I have been playing since alpha 15 and love this game. I have played with my xbox 360 controller, then an xbox one controller. Now I upgraded to two xbox series controllers. They both fail to work correctly in 7 days. If I enable direct input in the launcher they work but only for a few minutes in game then stop working. If I disconnect the controller by turning it off and then back on again it works for a few minutes and then stops responding. This doesn't happen in other games. The controller work fine.
Steps I've tried so far: enable direct input, tried my modded version and vanilla version of the game. Tried verifying integrity of files. Tried a clean install. Tried removing other usb devices. Rebooting pc.