This is the stable version?

Ghostlight

After 4 Years of 7 Days at my youtube and twitch channel I'm really thinking about to kick it from the channel.

This is Alpha 16.5 currently. There are at least 4-6 Months to work on this crap. The Pre-Stream version was very exciting, but the last 4 patches destroyed it.

Agreed it's pretty demoralizing, there's so much stuff left to balance and so many little bugs here and there, it really feels like the decision making behind it was something along the lines of "yo it's christmas let's push it out".

The only good thing about it being stable is we might just see a lot of mods coming up soon. Because quite frankly vanilla is in a terrible state right now.

I'm not DEFCON 1 about the state of A17, but if we've really reached what is considered an appropriate build for the general game-playing public, my expectations for the final build of this alpha have taken a bit of a hit. Leaving aside my personal bugaboos with major game mechanic overhauls -- which I admit to being extremely subjective, the game performance, balancing issues, and world generation are a far cry from what we saw with initial stable releases of the past few alphas.

I hope at the very least that A18 won't see the same interval of deployment we saw between A16 and A17.

All that being said, I'm grateful to TFP for their work on such a great game. A16.4, with or without mods, is a far better product than about 90% of other EA games out there.

Stable: generally means doesn't crash a ton, and most stuff works good, but doesn't mean bug free, NO game is bug free ever. The devs felt the game was stable enough to be pushed to the public, and I agree, i've personally not had any problem at all in any of the builds really. I probally got lucky though.

I know the game has issues running on a mac, but then I have to ask the question: why in the hell are you trying to game on a mac in the first place? I see mac's are most business computers, but as a poor choice for playing games on. Mostly due to apples hard-ass line of having to have their own special coding that just makes it piss game devs off as they have to code it specially so it works on the mac.

Oh come on folks.

This is what they released for Christmas and then went on a break.

Give them a chance.

We know there's a LONG list of bugs to fix and, of course, there's more optimization.

And for those saying they are going back to 16.......

..... which 16 is that again?

Oh right..... 16.4 if I'm not mistaken. [Notice the point four at the end of that?]

Oh come on folks.

This is what they released for Christmas and then went on a break.

Give them a chance.

We know there's a LONG list of bugs to fix and, of course, there's more optimization.

And for those saying they are going back to 16.......

..... which 16 is that again?

Oh right..... 16.4 if I'm not mistaken. [Notice the point four at the end of that?]

I think people only care because they feel calling it stable in time for Christmas feels rushed to them. I personally know people who are only bothering to play the game now even though they've owned it since the release of Alpha 17 because it's labeled stable.

It’s fine. People only remember 16.4. If they remembered 16.0 they wouldn’t be surprised nor dismayed.

Everything being said now by doom and gloomers mirrors what was said when their beloved and sacred A16 left experimental.

I remember A16.

I still enjoyed A16 more than the current A17, I'm trying, I really am, but I just can't like this game in its current build. So many things with the right idea, just executed horribly wrong.

I, ummm...enjoy 17.

The attribute system gives me several different games to play through, where in 16.4, my character played more or less the same each time because I COULD do everything...right from the start.

My A17 base FEELS more like a base than my A16 bases did. My a16 bases were stilts with grated floors, because trying to defend all 4 sides of a base from pro athlete sprinters before they got to the walls and started beating on them was pretty futile without the most giant field of barbed wire ever. In 17, i defend a giant block base with an open door and a single-block wide bridge approach...I have to actively defend it. It also feels like a real fortification...they COULD try to break through a solid stone slab to collapse it, or they could walk in the defended funnel into my gunfire...it feels like a more realistic defense, with zombies taking an open path to me.

I really enjoy the mods, and I HATED having to deal with 600 different levels of quality, with quality degradation every time I repaired my gear. Now i can put the mods I want on...and each early/mid game mod feels like an upgrade, since they boost damage...just like finding a higher quality tool in A16 did. And my gear never degrades now.

Sure i miss learning by doing...but now since i have to choose what to advance, I can start a new game in the future with different early choices and play a significantly different game. Sure the dungeons are a bit gimmicky, but i can walk in with a sledgehammer/shotgun and no stealth at all and they play out like a more organic dungeon, with zombies coming to me each room rather than the worlds most annoying hide and seek game.

The game IS stable, we can all agree its not perfect, there are things we would all change. But there are likely to be at least 3-5 new iterations before work on a18 for them to address the problems. Cut the guys some slack and see how the game pans out.

Most seem to forget the wailing between 16 up to 16.4, mostly consisting of "too easy" and "bored by day 30" Now its too hard and boring on day ONE when it is actually just more focused on survival the first few days. As for the rng it can surprise and devastate and always has, thats part of the fun! Sure there are issues to fix, but the games a lot more fun and challenge this time.

it really feels like the decision making behind it was something along the lines of "yo it's christmas let's push it out".

Well of course that was the reason to push it to stable.

I mean people are going to be on holiday over the Christmas break so why wouldn't they make it available to everyone to play with?

It's stable enough to play, and you would be waiting a long time (another 18 months?) before there were no bugs left to fix...

I love a17, it's a hell of a lot better than a16 which got dull very quickly and was way too easy. Loving the increased challenge and the pois. I take the "stable release as a means for them to get it out to everyone for an extended test over Xmas without it being opt in with a longer break between updates to allow people to get further into their playthroughs to find as many bugs as possible. Seems like a good plan to me.

Well of course that was the reason to push it to stable.

I mean people are going to be on holiday over the Christmas break so why wouldn't they make it available to everyone to play with?

It's stable enough to play, and you would be waiting a long time (another 18 months?) before there were no bugs left to fix...

Hey Stompy!

Hadn't seen you post in awhile.

Hope things are well with you.

Also, yeah, agree with your post.

It’s fine. People only remember 16.4. If they remembered 16.0 they wouldn’t be surprised nor dismayed.

Everything being said now by doom and gloomers mirrors what was said when their beloved and sacred A16 left experimental.

Really. No more replayability? Same items at same level every single play-through? Blandness embodied. Zero need to explore or loot past day 30? Perk system that dissociates what you do from what you become good at doing, and puts earning XP above all else?

Sorry I don't remember these complaints about A16.

I love a17, it's a hell of a lot better than a16 which got dull very quickly and was way too easy..

What gamestage did you play A16 up till? And on what difficulty. I ask because A17 (after the first week or so) is a walk in the park compared to A16 so I wondered why you would say that.

What gamestage did you play A16 up till? And on what difficulty. I ask because A17 (after the first week or so) is a walk in the park compared to A16 so I wondered why you would say that.

In A16 I could have a forge and workbench by day three.

[in a good game... sometimes it's rougher.]

By day 7 I could have reinforced concrete.

By day 14 I could fall asleep on horde nights because my base was not going down ever.

Sorry but, A16 was nowhere near as hard as A17.

EXCEPT.... for those cheesing the AI with pathing stuff.

That's not to insult the players in any way, mind you.

It's not the fault of the players that the AI allows such things.

Furthermore, Humans tend to find the most efficient way of doing things.

[Especially the lazy ones.]

So finding an efficient way to beat the hordes without using many resources is .... efficient.

Anyway, I don't agree with you that A16 was harder.

- Food was easier to get

- Bases were easier to build [cheese not withstanding]

- Forges and Workbenches were easier to obtain

- Traders were really unbalanced

- I could go on but my coffee's gone now.

Archived