Suggestion for food

Skeeter63082

Currently, anything over grilled meat or maybe bacon and eggs just isn't worth making for maintaining max stamina. Higher level food, while restoring a large amount of max stamina is almost worthless due to nobody really wanting their max stamina to drop below 85% at any given time. This means consuming lower level food more often, leaving the more hearty meals essentially untouched. The only real advantage those foods have are a large amount of health regen if you're wanting to heal without burning up medical supplies, however, once you are at the stage in the game where you are making such food, medical supplies usually aren't a big issue.

My suggestion is instead to focus on max stamina duration over time instead of amount restored. Lower level food might restore 1% hunger (and ultimately max stamina) every second for 5-10 seconds as they currently do while higher level foods would instead restore 1% max stamina every 3-5 seconds for up to several minutes. This would give the higher level food a much more important role as you can eat something more hearty right before something that is going to be fairly stamina intensive over a long period of time, i.e. mining, woodcutting, or moving over a long distance without a motorized vehicle while maintaining the value of lower level food as the quick pick-me-up when you need your max stamina back faster.

I feel this would better take advantage of the more diversified recipe list we have in A17 as well as giving people more strategic options of which food to use for certain activities and encourage people to take the Master Chef perk beyond the first tier.

My play time in A17 is rather short and maybe I'm wrong, but there seems to be an overfill buffer that enables eating over the max stamina limit which enables not losing max stamina for a while after (just like it is in Minecraft). Better foods could just give better buffer (haven't tested with better food than bacon and eggs).

fullness doesnt stop at 100%, and when you eat your fullness goes up over time instead of all at once. if you spend all night mining, higher level foods make a big difference. eat anytime your max goes to 90 or below, and use red tea and just keep plugging away. making grilled meat is a waste of meat, you get less stamina regen per unit of meat than with better meals.

Pretty much all we ate was bacon and eggs previously and cornbread, so nothings really changed other than the fact its been locked behind a skill point. :miserable:

Sarcasm aside,

... you're bang on!

At least we know Food is getting some attention this Build.

Madmole mentioned something about it getting tweaked and changed and additions, etc etc.

That's good as it's not quite balanced right atm.

I was unaware of the overfill mechanic, though now that it's being mentioned, I believe I see what everyone is talking about. I suppose it kind of makes sense, but at the same time doesn't make sense. Some actual documentation from TFP would be nice, or otherwise put a more straightforward system like the one I listed above or any other variant that is clear cut.

fullness doesnt stop at 100%, and when you eat your fullness goes up over time instead of all at once. if you spend all night mining, higher level foods make a big difference. eat anytime your max goes to 90 or below, and use red tea and just keep plugging away. making grilled meat is a waste of meat, you get less stamina regen per unit of meat than with better meals.

I'm aware of that part. What I was suggesting was taking the higher tier foods and spreading out the max stam gain instead of it all happening right there, for instance instead of healing 1 max stam/second as it currently is, having higher tier food heal 1 max stam every 3-5 seconds which would still outpace max stamina decrease even under heavy workload, but would give people a longer term solution for all night mining, etc.

Archived