Gathering needs some Lovin'

Zbruh_will

After doing some playing around, I have come to the conclusion that gathering needs some love..in a big way. First, I'd like to start by saying my current MP character is lvl 80 and I am fully invested into the strength tree for bag space, resource gathering and melee. I usually go this route because I like making massive builds and you need tons of mats to get this done. Anyway, after playing around with the steel pickaxe, modded with bunker buster, Iron breaker and a ergonomic handle, I noticed that I was chewing through resource boulder layers in 2 hits (lvl 4 miner 69er and lvl 4 mother lode as well). I noticed when I got done all 3 layers, I had roughly 74 stone and 33 iron, which to me, seemed a bit low. I was thinking to myself, hmmm let's go for another boulder and pretty much got the same result. I thought to myself in that moment, let's try and use a stone axe with the same mods, see what we get. To my surprise, I actually had a better yield with the stone axe, even though it took much longer to gather. In fact, I had around 15-20 more stone and around 10 more iron.....I almost cried. Not only does this make no sense being that better tools should definitely yield more resources, but I felt like I wasted so much time and effort not only getting to steel tools but also by dumping tons of pts into strength. This made end game feel like a waste of time and I pretty much quit playing on that mp server. Please look into this TFP, I'm begging here. Also, a final note (more like a last wish) please make the nail gun better.....You made the stone axe faster and made the nail gun slower. Where was the logic in that one?

time is a resource as well, you said it yourself it took a lot longer to use the stone tools. i bet you net more resources per unit of time with the steel tools with less repair costs. spend a night mining with stone tools, spend a night with the steel. i know the difference from stone to iron is massive, steel should at least give you more durability if not higher efficiency overall

ps the only time this should really bother you is for harvesting animals. you only get so many so maximizing harvest per unit is best, but for ores resources over time should rule. the map is big enough that you effectively have unlimited amounts of ore blocks to break

Yes, time is a resource and I understand we have tons of nodes to bash apart, but you also need tons more mats to make a base effective at high game stage horde nights. It really doesn't make sense that something as crude as a stone tool would yield more resources than a steel tool, regardless of time spent harvesting (not to mention valuable skill pts spent trying to optimize this aspect of the game which also = time). As a side note, for the more hardcore players, we require tons of mats for sustainability. I almost always play on the hardest settings with the most amount of zeds possible which means a more effective base with lots to repair will be inevitable. More resources with better tools should help remedy this problem as the game stage progresses, but currently it doesn't.

After doing some playing around, I have come to the conclusion that gathering needs some love..in a big way. First, I'd like to start by saying my current MP character is lvl 80 and I am fully invested into the strength tree for bag space, resource gathering and melee. I usually go this route because I like making massive builds and you need tons of mats to get this done. Anyway, after playing around with the steel pickaxe, modded with bunker buster, Iron breaker and a ergonomic handle, I noticed that I was chewing through resource boulder layers in 2 hits (lvl 4 miner 69er and lvl 4 mother lode as well). I noticed when I got done all 3 layers, I had roughly 74 stone and 33 iron, which to me, seemed a bit low. I was thinking to myself, hmmm let's go for another boulder and pretty much got the same result. I thought to myself in that moment, let's try and use a stone axe with the same mods, see what we get. To my surprise, I actually had a better yield with the stone axe, even though it took much longer to gather. In fact, I had around 15-20 more stone and around 10 more iron.....I almost cried. Not only does this make no sense being that better tools should definitely yield more resources, but I felt like I wasted so much time and effort not only getting to steel tools but also by dumping tons of pts into strength. This made end game feel like a waste of time and I pretty much quit playing on that mp server. Please look into this TFP, I'm begging here. Also, a final note (more like a last wish) please make the nail gun better.....You made the stone axe faster and made the nail gun slower. Where was the logic in that one?

Really good post!

Agree with all of it.

- Better Tools + All related Perks should = Faster Harvesting + More Resources

Also, you're right about the Nailgun.

I can't fathom what TFP were thinking when they slowed it down.

How does that make game play better?

It doesn't make sense.

It's like the people making these decisions have never actually built anything in game.

Okay look TFP, you want to slow down the "Beginner Nailgun" for...... reasons.... fine!

Give us Builders an upgraded one that's fast and gate it.

Some of us play to build! The creators, you know?

Turns out, it's those same creators who CREATE the cool videos and snapshots that advertise your game.

Thanks a ton LuckyStar and I totally agree with you on the nail gun. I love making huge builds and there is absolutely nothing worse than taking almost 3-4 times longer than any other Alpha to create a good build (especially at end-game levels). I actually like the idea of a better nailgun, kind of like the HD nailgun introduced in the War of the Walkers mod - just make it un-lockable with steel tools and boom, problem solved.

I really got sad inside when making a living area with my bed and other decorations. I wanted cobblestone floors and pillars and even with the nail gun it took forever upgrading the flagstone. I really thought to myself "just make a small reinforced pillar defense with traps on the next base build and ditch any creativity".

Archived