I said it as a joke, but to get serious for a moment: I think these changes to the underlying structure and xml-capabilities are 10 times as important for the overall quality and longevity of the game. Not only for the mods but for every feature that TFP builts upon it. Just as a reminder, they obviously use the xml themselves for high-level features and being able to create and debug one high-level feature in 2 weeks instead of 2 months makes a lot of difference.
I didn't do much modding, in fact there is no finished mod from me anywhere to be found. But I tried to implement a mod to change how farming works. 7D2D mod capabilities are really easy to get into, but on the other hand it is obvious that a lot of the code below the xml was developed just enough to support the one feature it was supposed to handle. Try to use it for something else and you soon find out that a lot of the xml has hidden dependencies, quirks and limitations.
Examples of this are the ammunition boxes found in some mods that give you 30 to 50 bullets of a caliber you select. The modders (apparently) had to use an intermediate ammo box because the xml couldn't handle giving 30 bullets directly to you after selecting the quest reward even though the syntax for handling it is available, it just doesn't do the expected (I'm guessing here, correct me if I'm wrong)
My farming mod also didn't get very far: If you look at the XML, there is an obvious syntax which would give you two different items when you harvest a plant (for example the food and a seed). If you try it you find out that the xml can't handle this general case, because the code underneath it was just developed far enough to handle the case 7D2D uses in vanilla. Sure, maybe this is only a bug or my xml-foo is just too sketchy, but my take on this is: The underlying framework while very powerful has a real need for a clean-up.