pc performance

wolfhorse

I love this game and where it is right now, thanks for the hard work you do guys, really. There is no other game out there that compares to this one. I only have one problem that no one can seem to answer for me or at least not answer the same. I have 16 gigs ram, a 8 core ryzen 7 1800, a 1080 gpu and i cannot seem to get a steady frame rate higher than 50 or 60 and that can drop lower than that at times. Whether i turn the graphics down all the way or up all the way, vsync on or off (although on does seem to cap fps at 60, yes i know why) it does not seem to affect fps a whole lot, down - fps a little higher and up- fps a little higher. I have been told it's because the game is not optimized to take advantage of my hardware but then i see people with lower power systems than mine claiming 90 and 100 plus fps. if it's just optimization I'm ok with that but if you can think of anything I could do to get a higher frame rate I would appreciate it. I run skyrim, fo4, raft, cardlife, empyrion and NMS at 100 plus FPS reliably all the time. It would be great if I could get 7D2D to do the same, since it's all i really play nowadays.

I know it's not really your gig to handles this but if you could find it in your hearts to help me out I'd appreciate it. Not that I'm ever stoppin playin LOL, thx

Experiment with the different settings. For example, Shadows are known to be a FPS killer. Tree's are also.

I'm on a much older system. I run with Textures on High, Trees on half, everything else is off/low. And I get steady FPS as well as not being gimp dark at night. Shadows on can make it retardedly hard to see/survive at night.

For me, what improved FPS a great bit was getting my friend with a brand new i7 to host for us.

My config is a bit dated, but I wouldn't call it that weak:

- i5 4690k @ 4GHz

- 16 GB RAM @ 1866 MHz

- RX 470 4 GB

My friend's config is:

- not the latest but kinda-new i7 (4 cores, 8 threads around 3.6 GHz)

- GTX 1070 GPU

- 16 GB DDR4

He says that he can play with everything set to high at fullHD. The lucky bastard.

If I'm not playing single or host, I get stable 50-60 FPS with the resolution set to 1600*900 and medium settings. Yes, I'm aware that it's laughable, but we're playing this game for the "fun" factor which is definitely there.

You cannot get above 60fps right now because the exclusive fullscreen mode is hard-coded to set a 60Hz refresh rate. I have a thread on that here also. I stay between 50 and 60fps in 1440p (2K) and checking the monitor states that the resolution is 2K at 60Hz. Other bugs include G-Sync not enabling in any window mode including exclusive fullscreen. Just gotta' wait for a fix I guess.

If you're interested in my specs, here you go.

i7-6950X

32GB DDR4-3200

2 x PNY XLR8 GTX1070's in SLI with high-bandwidth bridge

1 x WD Blue 1TB disk on AHCI controller for OS

2 x WD Black (single platter) 1TB disks in RAID0 on RAID controller for games

1 x Blu-Ray dual-layer burner on AHCI controller

EVGA 750W Gold PSU (modular)

ASRock X99 Extreme4 motherboard

Monitor is a Dell S2417DG using DisplayPort connection for G-Sync

The RAID0 array is mounted at C:\Games. Steam is installed in C:\Games\Steam, so all of my Steam-based games are on the RAID0 array. Load times are minimal. This also allows me to record with OBS studio to my documents on the single disk without slowing down my games.

You cannot get above 60fps right now because the exclusive fullscreen mode is hard-coded to set a 60Hz refresh rate.....

I don't think this is true. I use Exclusive Fullscreen and regularly get into 100FPS range.

Specs...

Win 10

i7-3930k overclocked at 4.2GHz

16GB RAM @900Mhz (Old DDR3 stuff)

GTX1060 6GB

1 x Samsung 850 Evo 250GB for OS

2 x 1TB Hitachi Travelstar 10k rpm drives in MARVELL Raid 0 for the games

1 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm for storage and videos

I average 80-95FPS with it regularly in the 100's. Do have the drops into the 47-60 range when in buildings or underground.

I'm running with basically everything on full at 1920x1080 except V-Sync, SSOA, DOF, and Sun Shafts.

You cannot get above 60fps right now because the exclusive fullscreen mode is hard-coded to set a 60Hz refresh rate.

From my experience it seems to be the opposite. I can get 100 FPS in game, but it will only render 30 of them it I don't use exclusive fullscreen mode. There are definitely HUGE frequency bugs with this game though. 90% of the time when I close my game, I have Hz issues in windows or flickering, and I have to reset my Hz in windows to fix it.

