I don't usually do this out of the fear of getting my ideas and drawings stolen, but I got the concept art published on my page anyways so enjoy!
This is one of my concepts for a possible zombie in 7 days to die. As far as i can tell, the lore is ambiguous so there's plenty to work with.
The game lacks unique zombies (with the exception of the cop and spider zombie, we don't talk about the demolisher) with specific ways to kill them, so i decided to create a more peculiar zombie to give the player a bit more trouble. The Rioter is supposed to be a front line zombie, not exactly a tank, but more like a bruiser (essentially a fighter/tank jack of 2 trades type of guy) to destroy the player's base, and bring the player's attention to him, making him sort of a mini boss. All of this, without being to extravagant or too fantasy-like.
Lore-wise it developed hard chitin on his body (major muscle areas like the chest) through infections, mutations and previous drug usage on it's body and like the rest of the 7 days to die zombies, he is aggressive as f*ck and not necessarily stupid. Reckless in combat damaging everything in it's path with minimal care while having some special attacks to pull the player into an intense fight scenario. It's most unique feature is the chitin that protects the more meaningful parts of it's body, that when destroyed, open up big windows to deal good amounts of damage to it. Until then, keep shooting him with heavy firepower and watch that chitin drop.
Implementation wise, since the game already has the typical 5 limb + torso damage multipliers, the chitin is essentially another entity that protects the actual zombie, not exactly something that strays too far from what the zombies currently have.
Rioter - Bruiser Zombie/MiniBoss/BaseWrecker
Health: 1500 Speed: Walks faster than the player because it's size (player forced to sprint in short distances) Height: 2,5 Blocks tall (player is roughly 2) Damage: 40 per hit Block Damage: 200 per hit Delay per attack: 0,8s Night Behaviour: Same as day Blood Moon: Runs (Doesn't sprint)
- Wasteland biome only, with the exception of the medical facility test chambers
- Starts spawning in bloodmoons after day 21 (max 2-3)
- Maximum of 5 can spawn in a bloodmoon beyond day 35
- 1-2 minutes between spawns
- Full chitin armor on the body
- Can only be damaged if the particular chitin has been destroyed
- Unbalanced main arm (right arm)
Head: 200 Chest: 500 Back: 300
Right Arm: 350 (not chitinous, only damageable by explosions/ 7.62 AP/ shotgun shells) Left Arm: 200 (not chitinous, 300 each) Legs: 300 (not chitinous, 300 each)
[Damage Multipliers] (after chitin is broken)
Head multiplier: 2x dmg Chest multiplier: 1.5x dmg Back multiplier: 2x dmg Limbs: 1x dmg
- Large right arm (deals 75dmg instead of 50), slower attack
- 20% chance to do a swipe attack with his right hand and cripple the player's limbs, as well as launching the player backwards 3-5 blocks
- 30% chance to slam his hand downwards, hitting the floor if it misses (deals 80 dmg to the player and 400 to the blocks in a 3x3 radius, decays)
Concept art below:
Feel free to write down any feedback on the design (although it's a rough sketch, the design is pretty much finished) and/or balancing of the zombie.
And if you would like to see this in-game, share it and get the developers attention!