Very Easy Defense Base & a few thoughts so far

Kraxin

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1603562616

This is a very fast base to put up. You can easily have enough cobblestone just from harvesting those blue blocks in the houses or spend a day digging clay and harvesting stone. Wouldn't take much to upgrade the cobblestone to concrete once you find a cement mixer. The wooden bar total is 13, so when you find or make your forge, not too much to upgrade them to iron.

The living space inside comes out to be 5x6 and ya can just keep adding more room upward as needed. The base is hollow and will be my mushroom growing area. Wiring the base to add turrets eventually to roof aimed at ramp will be a neat quick addition as well as spotlights. Add two poles to sides of ramps with 2 spaces in between and you can hook up an electric wire line and or dart traps. The possibilities are endless.

The ease of getting that up allows you the time to just enjoy the game and not have to scramble many days a week for repairs or making spikes. The zombies just repeatedly walk up ramp and fall to ground and repeat the same pattern over and over rarely ever swinging to damage anything. Just close door and stay in left corner against the bars.

I've tested this against many types of zombies. Even to the point of spawning cops behind the base to see if they path to ramp, they do. Everything I tested does. So it won't matter what side they spawn on.

So far in my legit play through, I had a forge by end of day 4, and on day 8 I hit 20. I did zero grinding. I just play the game normally. Loot houses, explore to find what I need and about to start enjoying having a bike that I just made. My garden starting to be very productive. But then again, with eggs alone and the tons of glass bottles you find everywhere, food hasn't been much of an issue. I have a decent amount of bacon and eggs made besides lots of boiled eggs. I only eat twice a day to maintain my stamina but always stay very hydrated.

I've died once, got caught on day one falling through floor and swarmed. Came close to dying many times, but having guns for that oh s**t moment came in handy. I been playing since the end of alpha 6 and I have to say, this alpha has been my favorite so far. I think the pace of the game a lot better cause things are slowed down. The other alphas I always had steel by day 14 or shortly after.

I love the perk system and I bet lots of things will get adjusted over time. No matter how drastic the changes have been, it always gets smoothed out. That much I've seen over the years. The quick steel and unlimited stamina was always something I figured would go away. I surprised it wasn't addressed sooner then this, but guess they were waiting on perk overhaul and all the new systems they added like the buff/debuff one. Everyone will have their own opinion, this is just a small sample of mine, I won't get into every lil point.

Thank you devs for all your hard work in past, present and to the future.

p.s. I didn't play experimental, I waited til stable and watched streamers and youtube vids daily during the experimental phase

really practical base and simple enough to get it by day7. i have only 1 question. does z jump on open hatches and walk over?

They walk over them like it was floor, if you are close they sometimes hit the air causing damage to the hatches so you have to pay attention and repair as needed

Like Kilroy says, they walk over them but might smack them if you too close and they can get stuck on the open hatches if they get bunched up but, if ya go to the corner by the bars opposite of hatches, they have been pathing to corner of ramp and avoiding walking over the hatches. Have to make sure you standing against the bars at the corner.

Interesting. I wonder if the gap were 2 instead of 3 blocks, and you used poles instead of bars, would a Fireaxe or Shovel allow you to melee them as they topped the ramp? I might have to give that a test. Thanks for sharing Kraxin :)

So part of my inspiration for the base was from Grand Spartan, and JaWoodle, two youtubers, JaWoodle tried using poles but the regular poles the zombies ignored as being a block, but the centered ones they treated as a block (hope i didnt mix the two up), so if you do the test i am interested in the results. Just gonna have to contend with the problem zombies, cop spit, spider leaps, vultures going forward.

Zombies are more stupid now than they were before this massive investment in AI. The way this game's going they'll probably get rid of the hatches in the next alpha.

I get that thinking as well, before they stayed straight on and swiped if obstructed. Then a16 they did same but got wonky with the run in circles or just going away from you entirely at times. But think of pure tower defense games, for example Orcs Must Die, or Dungeon Defenders, the enemies had a lane, and you set traps to weaken or kill them and finish them off at choke points to stop them from reaching their goal to destroy. That's classic tower defense games.

Now the ai sets that up for you, except now because of the craft freedom of this game, you are making the lanes too besides the traps and redirect. In my eyes, this game has finally truly hit the tower defense mark while still giving 100% freedom on how you direct them. It's finally entering a new realm for us to unlearn what we have learned (yes i totally went yoda i did) and rethink everything.

I've seen other ideas from a youtube channel called Nerd Parade that made a maze (many have done mazes) but added towers for future traps of all kinds, others have used lanes that were 2 gap spaces with barbed wire on the inner walls that force zombies to be slow. So many ideas pouring out now that has been awesome.

