[b240] *Laughs in Trader*

FMK

With all the nerfs to making dukes from trading, you would expect that basic sanity checks would be put in place to make it so the highest buy price and lowest sell price couldn't overtake each other.

You would be very wrong.

5/5 Barter + Grandpa's Awesome Sauce = You now turn a profit from selling and re-buying the same thing forever, pretty much regardless of what it is. (For example, a Q6 Auger goes for ~16k without sauce, and goes for ~30k with sauce. While it can be bought back for ~18k)

You are the trader now.

Enjoy it while it lasts, because it's 100% getting fixed now that I've mentioned it, if it wasn't already known.

Relevant info that's not really necessary, but makes things more convenient:

Solar Panels still have their default base price, making them ridiculously expensive to buy at higher qualities. (Q5 is 24k and Q6 is 34k at 5/5 bartering iirc)

Auger/Chainsaw still hasn't had its price nerfed, so Q6 ones go for ~16k a pop even without exploiting the infinite. As they require uncraftable engines to make, I wouldn't expect their sell price to become as terrible as guns are, but it'll still probably be cut in half at least.

Q1 Military gear can be bought for ~300 dukes, scrapped into 9 Military Fiber, and remade into Q6 gear (with an extra 3 Fiber and 3 Leather) to be sold for ~5k dukes, spinning around a 2000% profit. In general, always buying raw Fiber is also a good idea. Never craft fiber, it's a waste of materials.

Iron Clubs are a fantastic material-to-price ratio, with Q6 ones clocking in at ~2k dukes for 100 iron. (Literally worth more than Q6 pistols at 1/20th the cost at this point, expect it to be heavily nerfed.)

Sledgehammers, while considerably worse off, are in a territory that probably won't be nerfed, at least as heavily. Q6 goes for ~2.5k at the expense of 30 forged iron.

If you have any useless mods (especially dye, no sell price), slot them into weapons/tools you're going to sell for a ~5% price increase per slot -- Just make sure that increase is worth more than selling the mod on its own. Doesn't work for armor last I checked.

I honestly wouldn't bother making guns to sell, their 'material to sell price' ratio, while still turning a profit at high quality levels, really aren't worth the effort now after the sell nerf + material cost increase.

Headlights, once you have more than you know what to do with, also sell for ~150 dukes each and don't really have many other uses.

Gas Barrels, if you have excess, are also a great source of dukes at ~300 each, especially if you want to commit to mining shale -- Pretty good time-to-duke ratio, though it's probably slower than wrenching cars for headlights and everything else they give.

Oil, while technically a slightly higher profit per shale (~320) compared to Gas Barrels, requires tin cans, which while quite plentiful, aren't really worth it. They also have a considerably lower stack count, meaning you can sell significantly less overall at any given point in time.

Mechanical/Electrical Parts go for ~20 dukes each if you have excess amounts and are desperate, and there isn't much of anything that costs solely them to craft into for a larger profit. (Always scrap Q1 guns, the raw parts sell for considerably more than the gun does now.)

Pretty obvious anyways, but never sell repair kits. The materials that go into making them are worth more than the final product.

Nothing else is even really worth considering selling unless you just have insane excess amounts of it, even if you aren't abusing the currently broken parts of trading.

Always buy Honey, it's the sole limiting factor to making Grandpa's Awesome Sauce. (And even once the exploit is fixed, it's still pretty dang good.)

Not that food or drink is an issue anyways, but consider always buying snowberries, you get them in quantities of 5 for ~20 dukes. Each one of which, after a bit of prep, can be made into a Yucca Smoothie, arguably the single best (... or really, only) Drink+Food combo in the game at 22 food and 78 water. (You can also just gather them from a snow biome obviously, but you waste considerably less time if you just buy them, especially since they're not farmable.)

A handful of materials are basically free and might as well be bought, wood/cobblestone/bullet tips/etc.

Probably missed a few things but there you have it, a "quick" write-up on the current state of late-game trading. Enjoy pretty much all of it becoming a moot point in 17.1.

Can't sell solar panels anymore i think. Still, i'd like to hear the reason for them

beeing so ridiculously expensive.

And they, along with augers, are pretty much the only reason to save up high amounts

of dukes late game.

Barter 5/5 and grandpa's awesome sauce still require level 9 or 10 in INT. Have to be

fairly high level for barter 5/5, chef 5/5 and INT 9 or 10 (can use magazine to get from

INT 9 to 10).

However, they only need to reduce the cost of solar panels, and it would not matter

if you can earn 16k or a trillion dukes pr day late game (not early game).

edit: And yes, you forgot a couple good late game income sources too.

Can't sell solar panels anymore i think. Still, i'd like to hear the reason for them

beeing so ridiculously expensive.

And they, along with augers, are pretty much the only reason to save up high amounts

of dukes late game.

Pretty sure that, like with most items that are 'beyond the norm' in pricing, TFP literally just forgot they existed and didn't change their price, while they globally change the multipliers for quality.

Barter 5/5 and grandpa's awesome sauce still require level 9 or 10 in INT. Have to be

fairly high level for barter 5/5, chef 5/5 and INT 9 or 10 (can use magazine to get from

INT 9 to 10).

However, they only need to reduce the cost of solar panels, and it would not matter

if you can earn 16k or a trillion dukes pr day late game (not early game).

edit: And yes, you forgot a couple good late game income sources too.

For the record, if you focus purely on reaching those aforementioned stats, it only takes until level 22. Int 9 + Glasses/Magazine (Either works, neither stacks), Barter 4 + Magazine, Chef 4 + Magazine.

On top of that, selling items is quite close to a 1:1 for Dukes:XP ratio, so once you're capable of making even a single Sauce, you can easily gain 50+ levels in the 3 minutes allotted, depending on the most expensive things you have for selling and buying.

I too noticed that Iron Clubs sell for far too much. The value of quality 1 items meanwhile make it pointless to sell them. I think it is wiser to just scrap guns that are Q1.

Well, the only drawbacks to Q1 weapons is that they sell for less money, they have less durability and less mod slots. Other than that, a Q1 weapon does same the damage as a Q6 weapon, so way better than previous alphas.

With all the nerfs to making dukes from trading, you would expect that basic sanity checks would be put in place to make it so the highest buy price and lowest sell price couldn't overtake each other.

You would be very wrong.

5/5 Barter + Grandpa's Awesome Sauce = You now turn a profit from selling and re-buying the same thing forever, pretty much regardless of what it is. (For example, a Q6 Auger goes for ~16k without sauce, and goes for ~30k with sauce. While it can be bought back for ~18k)

You are the trader now.

Enjoy it while it lasts, because it's 100% getting fixed now that I've mentioned it, if it wasn't already known.

Well that's good.

Clearly it's broken and needs fixing.

They might just remove that item altogether.

I'm fine with that.

Archived