Do mineable resources propagate on the bottom level anymore?

Vulgarius

I believe they do. I haven't found iron, but I did get a rather large amount of lead in my previous build's game. It is so much effort to mine now, it probably gives the impression that there isn't. I might just start up a creative game in random gen for the current build and verify for myself once and for all. You might want to do the same.

The old method of mining down to bedrock and then branch mining out to find veins no longer works reliably. You have to find the gravel patches at the surface and dig them up. Whatever ores are present in the gravel will be present below ground, but they do not seem to be at bedrock level. I usually find them start around 20-30 meters down and they end around 20 meters above bedrock (not exact but that's my estimate of the depth). Also, besides oil shale which is only found in desert the other ores can all be found in pretty much every biome, just to a greater or lesser degree. I have found huge veins of everything in forest biome.they need to update the journal to reflect these changes, they are not accurate

The gravel method was also present in A16, although I never bothered to use it because I never really needed it. Probably will now though. Some ore is present almost at bedrock level, so there doesn't seem to be a hard cut-off at 20 meters.

I think around 20 meters is still a good estimate though... only because you know that they made it so that from elevation 4 through 15 approximately would have a bunch of sand above for the sake of cave-ins, and the sand usually means ores are around. Also at depth 20 you are likely to find sand above you or below you to double your chances of finding ore I suppose.

I have found veins at the bedrock level. I do not go to bedrock to mine, i go to bedrock to tunnel. I stopped at 231 though, because the hunger rate is too fast for me. when things settle down a bit i will return.

At the moment, tunneling is extremely rewarding. with the level gates you will need the stone for cobblestone, and you will want a safe night time travel to the trader if they are far away.

I have found veins at the bedrock level. I do not go to bedrock to mine, i go to bedrock to tunnel. I stopped at 231 though, because the hunger rate is too fast for me. when things settle down a bit i will return.

At the moment, tunneling is extremely rewarding. with the level gates you will need the stone for cobblestone, and you will want a safe night time travel to the trader if they are far away.

You tunnel to the Trader?

Been playing this game for more than four thousand hours and I never thought of that.

TuojPPT.gif

You tunnel to the Trader?

Been playing this game for more than four thousand hours and I never thought of that.

TuojPPT.gif

Yeah dude, its the greatest thing ever. you make a manhole near the trader, pop up in the morning, do your business, then go back home or go do a quest.

Trader close but mountain between you? No problem. Now if you are worried about tunneling under pois, then just tunnel under the road. I dig subway systems to each trader, so if one does not have what i want, i just go to the others.

in navesgane i live in the cell tower, and tunnel to the burnt biome trader, and the western forest trader. Have not kept a save long enough to tunnel to the rest. it's faster than a mini bike and i get all the stone i need for my concrete projects. I also never want for iron.

Yeah dude, its the greatest thing ever. you make a manhole near the trader, pop up in the morning, do your business, then go back home or go do a quest.

Trader close but mountain between you? No problem. Now if you are worried about tunneling under pois, then just tunnel under the road. I dig subway systems to each trader, so if one does not have what i want, i just go to the others.

in navesgane i live in the cell tower, and tunnel to the burnt biome trader, and the western forest trader. Have not kept a save long enough to tunnel to the rest. it's faster than a mini bike and i get all the stone i need for my concrete projects. I also never want for iron.

Yup.

Totally gonna do that now.

c3yksGt.gif

Yup.

Totally gonna do that now.

c3yksGt.gif

So in a16 i did this, but my horde base caveat was that i had a giant hole i stood at the bottom of, and killed all the zombies that did not survive the fall. Loot for days, and selling 8 drop off chests to traders only took 2 in game hours instead of all day. This was a lot of fun in war of the walkers. Make the hole tapered and lined with reinforced concrete and you get tons of all damage on them.

I went so far as to use a ton of dynamite to make a farm covered in iron bars so that i never had to go above ground for food.

The other benefit of tunneling is if RNG gives you an insane map full of weird roads and crazy hills, they won't affect you.

I have not tried draining a lake into one of my tunnels to see if i can use that for a water source, that is on my list of things to do.

My biggest concern is if i tunnel under a poi, and then do a quest there, does the this reset the chunk to bedrock? I don't know, hence why i tunnel under roads.

So yeah, even if they were to spawn in giant rabid moles i would still tunnel. too many benefits and i need the stone.

But yeah, one time i went to bike to a trader, and a horde of zombie bears and dogs spawned in the road. Surface world problems. hence why i tunnel. I mean sure that is hobo stew and leather, but it really does hinder the morning errands.

if you are concerned about popping up and encountering a horde, then build a shack around your manhole, surrounded by spikes.

- - - Updated - - -

But yeah to answer op's question, i also find gold, silver, and diamond veins at the bedrock when i tunnel, real pain in the ass because those have stupid high hit points. Also cave ins from gravel kill me more than zombies.

You found veins of what ore at bedrock. Have you found an Iron vein? Like I posted earlier I have found lots of lead and a tiny bit of coal down there but zero Iron.

if im reading the biomes.xml right, iron will not spawn at bedrock but in the layers between 7 blocks below the surface to 11 blocks above bedrock

anything below 11 blocks above bedrock will be the biome specific ore.

also tunneling can still yield ore if you aim your tunnels toward the surface rock/ gravel areas. you might need to clear out a space to find it because your tunnel might miss the vein

also if you hit gravle try to carefully mine to the top of it and then dig it out from the top down. you will need frames for support but dont dig too high if you are close to the surface unless you want it to turn into an open pit mine

I do this all the time and I have never died while mining

if im reading the biomes.xml right, iron will not spawn at bedrock but in the layers between 7 blocks below the surface to 11 blocks above bedrock

anything below 11 blocks above bedrock will be the biome specific ore.

also tunneling can still yield ore if you aim your tunnels toward the surface rock/ gravel areas. you might need to clear out a space to find it because your tunnel might miss the vein

also if you hit gravle try to carefully mine to the top of it and then dig it out from the top down. you will need frames for support but dont dig too high if you are close to the surface unless you want it to turn into an open pit mine

I do this all the time and I have never died while mining

That's what I'm seeing both in the xml's and in the world also. No iron veins deep. Now if only Gazz would actually answer the question himself instead of snarking that we don't reading the in game mining journal. (which btw does NOT answer the question of deep level iron ore veins) I don't mind some snark for some stupid questions but really? Is asking about ore distibution so bad?

Now if only Gazz would actually answer the question himself instead of snarking that we don't reading the in game mining journal.

Gazz not snark?

That's like... his thing. It's what he does.

We wouldn't love him the same if he wasn't snarky.

[Though maybe we'd make more progress..... but you know... six and one half-dozen.]

At least the pictures LOOK cool.

mZkh23Y.jpg

Archived