Zombie sense range

Euzio

Not sure if this has been discussed before. But I was wondering what is the sense range of zombies. This is because I would like to know how far can the zombies sense if we were to say build either up or down. I did an experiment yesterday whereby I build a house on stilts 24 blocks high and I could run around, open chests and doors normally and the zombies did not sense me (roaming horde had passed through just at that moment so I was making as much noise as I can). Though once I busted out the chainsaw to test they definitely sensed me straight away. Anyone else did tests to see what is the limit before the zombies start sensing you?

[QUOTE=Euzio;106283]Not sure if this has been discussed before. But I was wondering what is the sense range of zombies. This is because I would like to know how far can the zombies sense if we were to say build either up or down. I did an experiment yesterday whereby I build a house on stilts 24 blocks high and I could run around, open chests and doors normally and the zombies did not sense me (roaming horde had passed through just at that moment so I was making as much noise as I can). Though once I busted out the chainsaw to test they definitely sensed me straight away. Anyone else did tests to see what is the limit before the zombies start sensing you?[/QUOTE] I think it's somewhere around the 30 block mark. The chainsaw doesn't just attract mobs. It spawns them. If you use it, it will literally spawn zombies around you, same as the Auger.

Hordes also behave a bit differently than regular zombies that spawn solo. I have noticed that even if I am at bedrock and i hear tthat a horde is passing by there always seem to be a few zombies from the horde that stick around above my location even though the bulk of the horde moves on. If I am in stealth the eyeball will flicker back and forth from hunted to undetected and those zombies will start beating on whatever wall, cliffside, or structure is next to them. They will just stay and pound until I go out and wipe them out.

It depends on what you're carrying, and whether it's in you belt or backpack. Typically 30-40 meters/blocks for max sense. That said vertical distance doesn't seem to work well all the time. Maybe it's just a bug, but I've been sensed at the sky cap randomly for no reason. Hordes seem to mess all calculations up.

The smell thing is also another factor. Was thinking more of noise when I first started this post. Right now we are being told that some food have a smell detection range. Like 20 meters or something. How many blocks does that correspond to? 1 meter = 1 block? It would be nice too to have an actual number range of how far each of the sounds can travel as well. I do know that they have the ripples on the minimap now but it does kinda seem that the zombies can detect the sounds further than the ripples indicate. PS: And i'm just gonna abandon the chainsaw as a tool for getting wood. It only takes a few chops with the fireaxe to take a tree down after all, and it doesn't spawn zombies... The auger still can be useful since zombies wont spawn underground.

I believe I've read in another thread (can't find it now) that the Y axis (height) is not calculated where distance calculations are concerned. In that case, theoretically whether you're at bedrock or the sky ceiling you can be noticed. [QUOTE=Euzio;106316]PS: And i'm just gonna abandon the chainsaw as a tool for getting wood. It only takes a few chops with the fireaxe to take a tree down after all, and it doesn't spawn zombies... The auger still can be useful since zombies wont spawn underground.[/QUOTE] As others have told me, you can also dig trees out. Use a shovel and dig out underneath the tree and the tree pops right out. Faster than the fireaxe, though if you don't normally carry a shovel... (Part of me just likes the power tools, consequences be damned. :))

Hmmm, not sure bout the Y axis thing not being calculated. Because as I mentioned in my first post, my base floor was 24 blocks high and when the horde passed under me, they never sensed me despite me going around opening my doors and chests. The only time they did sense me was when I used the chainsaw. And I do know the shovel method is faster to get the trees. But I dislike leaving potholes on the ground, and I can't really be bothered to fill them in again :P I do like the power tools as well, I had fun using my chainsaw when I first got it to chop them trees. Trouble is its fun till you see the yellow and red dots popping up all around you...

A 20 block radius covers the worst of just about everything except stew. 20 blocks is the radius for metal doors, gunsafes, etc, while unstealthed. Sadly, even a wall 20 blocks long, perhaps even shorter, will cause hordes to gnaw on structures. You have a choice: Maneuver safely within your own home and have to defend your perimeter from the hordes constantly, or always have to sneak around your house because the hordes are right outside (but will likely path around the structure safely) I have noticed that zombies seem to see elevated positions from considerable distance, day or night, illuminated or not. that's probably closer to 40+ blocks. Be mindful of windows and perches. Further unrelated addendum: the new 'upgradeable' tree trunks are bad. I'm pretty sure that the colonials would have preferred wet toilet paper as a method of fortification.

If you build your house on stilts, the zeds should just walk by without gnawing. I roughly estimate that it will take at least a 4x4 block wall to make the zeds start chewing on the walls even if they don't sense you. So what I did was to build a 3x3 central main column. I then expanded it out by 7 blocks in a cross direction on all sides from the center of the main coloumn and placed 1x1 columns. This would make my structure 15x15 if looked at it top down. Looks kinda like this. X------X------X ---------------- ---------------- ------XXX------ X-----X X-----X ------XXX------ ---------------- ---------------- X------X------X So far at 24 blocks high, the zeds don't sense me and a roaming horde actually walked right underneath it without chewing anything away... Which is a good thing since if they do start chewing... I'm gonna be in a whole lot of hurt as the danger of building on stilts is that if they eat through just 1 pillar, my house on top may just collapse....

[QUOTE=Euzio;106341]If you build your house on stilts, the zeds should just walk by without gnawing. I roughly estimate that it will take at least a 4x4 block wall to make the zeds start chewing on the walls even if they don't sense you. [/QUOTE] A mere 5x5 confuses the pathing AI? that's messed up. I'd shrunk down to an octagon of 10 blocks per side.. and was still getting chewers. It's bad when you can't even put up basic fortifications for a simple 10x10 structure. I miss the days of the field and track teams that could actually navigate around POI structures. That said, something you may want to consider are 2x2 ramp colums (rotated square). It's a lot of work, but offers better support redundancy and should still be small enough for the zombies to path around. Sadly, I think part of the problem is when zombies path "into" a block. I swear there's something in the AI that puts a zombie into attack mode if it is 'inside' a block's space. This may actually wind up being an issue with zombie collision detection that lets them get so easily confused.