That's odd. I install A16, exclusive mode, no EAC and go well above 60fps, vsync on. Install A17, exclusive mode, no EAC, vsync on and I peg out at 60fps. Something is limiting me. Also, G-Sync works in A16 and does NOT work in A17, unless using the GLCore, but that is horrible for framerate.

Wait, for those of you going above 60fps, is v-sync off? If so, that is why. I can PROVE 7 Days is locked at 60fps here quite easily. I start Subnautica, The Forest, or Ark and use my monitors menu to show me the current resolution. They always say 2560x1440, 144Hz, G-Sync Mode. I start 7 Days A17 and check. It ALWAYS says 2560x1440, 60Hz. Sometimes it says G-Sync Mode, but the G-Sync indicator is NOT on and should I drop below 59fps I get micro-stutter, indicating the fact that G-Sync is not working. This only happens in 7 Days A17.

You cannot get above 60fps right now because the exclusive fullscreen mode is hard-coded to set a 60Hz refresh rate. I have a thread on that here also. I stay between 50 and 60fps in 1440p (2K) and checking the monitor states that the resolution is 2K at 60Hz. Other bugs include G-Sync not enabling in any window mode including exclusive fullscreen. Just gotta' wait for a fix I guess.

If you're interested in my specs, here you go.

i7-6950X

32GB DDR4-3200

2 x PNY XLR8 GTX1070's in SLI with high-bandwidth bridge

1 x WD Blue 1TB disk on AHCI controller for OS

2 x WD Black (single platter) 1TB disks in RAID0 on RAID controller for games

1 x Blu-Ray dual-layer burner on AHCI controller

EVGA 750W Gold PSU (modular)

ASRock X99 Extreme4 motherboard

Monitor is a Dell S2417DG using DisplayPort connection for G-Sync

The RAID0 array is mounted at C:\Games. Steam is installed in C:\Games\Steam, so all of my Steam-based games are on the RAID0 array. Load times are minimal. This also allows me to record with OBS studio to my documents on the single disk without slowing down my games.

I'm sorry you're mistaken,, turn off vsync amd occasionally it will go up to around 90 but not for long and not consistently

I don't think this is true. I use Exclusive Fullscreen and regularly get into 100FPS range.

Specs...

Win 10

i7-3930k overclocked at 4.2GHz

16GB RAM @900Mhz (Old DDR3 stuff)

GTX1060 6GB

1 x Samsung 850 Evo 250GB for OS

2 x 1TB Hitachi Travelstar 10k rpm drives in MARVELL Raid 0 for the games

1 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm for storage and videos

I average 80-95FPS with it regularly in the 100's. Do have the drops into the 47-60 range when in buildings or underground.

I'm running with basically everything on full at 1920x1080 except V-Sync, SSOA, DOF, and Sun Shafts.

Thx my rig is comparable to yours or a tad better with the 1080, but never steady above 40-60 fps and nothing seems to affect it a lot. I'm just not understanding why. The fact that nothing really makes a big diff in the FPS is making me think there's just one little thing I'm missing that would "unlock the power !!!" lol, of my system. I see people with lower power systems claiming way higher and steadier FPS than I experience so if it's just hardware then my FPS should be way higher. An dby the way to all responders , thanks so much for taking the time to help

Wolfhorse, you are wrong. If your monitor is at 60Hz then disabling vsync does not magically make it a 90Hz monitor. It means that a LOT of frames are being dropped and half-rendered. Playing without synchronization simply means one frame can be sent to the monitor prior to being fully rendered, resulting in tearing and the like. When your monitor is locked at a specific frequency, that is the maximum framerate you can achieve. I do not care if you choose not to sync and your 60Hz monitor claims to be pushing 200+fps. You are NOT getting 200fps because it is physically impossible. I suggest you do a little research as to what vertical sync does and how it works with your monitor's refresh rate.

Also, I just found a huge part of the puzzle. Going into the registry and deleting the keys starting with "Screenmanager", then starting the game locks it into 1440p at 144Hz, and I am golden. However, when you exit the game it stores these keys, then restarting the game results in the refresh rate for exclusive fullscreen being locked at 60Hz. In other words, one of those keys is causing the Unity engine to set exclusive fullscreen as it is supposed to, but only at 60Hz, my desktop refresh rate, not 144Hz as it is supposed to be.

Archived