Motion Sickness

Soli116

I made this account just for this. In the previous alphas I've loved this game because it was the one FPS I could play without getting sick. I don't know what changes made it different for me in a17, but something made it so I can't binge play for 5 or 6 hours anymore. I'd like to be able to continue to tell people with FPS motion sickness issues to try this game because it was ok for me, but I can't with a17.

Can you suggest anything I can change so it's more like a16 and less painful?

Thanks.

I don't even have motion sickness issues and this game makes me nauseous. I could run the previous alpha just fine, and the new version is unplayable even on low settings. It runs but it just makes me feel sick, everything is slightly laggy and 5 minutes of play gives me a headache. The issue is the lag in ms between when you move the mouse and when the game responds, its small but noticeable, so your eyes start moving in expectation with where the cursor will be, and then you realize it's not there, and your eye starts moving back to figure out where the cursor is. Add on the textures popping in and out at random distances, and it just isn't playable. Gets even worse once you actually spot a zombie. I noticed when I punch grass I hear the punch before the fist moves, which doesn't help when sounds are linked up with what you see.

Here's a couple things that might help;

The Pimps recommended early on that players might need to lower their resolution to increase frame rates.

-- So try going from 1920x1080 to--> 1600x900

The Field Of View (FOV) is defaulting to 45 degrees for many folks and resulting in motion sickness.

Unfortunately the FOV slider setting isn't currently available under the Video Options game settings. Nor are changes to the .ini files being read by the game; as far as I know at this moment.

There is an in-game way to change the FOV via the console ( the F1 key )

in console enter: " sg FieldOfViewNew XX " <--- I've been using 75 for XX. It's easy to try various values, use the arrow keys to cycle through commands entered into console. Also be sure to include the " New "

Edit: press the F8 key once to see the FPS. If it's below 20 then, (paraphrazing devs, likely badly) the processing of certain things is slowed down to attempt to keep high priority events synced. Point being you'll likely want to lower all video settings down, and possibly resolution, until you're consistently above the 20 FPS threshold.

I play in windowed mode, since full screen made me ill, even in previous alphas. My resolution is at 1280x800 (16:10). I just turned VSYNC off to see how that goes. I have shadows and motion blur off. SSAD, DOF and sun shafts are all off.

Definitely turn off motion blur to aid in the motion sickness issues, and FOV adjustments help. I have a 1080Ti and I still turn off the 'god rays', reflected shadows, and depth of field. For me, I also needed to turn down mouse sensitivity to about 35 to keep the camera from slewing around too fast.

The narrow FOV is a big culprit, and of course motion blur, low FPS and mouse look being to sensitive, but a big issue with this particular Alpha is the jittering of everything when you run around, especially when strafing. Stare at an object on the floor and strafe around it - you will see it stutters. You are seeing that microstutter everywhere and that is what is making the game unplayable, because you can turn all your settings down and use the F1 hack to widen the FOV, but until the devs fix the stuttering, there is nothing we can do.

Archived