So part of my inspiration for the base was from Grand Spartan, and JaWoodle, two youtubers, JaWoodle tried using poles but the regular poles the zombies ignored as being a block, but the centered ones they treated as a block (hope i didnt mix the two up), so if you do the test i am interested in the results. Just gonna have to contend with the problem zombies, cop spit, spider leaps, vultures going forward.

Loved his idea of the bedrock pit under the hatches, sadly he didn't say if zombies died, despawned or what happened to them after they fell

Loved his idea of the bedrock pit under the hatches, sadly he didn't say if zombies died, despawned or what happened to them after they fell

Well I know from my own experience yesterday that they can take fall damage. I entered the house I was using as a base in early days on the 2nd floor and shot a big mama twice and bailed out the house to the street. They followed and fell from the second floor. The big mama I hit twice died when she hit the ground. I didn't get xp from the death. Funny part was, when I went over to where she was, only the top part of her torso was sticking out the ground!

I've watched these as well. Can you explain which blocks to use under the hatches? I think I am using the wrong ones so my zombies are ignoring them.

I thought jawoodle ended up using 1/8 blocks which I can't make yet.

Zombies are more stupid now than they were before this massive investment in AI. The way this game's going they'll probably get rid of the hatches in the next alpha.

I'm not sure about that.

You could use this same thing in A16 and it would work.

With a little tweaking A17's AI is going to be good.

It's still in it's infancy stage.... let's get TFP a chance to make it work.

Yeah if you've got some ladders coming back up, even if your pit isn't deep enough to kill them in one shot it would get them eventually.

This is the build I've been using from A12 - 16. Build up a ramp up to my base entrance on the first floor and also put down some barbed wires on the outer faces of the top 2 blocks. That way zombies get slowed when reaching the top and jumping over and slowly slip down towards the ground. That gives you time to nicely aim for the headshot with your sledgehammer one by one.

back than zombies didn't jump so they couldnt get over any gap - I usually played 1 level lower than my entrance and 2 blocks away - and with barbed wire on top.

Also worked nicely on A17 b190 when A17 came out though hordes were really messed up than with Irradieated ferals and cops on first BM.

No I don't really bother to build much, I just pick a semi - sturdy building lay down some barbed wire fences and do the same thing. Works like a charm with couple of molotows and some SMG headshots ( or any other ranged weapon ). Or even go down to face them with my sledgehammer untill they start to get through and I only move back up for ranged head shootings.

The only thing that you "need" to have now is some sort of roof against vultures spitting at you, though those can be dealt with couple of shots at them and than focus on main horde.

I've watched these as well. Can you explain which blocks to use under the hatches? I think I am using the wrong ones so my zombies are ignoring them.

I thought jawoodle ended up using 1/8 blocks which I can't make yet.

I used flagstone plates. Advanced rotation and set it vertical to right or left side of the center block, then move over one to where it looks like both are occupying the center block. It's hard to explain, but you'll see what I mean.

I prefer to use a similar design, but no hatches, longer "bridge", and barbed wire fence (if necessary).... you stand at the end of the bridge and fight them off with ranged weapons.

If you don't have a pistol and shotgun and enough ammo, you're either playing on intentionally harder settings, in which case you don't need any help with base building, or you've been scrapping or avoiding looting too much.

Simply stand at the base edge of the bridge and aim away head height. You can start with arrows, transition to pistol when they're halfway thru the wire, then go shotgun as they get close, or go full ammo maniac and spray bullets from the start.

I much prefer the active defense base to the earlier alpha's tendency to strongly encourage passive bases (when zombies wouldn't head for an open path, funneling them anywhere except directly below you was a huge hassle)

yep, i come back to my base a lot very encumbered and like the hatches as a cheap drawbridge

It's a known "exploit". TFP said the zombies do not take into account the block at the end of their jump, so they assume there is a direct path to the player and thus infinite loop on the ramp. I'm guessing they will fix it.

I used flagstone plates. Advanced rotation and set it vertical to right or left side of the center block, then move over one to where it looks like both are occupying the center block. It's hard to explain, but you'll see what I mean.

Makes total sense! I never thought of that. Thanks.

It's a known "exploit". TFP said the zombies do not take into account the block at the end of their jump, so they assume there is a direct path to the player and thus infinite loop on the ramp. I'm guessing they will fix it.

Yep they very likely going to fix this.

I wonder what they'll add to the AI to combat this?

Have them freak out and just destroy the ramp?

Archived