would rather turn Z's off.

I like that stamina matters and find it completely manageable, to the point of almost a non existent problem after about day 8.

I think the wellness system is improved and more in depth than A16. Eating a drinking matters, bandages are useful

I find combat more interesting and more reliable than before. I rarely miss unless "I" miss. In A16 it felt there was an RNG element to if my arrow or club actually hit the target.

My system runs much better than A16. FPS has doubled once I changed from 4k to 1080.

Learn by doing? Meh, I've played too many games where I must do the same thing 1000 times to "get better". I'm over it.

All this AND I enjoyed A16 too, just differently.

You can hate something because it is new, which is not an indicator of it being bad.

Yes, I do. Your point?

No clue what that is supposed to mean

Again, your opinion of which I respect AND happen to disagree with.

Yes you can hate it. But that doesn't mean it's objectively worse.

Are there still things that I think could be improved or that I don't like? Of course there is, because I didn't make the game. TFP did. But that isn't a problem for me I fixed what I didn't care for.

Backpack size and encumbrance? Not a huge fan so I modded it. No complaints here.

Weather? Still wonky IMO esp in Random Gen. So I modded it. No complaints here.

Here's the way I see it.

I like green beans.

You hate green beans.

Are green beans good or are they bad? Surely one can agree they are neither, we just have different tastes/opinions. Maybe TFP will add bacon to those beans and we'll both like them.

I like killing zombies for xp.this is actually something that was in A16 and they wanted to get rid of and failed I wish the harvesting got some xp love and it will, Mademole has already addressed this.

I like perks over skill points because there is choice you like to click "buy ranged damage" because you killed 50 zombies more than actually using that bow and gradually getting better at it? We already had skills and perks in A16, they were just better balanced.

Graphics have improved ignoring the horrible distant models for these small branchbushes, agreed100%

The vehicles are awesome yup agreed again

The melee feels better, power attack down combo maybe its because I play on insane, but nothing much changed for me. powerattacks drain too much stamina early and late you either use guns or a normal hit is enough to stagger most enemies, but okay I guess it is a new dynamic that one can like.

Compound bow is awesome it is better than a16, but the crossbow is 10x worse

SMG feels better cant comment

POI's are incredible, Dungeons hella unbalanced and highly unrealistic. but if you think the gameplay is worth the loss in immersion than be my guest

Vultures are cool spawns are broken, they existed in A16, their attack movements are more like hummingbirds while you strave backwards and they can turn around in insane angles

Trader is better, more stuff for sale, less selling exploits to get your rich fastwhile I do not feel he is better (because weapons and removal of parts completely broke prices) he has more stuff and less exploits (LESS not none :D) prices are very unbalanced tho

Quests will be awesome when they are balance, again mentioned already by MM. Actually has been changed already in a test build there are only really 3 quests, and while nice, are only a very very thin backbone for a more complex system to follow. but yes I agree it is kinda cool.

Mods are cool. Just used the flaming mod on my sledge hammer, its sick! yes. sadly this came at the cost of natural progression with gunparts and quality ranges of only 1-6 which dont do much besides quality and slots, oh and coloring your weapon gives it damage!

Spikes are improved really? :D yes you can upgrade them to metal, but they removed semi, permanent spikes, making basedefence an even greater chore to keep up until you have bladetraps

Level gates are back, They are a good way to handle progression, much better than RNG they are an archaic system. They are NOT good. they are better than nothing, but not good. I can give you 5 systems off the top of my head that are not rng and not levelgates that do this job better and less restricting!

MP is so much improved it's not even funny getting 12x the xp a soloplayer gets (with 4 people) is NOT an improvement. Other changes are landclaimblock and smaller world. How is it better? I'm 100% serious.

Group xp is a game changer it truely is... but I think we might use that world in a different context.

Running through a POI with your friends is hectic and exciting for the first 5-10 times, after that you know where every zombie hides or simply make noise and lure them out. If you do not do this and still feel it fun after the 15th dungeoncrawl, have my respect. But I doubt most players will enjoy that for very long.

I know this sounds condescending. And I do not want it to be. But I am not a very good people person, so I'll say it the only way I know how:

If a kid comes to me and tells me that there are unicorns, sasquatches, the loch ness monster and that there are nazis on the moon and he respects my opinion to NOT believe that, I do not return that respect. I think I was fair in this post, granting you that some parts can be fun, but for everything you mentioned I could tell you a gamebreaking feature or a removed mechanic or a thing that is tedious just to slow down the game.

I don't think I'm better than you or anyone. But I do think that my view on this game holds a certain objective weight that can not simply be discredited by saying "opinion".

And to give you the absolute proof of me trying to be as fair as possible:

Todays reviews were 50/50 which is a big increase in postive reviews, which might signal the return of positive reviews and all that I said about it beeing 30% positive is discredited.

But I am super tired now, so good night and I hope you do not think I am an arrogant prick because I think some of my opinions hold more weight than some others.

*too short*

Are green beans good or are they bad? Surely one can agree they are neither, we just have different tastes/opinions. Maybe TFP will add bacon to those beans and we'll both like them.

Sorry to shorten your original text, but I'm tired but wanted to leave you with this:

If I bought red beans and opened the can, ate 30% and discovered that beneath there are green beans, I would be pretty sour.

Also if 95% of all bean related customers hate green beans, they are objectively worse than those that are liked 95%.

That doesn'T mean those who like green beans are wrong. In movie terms this is called a "guilty pleasure". It just means that, even though it is more bad than good, you still enjoy it for your own reasons.

ignoring the horrible distant models for these small branchbushes, agreed100%

Those dead branchy things bothered me in A16, and they bug me even more in A17 because they stick out even more against the good graphics. It's like they are missing a middle ranged stage in the LOD models for these. Once you start looking at them, it gets worse.

Archived