10x10 structures are too huge. I've tried something around that size before and the zeds would start chewing on it. Dogs and Crawlers are usually the main culprits. The reason why I believe a 4x4 structure is the largest it can go is because the zeds tend to take the path of least resistance when moving around objects. So a 4x4 structure would be just about nice for the zeds to path around it. However, if it goes just slightly larger, the zeds seem to think that the object is in their way and would rather just bash their way through it... Also, I find it weird that doors automatically attract the zeds to start banging on it regardless of whether they sense anything or not. You'd think doors are something that would help give you access but keep you safe as well... But its redundant when it actually seems more like a fish lure for zeds to come over for a party....

Spent a couple of nights in my new base 24 blocks high. No issue with the zeds despite me running around doing stuff like cooking, forging, etc. Only time they did sense me was by a zombie dog and that's because I was on my balcony ledge sniping zeds with my hunting rifles for fun. The dog never did start attacking anything though since I was undetected pretty quickly after going back inside. Think in future i'm just gonna start building houses on stilts. Only trouble is that it can be quite a pain to get all the materials necessary fast. I did use creative mode to build the pillars for my this current game because I was experimenting. But I guess its possible to use alternative materials. The only thing really necessary is that I guess the first 2 blocks of each pillar must be made of cobblestone at least just in case the zeds do for some reason start chewing into it. The section where the floor starts as well from the main pillar to help with SI. Other than that everything else should be able to be made of wood.

You can start with a wood pillar if you later "armour" it with a 3x3 concrete case. Should still be small enough for zombies to path around it without issues. IMO the best girder material is up/downgraded rebar. When you initially place it it's very volatile because a wrong key can send your house crashing down. If you upgrade it once, then "destroy" it back to rebar, it has the maximum stability and can no longer be accidentally picked up with "E". It's not pretty but it doesn't use a lot of material and if you like the industrial look... =)

• 3 years later...
[QUOTE=Euzio;106360]10x10 structures are too huge. I've tried something around that size before and the zeds would start chewing on it. Dogs and Crawlers are usually the main culprits. The reason why I believe a 4x4 structure is the largest it can go is because the zeds tend to take the path of least resistance when moving around objects. So a 4x4 structure would be just about nice for the zeds to path around it. However, if it goes just slightly larger, the zeds seem to think that the object is in their way and would rather just bash their way through it... Also, I find it weird that doors automatically attract the zeds to start banging on it regardless of whether they sense anything or not. You'd think doors are something that would help give you access but keep you safe as well... But its redundant when it actually seems more like a fish lure for zeds to come over for a party....[/QUOTE] I never make doors. It's easier to bash out a few blocks come morning, than to have to keep minding the door all the time. Yeah, I know it's an old thread.

Resurrecting an old thread, eh? Ok, Im in... [QUOTE=Gazz;106727]You can start with a wood pillar if you later "armour" it with a 3x3 concrete case. Should still be small enough for zombies to path around it without issues. IMO the best girder material is up/downgraded rebar. When you initially place it it's very volatile because a wrong key can send your house crashing down. If you upgrade it once, then "destroy" it back to rebar, it has the maximum stability and can no longer be accidentally picked up with "E". It's not pretty but it doesn't use a lot of material and if you like the industrial look... =)[/QUOTE] Or... You can damage the rebar with a punch and then repair it... Same result, with less resources and time used.

[QUOTE=Euzio;106316]The smell thing is also another factor. Was thinking more of noise when I first started this post. Right now we are being told that some food have a smell detection range. Like 20 meters or something. How many blocks does that correspond to? 1 meter = 1 block? It would be nice too to have an actual number range of how far each of the sounds can travel as well. I do know that they have the ripples on the minimap now but it does kinda seem that the zombies can detect the sounds further than the ripples indicate. PS: And i'm just gonna abandon the chainsaw as a tool for getting wood. It only takes a few chops with the fireaxe to take a tree down after all, and it doesn't spawn zombies... The auger still can be useful since zombies wont spawn underground.[/QUOTE] The chainsaw gives you the best return on wood though (I think), after it is the steel fireaxe. For ores, the auger/steel pickaxe seem even. Diff is auger doesn't use stam and can rip thru ores like a hot knife thru butter. I love the Auger, especally if I am digging for any reason as it rips thru dirt, rock and metals, saves all the shovel to pickaxe shuffling. As for range, I don't think 1 block is 1 meter. I kinda wish tools and weapons would change the crosshair color from white to red when your in range to hit. Especally with melee. I usually build my bases unerground at a depth of -50. Never have to worry about zombies chewing on things as there is nothing for them to chew on, they seem to ignore my little entrance all the time. I see little point to building a base above ground, If it was like terraria where npcs would move in and such, and they won't move in underground then I'd make a suface base, but until that happens, i'm sticking with underground as its just much less of a hassle to maintain.

[QUOTE=Steve Gad;809636]Yeah, I know it's an old thread.[/QUOTE] Only 4 years old give or take a month or two. Not to mention Z's don't spawn the same now. Wandering hordes exist. And lets see there is no smell currently and we have a stealth system. But at least you know it's old so it's OK I guess.

Well, was wondering why a thread I started almost 4 years ago was making a return. That said, the original point of the post I asked is already redundant with how the game works now. When I started this post, back then we only had random wandering hordes, no blood moon hordes, and only Navezgane map (no RanGen).

Archived