So is this a thing now? (Base wrecked while we were all out questing)

Ghostlight

Our base was a steel fortress but none of its automatic defences were left on when this happened. 4 forges were burning and all players were all out on quests for the entire day. On returning, the base had taken considerable damage. Not random bug-related damage, but precision damage. There were a few holes in the outer fence, a few blade traps destroyed near that and a few spikes further in on the same side. Almost like it would have looked like had a genuine attack came from that direction and headed straight for the centre of the base. No zombies were around.

I also find it weird they attacked blade traps that were not on at the time.

Anyways, I was under the impression that nothing could happen in a chunk when the players are nowhere near it, or has this changed? This was MP co-op but a private server. If this is now a thing it will change how we play I think.

This happened to me back in Alpha 12.5 or maybe Alpha 13, not sure now. Thankfully it never happened again. I guess it's not supposed to happen because it's undesirable. After all, the zombies are supposed to attack you trying to eat your brain, not to eat your bacon and eggs you stored in your chest, but in theory a random wandering horde could cause some damage if the path calculated for their AI went through the base. Try to never leave anything running when you leave the base and maybe play on unlisted hosts or at least hosts protected with password when you want to play with your friends, because there's also a chance that your base was simply raided, destroyed by other players...

Did you see any zed corpses?

Its possible some players opportunistically raided you as most servers LCP multiplier is lower when the players that placed them are online.

Players will kite zed into your base to break into it now, its another reason why I want zed block damage to be reduced.

Our base was a steel fortress but none of its automatic defences were left on when this happened. 4 forges were burning and all players were all out on quests for the entire day. On returning, the base had taken considerable damage. Not random bug-related damage, but precision damage. There were a few holes in the outer fence, a few blade traps destroyed near that and a few spikes further in on the same side. Almost like it would have looked like had a genuine attack came from that direction and headed straight for the centre of the base. No zombies were around.

I also find it weird they attacked blade traps that were not on at the time.

Anyways, I was under the impression that nothing could happen in a chunk when the players are nowhere near it, or has this changed? This was MP co-op but a private server. If this is now a thing it will change how we play I think.

That sounds like the A17 AI in action there.

That stinks.

Hope you didn't lose any supplies.

If I remember correctly if your forges are at least 63 or 64 blocks down away from the surface screamers will leave you alone.

in 16.4 thats definitely how it was.

Not sure of how it is lately, can't they dig now?

I've always preferred to embrace Screamers rather than avoid them.

Make an area surrounded by cheap spikes and put your forges there.

Free loot [well.... in A16 it was... now you may see a bag here and there].

i bet it was a wandering horde that spawned just before the last guy left, tore a path thru the base heading toward their target coordinate. would keep going until the last player left the vicinity and the chunk despawned, one of those rare occasion type things. was it a public server, could another player have been nearby keeping the chunk active? either that or just a bad cause of perfect timing

I've always preferred to embrace Screamers rather than avoid them.

Make an area surrounded by cheap spikes and put your forges there.

Free loot [well.... in A16 it was... now you may see a bag here and there].

I always found them to be very annoying while trying to work on a base, Interrupt what Im doing, find the damn screamer, kill it, and return to what I was doing,

a self imposed "limitation" the devs placed upon us back in A9 or 10 with heat index to limit player production.

I'll be the first one to tell you, I hate superficial limitations, I'll always circumvent those if I can.

I suspect a wandering horde as well. It has happened to me a couple times in A16 before I was at a stage to spawn screamers. In each case, it was reasonable that a horde could have spawned just as I was traveling away. The most they would do is ruin my traps. However, in A17, sometimes those wandering hordes will attack things, especially at night... I don;t know what triggers that to happen. One night I watched a wandering horde take down at least 6 trees for no reason at all.

i bet it was a wandering horde that spawned just before the last guy left, tore a path thru the base heading toward their target coordinate. would keep going until the last player left the vicinity and the chunk despawned, one of those rare occasion type things. was it a public server, could another player have been nearby keeping the chunk active?

This. Or one of your friends is a traitor. The time of suspicion has come...

I suspect a wandering horde as well. It has happened to me a couple times in A16 before I was at a stage to spawn screamers. In each case, it was reasonable that a horde could have spawned just as I was traveling away. The most they would do is ruin my traps. However, in A17, sometimes those wandering hordes will attack things, especially at night... I don;t know what triggers that to happen. One night I watched a wandering horde take down at least 6 trees for no reason at all.

Ewoks

Private server with friends only so wasn't a raid. 2000 hours and many alphas, and I have never seen this, despite typically running 4 to 8 forges 24/7 as we always do.

I am going with the unfortunately timed wandering horde theory. The base would have torn them apart passively if we had left it all turned on, but we tend not to want to burn the gas.

wandering hordes go into area destruct mode when they reach their target coordinate and they dont find a player. aggro'd zed do the same thing. the point was to nullify stilt bases, instead of wandering around trying to figure out how to fly up to the player they will attack the weakest part of the base to try and bring it down. you can use this to your advantage and build pillars of weaker materials around your base and they will attack them instead of the actual base most of the time

I've actually seen this happen as well, wandering horde stopped and just started beating down all the trees by them for some random reason. They were just wandering around at first like usual, then it was like a switch got flipped and half of them walked up to and started to destroy random trees.

I've actually seen this happen as well, wandering horde stopped and just started beating down all the trees by them for some random reason. They were just wandering around at first like usual, then it was like a switch got flipped and half of them walked up to and started to destroy random trees.

Keebler elves, they got a bounty out on them

Archived