how do the 30 minute perk magazines work?

Iirlyaccess

What I mean is, how exactly are they beneficial? Do you have 30 minutes to use their advantage? and if so, what's the point of saying if you don't have xyz skill you can't use it? Cause i have a box full of them but I feel like maybe I'm not using them correctly. Or not understanding the explanation. Serious inquiry here. Are they worth using or should I just work toward buying the actual perk?

I really miss those permanent skill books.

I think they should ignore requirements, but they give you a boost +1 to your current rank. Unless you CANT buy the perk.

Like.. if this mag gives you x skill, and your next rank in x skill requires level z of something else and you don't have it then you wont get the buff.

Kinda bad implemention I think, seeing as we can easily add points to everything.

Example1:

Magazine - Miner 69er. Gives +1 strength, and +1 to the miner 69er perk.

Before: Strength green 4 , miner 69er 1

during use: Strength 5, miner 69er 2.

Example 2:

Base: Strength 8, miner 69er 4.

During use: Strength green 9, miner 69er 4 , since miner 69er 5 would require strength 10.

Things get a little more tricky with level gating. I think, and i may very well be wrong,

that you can't get the bonus perk effect if not at or above the correct level.

I feel magazines may be a little bit more useful now when higher level attributes costs

a bit more to reach. IE, if i have INT 9, and barter 4, i can get barter 5 for 30 minuts

with a magazine, do a trader run, and save 5 points to spend elsewhere.

edit: Also, keep in mind the attributes are not level gated, as far as i know, and reading

a magazine will raise the attribute 1. And the attributes themself do give bonuses, like 10hp or

10 stamina pr point. Don't think we can stack the bonuses though.

I think they should ignore requirements, but they give you a boost +1 to your current rank. Unless you CANT buy the perk.

Like.. if this mag gives you x skill, and your next rank in x skill requires level z of something else and you don't have it then you wont get the buff.

Kinda bad implemention I think, seeing as we can easily add points to everything.

I've got plenty of perks kept on low level that could use temporary boost like that.

Its just not for your main focus perks.

This is incorrect. You should be selling that trash at bartering 2 lol.

lmao, I agree with you.... but, who the heck even saves these things? If I'm close to home they get put in a box because "I might use them later" (I never do) and if I'm on the road, I insta read (don't even care what it is, just pickup/read).

couple uses:

once you find a hammer and forge magazine, you never need to go past intelligence 8 (get intel 8 for steel, save up 60 military fiber, and when you reach the level to make military armor, put on your nerdy glasses, read the magazine, and make yourself a complete set of quality 6 military armor).

Similarly you can do the same thing for vehicles with the grease monkey perk...though odds are you're going to buy up to intel 8 for steel anyways...but you could grab grease monkey 2, and save a magazine to make a motorcycle and never buy the perk.

use a bunch of perception magazines on horde night.

Use strength magazines before a dedicated day of mining/chopping. Bonus effect if you have motherlode/miner69 mags

use endurance/agility magazines as you find them...they're not really useful situationally. Sole exception is "living off the land" as you could stockpile a bunch of produce, use the mag, make the seeds, and never buy the perk.

We kind of needed some filler content for books so it wasn't all just mod schematics so Gazz came up with these. I'm not really a fan and sell them to traders. So they might be on the chopping bloc or need improved to do something a little more obvious. I'd rather see rare collectable perks that do weird stuff so once you read it you have it forever and another one won't stack. Like the woodcutter perk, do an extra 5% damage to wood forever once you read it. If you read it already, it would be greyed out and you can't read it like the old books.

We kind of needed some filler content for books so it wasn't all just mod schematics so Gazz came up with these. I'm not really a fan and sell them to traders. So they might be on the chopping bloc or need improved to do something a little more obvious. I'd rather see rare collectable perks that do weird stuff so once you read it you have it forever and another one won't stack. Like the woodcutter perk, do an extra 5% damage to wood forever once you read it. If you read it already, it would be greyed out and you can't read it like the old books.

That sounds awesome! The magazines seemed a bit odd when added imo.

Um, yeah that would be amazing. Please do this asap.

Don't they work to offset the attribute points lost when you die? Unless they don't work that way.

Don't they work to offset the attribute points lost when you die? Unless they don't work that way.

They could be used for this. The problem is you have to read a paragraph to know what attribute they might boost. Might as well have 5 pills you can stock up for that rainy day. I have a bunch of attribute boosting candy designed that didn't make it to A17.

Skull Crushers: Rock hard candy that gives you a rock hard punch. Increases melee damage 100% for 1 minute.

Atom Junkies: Increase explosive damage 100% for 1 minute.

Sugar Butts: Increases barter for 2 minutes.

Nerd tats - Increases INT 2 points for 2 minutes.

Pipe Bombs. Increases strength 2 points for 2 minutes

Eye Kandy: Increases perception 2 points for 2 minutes.

Covert Cats: Increases Agility 2 points for 2 minutes.

Fort Bites: Increases Fortitude 2 points for 2 minutes.

Hackers: Increases bladed weapon damage 20% for 2 minutes.

O Harry: Increases magnum damage 200% for 30 seconds.

O ♥♥♥♥z gumdrops: Fall damage immunity for 30 seconds.

These might change a bit, like maybe 1 point increase but it lasts 30 minutes (long enough to counter your death debuff) I wrote these up a while ago so they don't fit the current game play perfectly.

They could be used for this. The problem is you have to read a paragraph to know what attribute they might boost. Might as well have 5 pills you can stock up for that rainy day. I have a bunch of attribute boosting candy designed that didn't make it to A17.

Skull Crushers: Rock hard candy that gives you a rock hard punch. Increases melee damage 100% for 1 minute.

These might change a bit, like maybe 1 point increase but it lasts 30 minutes (long enough to counter your death debuff) I wrote these up a while ago so they don't fit the current game play perfectly.

Have you thought about making any of these last 6 minutes? That way they could be used for a vanilla settings horde night.

Just an idea.

I agree I think overall it would be better to just give +bonus to an attribute for a period of time. Adding in the perk skills seems to overcomplicate matters.

The candy or some other item to loot would be a fun. Give the "no reason to loot" people something as well.

I REALLY like this idea. The death debuff is annoying as all get out. Having a way that you can mitigate would be awesome and a great value add to cooking if you want to make them craftable; having them be loot only wouldn't be bad either as long as they weren't too uncommon.

This makes more sense to me.

I f you've already read, you could always give them a crazy burn time so they are sought after for fires and forges.

I'd say drop the stat books entirely. Make the skills go beyond your level, with Miner69er and other passive ones being pretty common and having one that can give you crafting skill be rarer.

At the same time, the passive ones would need to be better. They should just give you rank 5 for the duration. I won't notice if my mining is one point higher as much as if I can, for 30 minutes, mine as maximum capacity.

i like the idea of these, and i also like gazz's magazines. the mags present a choice- sometimes i choose to hoard them for use, other times sell them, etc. they honestly just needed a little clearer description to make them less baffling to most.

I always just horded them, or sold them. Never used them.

Currently they are like weak "magic potions", with a limited effect-time. They are not really adding fun this way.

You could change their mechanic into something like "collect 10 issues for a permanent bonus".

This gives compulsory looters a reason to look out for them, and signal to others that this can be just sold away.

Archived