What do you guys do at night in A17?

PsychoPif

PsychoPif, at Midnight the moon comes out and it brightens up quite a bit. 22:00 to 23:59 is dark as the proverbial well diggers...

---

If you want to mindlessly mine at night the easiest way I've found is to dig down so you're 40+ blocks below grade.

**make this access shaft during the day, and prior to digging it, clear the surrounding area of z's. They will hear you and dig into access then fall on your pointy little head.

Only the 7th day hordes can sense down that far, so you can head down and mine all you like the other six days.

The first few nights i just upgraded my base from within / crafted materials for the next day but didn't really fancy going out at night since i was quite unprepared / not used to a17 [plus the amount of times i've died from an ambush of wolves is just silly, even in broad daylight they seem to just jump me suddenly].

Now on day 9 and i've made a mine shaft in my horde base so i can quite happily gather materials at night.

That being said, i do miss having a lot of stone around so underground mining does seem to be my fastest way to get a high volume of stone at night anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks everybody. My gamma might be a bit low because when I go outside I can't see 2 feet in front of me.

I'm going to try out sneaking a bit more because it's not only a waste of ingame time waiting at night, but since I play long days, it takes way to long to afk out of it.

On my game currently, the visibility at night fluctuates between just visible [which is about right since it is night] to black as death so only increase the gamma if it is black as death throughout the entire night.

Going out at night is thrilling and fun. Can’t fun be it’s own reward?

Not in an RPG. Everything you do, no matter what it is, in an RPG is to progress your character. The fun comes because you know the investment has rewards. The "thrill" is there to keep you interested and not get bored while you do the "chores" to progress.

The main concept is that in ANY survival game you usually have daily goals to focus your time efficiently.

In ANY survival game with dangerous nights, you should organize to maximize your day activities to do things you cannot comfortably do at night and to get the most efficiently out of day time and save things that you can do at night for night - and not do them during the day.

We play co-op and I host, and we shorten the night to 4 hours to get a little more day while still having enough night (especially for blood moons) and to break tings up. I would never suggest removing night or making it trivially short or you'd cheapen the game, and there's plenty to do at night as you get rolling.

We never lack for things to do at night.

By day we're either out looting, scouting, mining, or we work on the base, usually for the whole day - whatever it is, it's focused on things you do by day, and we do not do things that we can do at night in the base. We'll also have meandering days where we do a little of everything because it's a game and should be fun and not so organized that it's like a job - but generally, you're way more efficient if you're organized, and you are sort of on a timer in 7DTD (blood moon days to prep for or plan around).

Night base activities are things like harvesting the farm (it's a rooftop farm so it's "in" the base), queue up crafting (forge, camp fires, workbench(es), etc), clear work stations that have produced queued up stuff all day while we're out, clean up inventory, top off food/drink, refuel vehicle, repair/top off tools, prep for next day of daytime activities (topping off food and repairing is part of this), etc.

Night time is also a great time to grab a snack, bio, smoke if you're suicidal, stretch your legs, interface with significant other for a moment, etc.

Another thing that night is good for is to chill. We often have dedicated looting/xp-ing days where we clear "dungeon" POIs that are generally packed with zombies/sleepers, and as you level up you often get runners/glowies/etc, and we're pretty tactical about our clears. So after doing a few of those in a day, it's nice to chill at night doing chill base stuff.

The other thing is that, unless you're in a rough biome like wasteland, and you aggressively destroy any zombie(s) you see around your base, you don't really get boatloads of zombies at night around your base like you would in previous alphas, so as long as you're stealthy and don't faceplant on a screamer, you can actually do things at night too.

For ex, we have a "mine" dug just outside our base for getting dirt/clay, stone, and sometimes we find other goodies, and sometimes I'll go out and dig/mine at night. As long as you stay crouched while doing so, you magically don't make noise that attracts zombies.

I do everything I do during the day, except go into POIs. So I travel, I will chop wood, cook or work on my base and I stealth arrow every zombie I see. I move a bit while crouched so he doesn't get too close and sense me, then arrow him again, until he is dead. Zombies have horrible night vision so you can easily give them the slip. Keep rocks on your belt and throw them to make a distraction if you are seen. Sprint away, crouch and throw a rock to give them the slip.

I mine all night. Every night. Now that hord night is over before midnight, I can mine 7 days a week. I mined caves the size of Notre Dame. I play on 120 minutes. More time for mining. I´m a miner and I mine all night, no time to go out, no time to fight.

And by the way. In about 120 hours now into alpha 17, never had a visitor down there. They tried sometimes but never reached me. Maybe my easy settings? During daytime, I closed the holes they dug. But when I have enough blocks above me, they don´t seem to notice.

The first night or 2 I hide in my house doing some cooking, organising, afking. I might go outside and cut some trees down if I feel like its safe enough. I have night set to jog though so zombies really arnt the biggest of threats.(we set our game to walk,jog,run,sprint for the 4 categories)

I'll eventually get a wall around my base just for peace of mind. But at night I will still almost always do organising and the like. With 2-3 players we have 3-4 drop boxes and they get full quick xD

That depends on what a game's death penalty is. I don't mind dying in Rabi Ribi. The death animation is skippable, I don't have to load and watch another animation of waking up, and I can immediately return to what I was trying to do without going through a hassle of spending time returning to where I died. On top of that, I don't get a 30 minute debuff(was 60) that makes playing until it goes away less fun. Doing the thing could potentially be fun, but dying will be very unfun

Not to say that a harsh death penalty is a bad thing, it's just that decisions you make(especially in a survival game) are usually risk vs reward. Going outside at night is all risk and no reward. Time efficiency is not a concern in the game unless you impose difficulty on yourself by limiting yourself to only your own constructed bases for horde nights or maybe if you're competing for resources in a public server.

This is a great example of why I hate the current death penalty. It makes the cost of screwing up a half game day of losing your skills. For me, taking fun risks is disincentived by the annoyance of that penalty.

I do everything I do during the day, except go into POIs. So I travel, I will chop wood, cook or work on my base and I stealth arrow every zombie I see. I move a bit while crouched so he doesn't get too close and sense me, then arrow him again, until he is dead. Zombies have horrible night vision so you can easily give them the slip. Keep rocks on your belt and throw them to make a distraction if you are seen. Sprint away, crouch and throw a rock to give them the slip.

Yeah I tend to do this too during the first two weeks.

After that I've got a setup that allows me to mine at night.

It's scary and it's fun.

Isn't that the whole idea?

Archived